Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #46
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Whenever anyone says, "I like real books!" I want to ask them if they also prefer CRT televisions over flat screens and walkie-talkies over cell phones. (I don't ask, I just want to.)
I like your comparisons, esp the flat screen/CRT one. I will drop that into the next conversation I have like this. People are, of course, meaning nicely bound hard back books, possibly with lavish illustrations (and, as you say, heavy) instead of what they usually read which is mass market paperpacks with considerably less charm.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #47
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Weight is a huge thing, I'm reading the complete Les Miserable's and it is 1800+ pages, I can't imagine reading that in paper (I'm guessing it would topple over and hit me in the head at night ). But I used to only know 1 person with and ereader last year and now I know at least 13.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 AM   #48
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
My wife but does press ganging count? I pretty much just handed it over one day and said"here is your kindle".

She always hated the piles of books lying around so it was easy really.

People want to get all romantic about paper that is not my problem. I have no desire to convince anyone of anything. I will state my case and they can take it or leave it.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #49
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
3 definitely.

Many more possibly.

The definite ones are those I know have an ereader now

The possibles are all the ones I have discussed with on planes, trains, in restaurnts, etc, who might have gotten one.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #50
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
During this Christmas, with the family, we had the following in the same room:

1 Amazon Kindle 3
1 Amazon Kindle 4
1 Sony PRS-650
1 Sony PRS-T1
1 Bookeen Gen3, 1st version
2 Bookeen Gen3, gold edition
1 Bookeen Opus
1 Bookeen Orizon

only two of the adults were reader-less, and of course, mine was the first. And I can count two other readers in the other branch of the family who were bought after seeing mine
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #51
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I've converted my wife, at the loss of my own reader (well, most of the time anyway). Late Xmas/New year present methinks. My sister and her boyfriend seemed to have converted themselves, or at least started using one after I had got one, so I don't know if that counts.

Also managed to get a friend interested, they love the Kindle and it's integrated book purchasing - they're not tech savvy at all and have bought some books already themselves.
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #52
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
People want to get all romantic about paper that is not my problem. I have no desire to convince anyone of anything. I will state my case and they can take it or leave it.
I find it comical when people get all nostalgic over the paper books, stating emphatically that part of their "reading experience" is the feel of the paper. Owning an e-reader doesn't mean all paper is banished from the house.

But again, I have no desire to convert folks too. My needs are entirely introverted and not based on what other people like. There are many things in the tech world (cell phones being one) that I have not involved myself in the zeitgeist therein. Other people can make changes at their own pace too, for sure
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #53
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Husband, daughter, mil, fil, and at least three persons at work, including one family of 5. I could do more, but I am afraid they will try to get on the Chicago Public Library site!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #54
bookhound78
bookhound78 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I switched over to mostly e-books about a year ago. I still read paper books, but the vast majority of books that I read now are e-books. I love the convenience of having so many books without taking up all of the physical space. I've kind of converted my wife, but she's not totally sold on e-books yet.

-Neal

Last edited by bookhound78; 12-28-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Addition
bookhound78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #55
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
not really my business to tell people what sort of technology they should use to read. Or anything.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #56
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
About zero.

Give or take none.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #57
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
According to my husband, my buying him a K3 in February lead to a minimum of 6 co-workers getting one as well. What I do not know is if any of them owned any other e-readers before then.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #58
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Well I have an update - after tiring of not being able to read my ebooks (due to said wife taking reader) I went out a couple of days ago and bought her a Kobo wireless. Great screen, plenty of room for her books. I've mentioned elsewhere that it's great for people like her who have carpal tunnel issues in the wrists, as she finds it very difficult to hold a DTB open for periods of time. The size/weight of the reader is absolutely ideal, and alslo loves the font scaling too (preferring a larger font).

Plus I get my reader back - and remove all her books from it too!

Last edited by richrock; 12-30-2011 at 06:28 AM.
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #59
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Five. My mother first, because she kept asking me questions about my reader and finally I said, "Do you want one? They're on sale at Borders!" So she cashed in a ton of change and had me buy her one.

Then three of my good friends mostly for the same reason--they asked too many questions. (In fact, one of my friends who got a Kindle just bought her granddaughter one for Christmas. Does that count as half a conversion for me?)

But the biggest surprise? My sister. She didn't read very much in the past outside of magazines--but then she discovered the Sookie Stackhouse series, all of which I had on my reader. So when I got my Kindle Touch, she asked me if I'd give her my old Sony 650 so she could read the series. And now she's got a list of books she wants to get that's about as long as my arm.

Last edited by wallflower75; 12-30-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: because grammar really is my friend.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote