Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you do with a book that stinks?
I ditch it. 75 75.00%
I still read it. 25 25.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #46
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
I usually read the book unitill I absolutely cannot anymore or forget to open it up again after I closed it for a couple hours.
There is no planned quitting on the book.
Funny that Goodkind was mentioned here, I read first book and liked the scope of it. Tolerated 2nd and stopped in disgust on the 3rd (10th page) aka cannot anymore - never to touch him again ever.
As far as bad english go, weber and ringo are prime examples. I do give them benefit of doubt, since vorkosigan saga started out quite bad as well. Now Bujold is a pleasure to read just for her prose.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #47
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I think that more readily describes what I do, as well. I just don't get around to finishing books that aren't enjoyable to read. I often have more than one in progress at a time, and some I just never get back to.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #48
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Neither of the choices heh...

I think I remember throwing away a book once.

But I have hundred I didn't choose to read very far.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #49
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Sage. Ex Sony (PRS-500, -600, -650 and Nook)
My favorite coffee cup has the logo on it, "So many books... So little time."

I'm also in the, "life's too short to read bad books," camp, but only because there are so many good ones out there. The trick is in finding the difference.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #50
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Nancy Pearl, the librarian who wrote Book Lust says if the book doesn't have your interest after 50 pages, you should toss it.
And if you're over 50 years old, subtract your age from 100 and only read that many pages before you give up.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I tried reading the lasted offcering from J.R.R. Tolkien thanks to Christopher Tolkien's publishing of his father's notes. It's just dry and boring as all can be. I didn't even get past chapter 1 as I skimmed it and it's more like a reference book then a novel. Glad I got it from the library. I do not understand how it could have been a best seller it's that bad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #52
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I tried reading the lasted offcering from J.R.R. Tolkien thanks to Christopher Tolkien's publishing of his father's notes. It's just dry and boring as all can be. I didn't even get past chapter 1 as I skimmed it and it's more like a reference book then a novel. Glad I got it from the library. I do not understand how it could have been a best seller it's that bad.
If you're talking about The Children of Hurin, you have to get to about chapter three before the story really starts moving, but overall it's a lot more like Silmarillion than LotR. It's worth reading, if you feel like giving it another shot some time.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:10 AM   #53
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

I'm in the "gong it and move on" category. I'll cut some extra slack to an author with a proven (to me) track record, but not a lot. Even my favorite authors have put out the occasional clunker.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
As far as bad english go, weber and ringo are prime examples. I do give them benefit of doubt, since vorkosigan saga started out quite bad as well. Now Bujold is a pleasure to read just for her prose.
Weber writes bad English, but I can overlook it because he's an excellent storyteller. For me, the story is the most important element of a book - if it "hooks" me, I can overlook "literary failings".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #55
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
After a lifetime of finishing almost every book I started, I've only recently been able to put down books if I'm not enjoying them or at least getting something out of them. But I continue to feel terribly guilty every time I do, and I suspect that I will at least attempt to finish every one of them eventually.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #56
jasonkchapman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldkit View Post
After a lifetime of finishing almost every book I started, I've only recently been able to put down books if I'm not enjoying them or at least getting something out of them. But I continue to feel terribly guilty every time I do, and I suspect that I will at least attempt to finish every one of them eventually.
Why? Once upon a time, I suppose, publishers were in it for the love of the books. They published works that they wholeheartedly believed deserved to be published. You can still find that in the small press world. If that's the case, sure, it might be worth looking for what the publisher saw in it.

Most of them, now, make their decisions based on what will sell. It doesn't have to be good, it just needs a good hook, or a good media tie-in. "Hey, we'll publish this book because the author's a recovering alcoholic who was abused by a wandering gorilla tribe! Who cares if it's any good? We'll get lots of publicity! They won't know it stinks until after we get their money."

If it's bad, I skip it. If it's really bad, the author goes on my "avoid like the plague" list. There are just too many books out there that do deserve to be read.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #57
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I only recently found myself in this situation, with one of the free Dr. Who e-books recently linked to on this site. Of the four I downloaded, one of them bored me to tears!

I felt very satisfied finding the book in my file manager, and hitting the delete button. Gone, neat and clean. Next?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I only recently found myself in this situation, with one of the free Dr. Who e-books recently linked to on this site. Of the four I downloaded, one of them bored me to tears!

I felt very satisfied finding the book in my file manager, and hitting the delete button. Gone, neat and clean. Next?
Most of the Dr. Who books are pretty terrible. "Fan fiction" in the worst sense of the word.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #59
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Actor movement, decor and explosions are more essential to television than story. Although for Dr. Who I would have thought a story to be more important.
Take for instance the series 'Red Dwarf', which is hilarious, that would make for terrible reading. It's been completely built on character differences and 'réparties'. Not all fiction is intelligent and some only at some times.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Take for instance the series 'Red Dwarf', which is hilarious, that would make for terrible reading. It's been completely built on character differences and 'réparties'. Not all fiction is intelligent and some only at some times.
Actually the "Red Dwarf" books are wonderful. Extremely funny.