Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2022, 06:22 PM   #46
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I used to do that a lot more then I do now. But I will do so if I am near enough to a bookstore and have the time.
I at least was talking about digital book price-matching only.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have virtually moved to the the UK to be able to buy something not available in the US. But at least I'm buying rather then stealing.
I've done that twice myself.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 01:28 AM   #48
swimon126
Enthusiast
swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.swimon126 can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Yep, I miss it. There's a nice bookstore (albeit a chain) near my work so I go there 2-3 times a week just to browse (and buy from their online store if I see something interesting). What's neat is they often have short written recommendations attached to many books - it's quite nice.

Sadly, the customer service is supbar at best (i.e. staff looking bored, unfriendly, unmotivated, etc.) -- if the store didn't have such a big selection and a generally nice atmosphere, I would have avoided it altogether. To be honest, the lack of good customer service in stores in general makes it difficult for me to actually want to support them - so I often just end up buying online ..
swimon126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:32 AM   #49
Brandison
Brandison began at the beginning.

Device: none
I buy books online most of the time but when i'm out and there's a book store, I don't mind having a browse.
Brandison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #50
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri2022 View Post
I still go to Barnes and Noble as someone else mentioned it's the only store I go to which isn't a grocery store, I love to wander around and check books, puzzles, Criterion collection, and sometimes I sit and read on my ereader. Do I buy physical books from them? No.
I used to go to the Barns and Noble nearest to to me. They used to have a lot of chairs to sit and read. Now they only have 2.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2022, 11:27 AM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I used to go to the Barns and Noble nearest to to me. They used to have a lot of chairs to sit and read. Now they only have 2.
I've noticed that too. I suspect it has something to do with teenagers who would plop themselves down with five or six volumes of manga they would read cover to cover. How many books would Amazon sell if their Look inside feature let you read the entire book?

When they had more chairs, it wasn't really easier to get one.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:57 PM   #52
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
Ours cut back on the tables and chairs in the coffee area when they first reopened in 2020 (after the early mini-lockdown). They also allowed people to take up a table for just half an hour -- this guideline lasted a few months. Once more people were vaxxed, they brought back the other tables and chairs and removed those guidelines. I don't know whether they reinforced the time restriction -- I'm sure I went over a little bit a couple of times.

However, one of the stores near me did get rid of the chairs near the front (especially when they moved things around), and I think that was done before COVID. But another B&N kept the extra chairs in the magazine section.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:40 AM   #53
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I used to spend a lot of time in both new and second-hand bookstores, but since most of them closed around where I live it's a moot point now.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #54
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Air3 & Palma, Scribe & Paperwhite, Eclipsa 2e, & Libra 2, Ipads
I do and don't miss them. I liked used bookstores more, because they had a better selection than the new bookstores. The new ones used to have brand new content, and it was harder to find the first book in a series once it was over a year old although they'd have the newest addition to the series. I'd always be told I'd have to special order all the earlier ones.

They were just limited on shelf space. And I'd have a lot of trouble finding out if a book was even part of a series to start with. Sometimes the inner leaf of the book would list the other books, sometimes they'd just list all the books in a lump, series or not.

Sure, same problem in a used bookstore, but I was more likely to find the earlier books as well. Less frustrating for me and better prices.

Over the years the local bookstores started ordering fewer and fewer Fantasy and Scifi. Not that they had a lot. But 10 shelves became 7 shelves, then went to 5 shelves... and were replaced by the Young Adult books coming out. Hubby found fewer and fewer computer books, which barely had two shelves to begin with.

I don't think I really miss them, and hardly even go to the used book store anymore. They can't sell what the locals don't bring in, and if the local area isn't into scifi and fantasy, then they don't get any to sell.

I love browsing on Amazon and other ebook sites. I don't have room for more physical books, and now feel guilty walking out without buying anything from real stores anymore. I do wish they were doing well, and still around. I'm just not a customer now.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:08 PM   #55
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Not at all, with the possible exception of used bookstores. I always kind of liked the chance of finding something rare and out-of-print that I wanted at those. However, eBay search is easier, saves gas, and there are definitely bargains to be had.

New book stores leave me cold now. My eyes aren't so good, it's MUCH harder for me to read titles and author names on book shelves than it is to do so on my computer, where they are presented horizontally and not vertically oriented on a book spine!

Further, if I'm not familiar with an author, I like reading some reviews to give me a feel as to whether I might like a book or not. Easier done online.

But I don't actually buy tons of books, never have, can't afford to when I'm reading as much as I do, so the library has always been my best source of books and is and ever shall be, my friend.
graycyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:08 AM   #56
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Barnes and Noble is closing down locations around me and the ones that remain open aren’t as welcoming as they used to be.

The local libraries though are reinventing themselves to offer a more bookstore feel.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #57
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Barnes and Noble is closing down locations around me and the ones that remain open aren’t as welcoming as they used to be.

The local libraries though are reinventing themselves to offer a more bookstore feel.
My Barnes N Nobles closed down over 10 years ago now.We are fortunate to have a Books a Million but I believe those are more regional based
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:02 PM   #58
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
nope not at all. I so DON'T MISS carrying the purchases back home.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:58 AM   #59
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
My Barnes N Nobles closed down over 10 years ago now.We are fortunate to have a Books a Million but I believe those are more regional based
Our Books a Million closed but we still have a Barnes and Noble in the mall
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #60
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't go into bookstores anymore. The ones I miss are the ones I went to when I was young. They had knowledgable staff that knew my taste and would challenge it sometimes. They would recommend books to broaden my horizon without boring me to death. They would ask how I liked the book when I came back. This was obviously only possible because I spent a lot of time there and even more money.

Now they have those chain bookstores in the mall, which I hate. They are like those at the airport, only bigger.

There still is a little bookstore in my vicinty. Sadly my most beloved "book advisor" retired and I never connected with anyone else there.

In the end, since I got a reader and found out about online libraries about a year later, I don't spend money on books anymore. Which is why I'd deem it unfair to participate of their knowledge without spending money in the store anyway.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote