Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
trying it out and owning one are two completely different things. Without the apps loaded to make it a useful tool "For You" a try out is useless.
I see, you have to accept Jesus first and then you understand and are given the keys to heaven

Same could be said about a netbook or DroidX or ....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It could indeed. In all cases, it's the software that makes it a useful tool. The computer on its own may indeed look pretty, but it doesn't do very much.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hope everyone gets an iPad in their stocking tonight! I certainly wouldn't give it back if I did, but for now am going to standby.....I'm happy with my current toys.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #49
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
My parents see no need for a computer at all, lol. They can't imagine what they'd do with one. Shrug. Their loss.

Fortunately, various forms of tech are meant to serve various types of consumers. If you don't have need for something, it makes sense to not buy it. Everyone's needs differ, though.

I knew I wanted a tablet years ago, but it took Apple to deliver one to meet my needs. I'll upgrade as technology merits it. So far, the competition is weak. If other companies can do better, bring it on. As a consumer, I'm loyal only to myself.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #50
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Portable" means "you can carry it" (from the Latin verb "portare" - to carry). The iPad most certainly isn't too big to carry. You can't carry it in your pocket, that's certainly true, but that's a very different thing to say that it's not portable.

When looking at the battery life, you need to compare it with tablet computers (which is what it is, of course). I get a battery life of something like 12h out of mine, which is superb for a tablet.
It's not portable for me because it won't fit in my bag! I also find it a bit heavy and awkward to hold. There are many things that I can carry in my hands if I had to but some are just to large for me to carry them around with me everyday, or at all. As for the battery life, 10 or 12 hours is not really long enough for me. I wouldnt want to have to remember to charge it every day. With my mobile, havng to charge an ipad everyday aswell would be a bit much for me. I guess it's down to personal preference.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #51
kennyc

I'll be glad when we get nuclear powered portable devices than never need charging....
Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #52
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I have to say I was a signed up member of the apple hater squad, untill I got given a first generation iPod touch. I was so impressed with the user interface, I have not looked back since.

The lesson I learnt from that was, I will never slate a product until I have tried it myself.

Shame others cannot say the same.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #53
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
My main issue with the iPad is the size - I had an iPod Touch for a while and really liked it, but it was just a little bit too small, so for my purposes I think a 7" tablet would be much more appropriate. The iPad is definitely larger and heavier than I want, but if the much speculated about 7" version of the iPad ever becomes reality, I'll have a tough time resisting!

Last edited by KarenH; 12-24-2010 at 02:23 PM.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #54
Figlilly
Zealot
Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figlilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2&3, Paperwhites, Kindle Touch, Kobo Clara, IPad Air2
I didn't read the article because I get bored with people - even clever articulate ones - sneering down their noses at Apple/IPads etc.

For me the IPad doesn't have to be practical. It is too big for my handbag and too awkward to hold on the bus; the battery runs flat too fast for serious book reading; but it is a little of everything and much, much better than the boring little netbook I bought and gave away. What's more, thanks to HarryT for providing the information, I can play my old Infocom text adventures on it. Coolness personified.
Figlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The one reason I got an iPad is because it does what I need it to do better than any other tablet I've seen. At nearly three times the weight of my Kindle, I wouldn't recommend it for reading, but for word processing on the go, it's fantastic. The ability to edit manuscripts in .doc format and swap them with my PC makes it a perfect fit for me.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #56
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
There are new or updated items coming out every day. If you wait for the iPad Gen 2 as soon as you get it you'll start hearing about rumored new features coming in the iPad Gen 3. It's not just Apple (although they are more sluggish than most when it comes to adding features), it's the tech cycle. As soon as you bring an electronic gadget home from the store it's halfway to obsolescence.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I wanted to make sure I got an iPad before they decided to come out with a version with a camera. A camera function would have meant I couldn't carry it to work.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #58
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
My main issue with the iPad is the size - I had an iPod Touch for a while and really liked it, but it was just a little bit too small, so for my purposes I think a 7" tablet would be much more appropriate. The iPad is definitely larger and heavier than I want, but if the much speculated about 7" version of the iPad ever becomes reality, I'll have a tough time resisting!
Just goes to show different strokes for different folks! I think the sizing is perfect- it's just the right size (in my opinion) to view a page of a pdf without any awkward scrolling or cropping the edges. I looked at the samsung galaxy tab as well and i thought it was just too darn small. but you might look into that if you want a 7 inch screen!
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #59
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
Me I just buy what gadget I find useful in my life and let others get on with the slanging match, except for today, because I'm bored and sat in Starbucks on my IPad!!!!
The iPad must be a sturdy product then...what other device were you using while you sat on it?????
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #60
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm convinced that UAC is the reason I haven't had a "tech support" call since she got a Vista laptop. The dire warnings terrify her, which keeps her from installing the random nonsense that used to plague her old computer. (I once removed 8 browser toolbars from her computer. 8. Half the screen was toolbars.)
I can empathize...I'm the family tech and I don't get nearly as many calls since my father bought a windows 7 PC. I thank God for UAC!!!
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote