Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #46
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens75 View Post
Now the catch that I have not seen anyone else say is that I CAN MANUALLY email the Kindle the LA Times without any problem through Calibre.

Does anyone have any ideas? This does sound like it could be a problem with Calibre.
I'm quite sure it is NOT a Calibre issue. I have encountered situations where manually sending works after auto send failed, but also where manually sending fails after auto sending failed. It's sporadic and inconsistent.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #47
scorton
scorton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle wi-fi
I had this up until today so - here is my tuppence worth!

Couldn't get it to work - so created a new gmail account - associated it with my kindle account and it works

However when try to send anything over 15mb I get the timed out error

Will try again in a couple of days
scorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 PM   #48
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk View Post
Using Hotmail for my automated download and send this morning for 16 feeds went off without a hitch. WSJ was 6.5mb, NYT was 2.3mb.

kidblue, how large was your NYT feed? I doubt this would have any impact on this problem but I have calibre set up to convert feeds to mobi format with the "page setup" designed for Kindle.
Yup, everything converts to Mobi on mine as well, definitely never over 10 MB. Still going strong on being screwed up
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #49
Dave Wadsley
Dave Wadsley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I really value Calibre and especially the facility to email newspapers to my kindle. Thanks for all your work on this.

Since the last upgrade of Calibre, however, I have been having similar problems as others in the thread with gmail.....Started as an intermittent fault but became impossible to send from gmail. I have just changed my default email address from gmail to my blueyonder (Virgin) email account. (This account is now operated by google so as a non-techy I hoped it would work as gmail has been doing until recently). It worked straightaway. I wait to see whether it continues to operate or whether the Google problem will just start appearing in my virginmail!
Dave Wadsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #50
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
This is anecdotal but I'm also having issues with Gmail when I access it through Outlook 2007--sporadically getting server disconnects and failure to connect. Today it's behaving itself, but not yesterday. I agree with Kovid's comment in the other thread that perhaps Gmail has introduced some anti-spam filtering that is disrupting things. I'm going to try serializing my activity (i.e. do feeds one at a time) and see if that helps.

By the way, for people now using Hotmail, you need to allow Hotmail to verify your account by sending you a text message with a code that you enter to prove you are a real person. Otherwise, Hotmail will block your account pretty well every day if you use it from Calibre. Wait until Hotmail blocks you in the web interface and it will offer you this option.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #51
clanger9
clanger9 doesn't litterclanger9 doesn't litter

It is something to do with Gmail. It happens almost 50% of the time for me.

Here is the error message from the Gmail server when sending mail from calibre-smtp:

Code:
reply: '421 4.7.0 Temporary System Problem.  Try again later (SF). y15sm1441161weq.6\r\n'
reply: retcode (421); Msg: 4.7.0 Temporary System Problem.  Try again later (SF). y15sm1441161weq.6
data: (421, '4.7.0 Temporary System Problem.  Try again later (SF). y15sm1441161weq.6')
send: 'rset\r\n'
Python function terminated unexpectedly: Connection unexpectedly closed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 147, in main
    return run_entry_point()
  File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 116, in run_entry_point
    return getattr(pmod, func)()
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 224, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 104, in sendmail
  File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 712, in sendmail
  File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 438, in rset
  File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 363, in docmd
  File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 340, in getreply
smtplib.SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed
It's not just affecting Calibre. See more issues here.
I can't see how this can be fixed, unless Calibre is changed to repeatedly retry sending the email...

Last edited by clanger9; 11-20-2010 at 02:42 PM.
clanger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well lets hope the 'Temporary System Problem' really is temporary and google fix their servers.

I am planning to refactor the email sending so that email sends become normal jobs like conversions, at that time I'll look into adding a wait followed by a retry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:45 AM   #53
Herchu
Herchu began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
FYI
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...a812fd0c&hl=en
Herchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #54
27spots
27spots began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickredding View Post
By the way, for people now using Hotmail, you need to allow Hotmail to verify your account by sending you a text message with a code that you enter to prove you are a real person. Otherwise, Hotmail will block your account pretty well every day if you use it from Calibre. Wait until Hotmail blocks you in the web interface and it will offer you this option.
You're going to have to do this continually. I've had to this two times already and the only use I have the hotmail account is for Calibre.

What's going to suck is it appears the easiest way to verify the account is to send a text message and if you're overseas and don't have access to your phone, you are going to be dead in the water.

Last edited by 27spots; 11-21-2010 at 07:00 PM.
27spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #55
27spots
27spots began at the beginning.

Device: none
Found this via Google:

Original post here: http://markmail.org/message/sqggzbt5...+state:results

Any relevance?

Quote:
PROBLEM

Using Gmail SMTP to send email from a client system using Outlook Express email client, the email client fails to send email from the Outbox queue, timing out with the error message: .................................................. .................................................. An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Fw: Death wish', Account: 'BitBucket (gmail)', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 4.7.0 Temporary System Problem. Try again later. q13sm6319122qbq', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67 .................................................. ..................................................

Extending the timeout value from 1 minute to the maximum 5 minutes does not solve the problem. (Tools | Accounts | Account | Properties | Advanced | Server timeouts 1 minute --> 5 minutes) A search of the Gmail-POP-and-Forwarding forum yields no solutions. All SMTP settings are correct, and have been working up until this problem.

SOLUTION

Move the first message in the Outbox to the Drafts folder. The rest of the messages in the Outbox are then released, and SMTP works normally to send the client email.

DISCUSSION

It turned out that the first message in the queue, addressed to eight recipients, had a .wmv attachment of 7.05 MB. Even though this is under the nominal 10 MB Gmail limit, and would be under the limit even with some communication overhead, its transmission apparently timed out.

The upload speed of the internet connection on this client system is at least 35 KB/s steady state, and no other transmissions were in progress through the router or on the LAN. The upload should take no longer than 3.4 minutes. The actual timeout was measured with a stopwatch at 6:30, so it extended beyond the nominal 5 minutes allowed by Outlook Express. Perhaps a 10-minute limit in Outlook would have allowed the transmission.

There ia a way to increase the max server timeout value by modifying a registry key, .................................................. .......... http://www.x-setup.net/forum/showthr...=4247#post4247

You'll have to set the following Registry values to the values you wish (in seconds):

HKCU\Identities\{Identity GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\Account ID\ POP3 Timeout (DWORD) SMTP Timeout (DWORD .................................................. ........

I didn't find the key under that branch. But I did find the SMTP Timeout registry value under the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\00000001

Current value 0x12C (300) --> 0x258 (600)

Also under:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1343024091-1454471165-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Internet Account Manager\Accounts\00000001

Setting either the SMTP Timeout value to 600 and the POP3 Timeout to 600 as well, and rebooting the client, still was not able to get past about 6:15 before the connection timed out. So perhaps Google itself has a hard shutoff timeout working here (although the client still indicated 5 minute timeout even after set to 10 minutes in registry).

There is no evidence of this being the problem in the error message, which lasted for at least 24 hours of attempts. It was only as an afterthought that I even moved the lead email, unlocking the Outbox queue.
27spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

not that I can see. the quoted solution is simply to not send the email with the large attachments. That is not a valid solution for calibre.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #57
coastline
coastline began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I was very happy to discover Calibre and even happier to find the News downloads that automatically e-mail to my Kindle.

However the Timeout issue with G-mail and the verification issue with Hotmail seem to rule these out as viable e-mail options for this function.

I have my own domain e-mail but my host does not support TLS/SSL smtp.

Is there no option or no way to add an option to Calibre in order to SMTP without encryption?
coastline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #58
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
I have had a similar problem periodically (not always) in the last two weeks. I use a GMail account for sending and it has worked fine for months. But recently I have been getting this error every once in a while: (How do I run 'CONNECT'?)

ERROR: Failed to email books: Failed to email the following books:

New York Times

please run connect() first
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 645, in _send_mails
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 108, in sendmail
File "smtplib.py", line 730, in quit
File "smtplib.py", line 362, in docmd
File "smtplib.py", line 318, in putcmd
File "smtplib.py", line 310, in send
SMTPServerDisconnected: please run connect() first
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #59
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Now I'm getting STMP AUTH errors from Hotmail (which has been verified, etc.)...
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #60
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

well the next calibre release will have code to retry sending the mail twice, that should improve reliability with GMail.