Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #46
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
I ordered the Pocketbook and a Kobo forma cover on one order dated the 8th of August from Goodereader. Prior to making the order I enquired how the order would be sent and they said via Aramex or DHL. They also said (I have all this in writing on the FB messenger app they Use) I would have tracking by 13 August.
I got the tracking on the 20th and received only the pocketbook on the 24th of August the Kobo cover being absent.
Queried and they gave me a Canada post tracking for the cover on 25 August. The cover is currently taking the scenic route to South Africa via New Zealand.
Questions
If the cover was such a big problem why did they not refund that portion of the order?
Surely they know that the South African postal service is completely unreliable and my chances of ever getting the item is very small? I look at this with interest but am not holding my breath. This is why I made a point of asking how the (whole) order would be sent.
Why did they wait until I did not receive a part of the order before sending it on?
O yes, they, in this case Peter, resort to aggression at the slightest query or observation.
And yes if I never receive the item I will be going back to Pay Pal.
Even our local online sellers never send anything via the local post office, see if Takealot ever does that and they do not even have duty and VAT complications to deal with.
If I do get the item I will be amazed and will come back here and tell you about it.

Last edited by ernieh; 08-28-2020 at 08:36 AM.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I don't disagree with the bulk of your post. But:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Surely they know that the South African postal service is completely unreliable and my chances of ever getting the item is very small?
I wouldn't blame a Canadian seller for not being aware of postal service issues in South Africa.

I have sent things to friends living out of the country (Canada and the UK) using our US postal service which, until recently, has always been very reliable. They would then send it on to that destination country's postal service. It wouldn't occur to me to check the situation at destination.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #48
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True but as I expected the order as one delivery (and nothing was said for a long time to dispute that) and they had promised the Aramex/DHL thing before I made the order and I ordered on that basis you can see what my problem is. They are complaining about delivery costs which would be nil if included with the other item. They are also abandoning responsibility because they have given me a tracking number which appears to go nowhere, so far it just states the destination country as New Zealand and just disappears, surely tracking should go to my front gate like the DHL one does before they can wash their hands off responsibility....
Old 08-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
True but as I expected the order as one delivery (and nothing was said for a long time to dispute that) and they had promised the Aramex/DHL thing before I made the order and I ordered on that basis you can see what my problem is. They are complaining about delivery costs which would be nil if included with the other item. They are also abandoning responsibility because they have given me a tracking number which appears to go nowhere, so far it just states the destination country as New Zealand and just disappears, surely tracking should go to my front gate like the DHL one does before they can wash their hands off responsibility....
Oh sure. I'm not absolving GoodEreader. They are either poor businessmen or con artists, depending on how you feel.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:33 PM   #50
ernieh
Connoisseur

Quote:
I ordered the Pocketbook and a Kobo forma cover on one order dated the 8th of August from Goodereader. Prior to making the order I enquired how the order would be sent and they said via Aramex or DHL. They also said (I have all this in writing on the FB messenger app they Use) I would have tracking by 13 August.
I got the tracking on the 20th and received only the pocketbook on the 24th of August the Kobo cover being absent.
Queried and they gave me a Canada post tracking for the cover on 25 August. The cover is currently taking the scenic route to South Africa via New Zealand.
Questions
If the cover was such a big problem why did they not refund that portion of the order?
Surely they know that the South African postal service is completely unreliable and my chances of ever getting the item is very small? I look at this with interest but am not holding my breath. This is why I made a point of asking how the (whole) order would be sent.
Why did they wait until I did not receive a part of the order before sending it on?
O yes, they, in this case Peter, resort to aggression at the slightest query or observation.
And yes if I never receive the item I will be going back to Pay Pal.
Even our local online sellers never send anything via the local post office, see if Takealot ever does that and they do not even have duty and VAT complications to deal with.
If I do get the item I will be amazed and will come back here and tell you about it.
A quick update
The Canada post tracking I was given shows posted in Vancouver and about a week later it ends up in Quebec for sending to the destination country which is shown as New Zealand which is not exactly close to Johannesburg, South Africa! I doubt if there is much chance. I have looked it up and it appears that Canada post is almost as incompetent as South African post especially if they think Johannesburg is in New Zealand, surely Goodereader did not give them the wrong address, after all the Pocketbook component of the order has been in my hands for more than a week already
Advert
Old 09-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #51
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
which is shown as New Zealand which is not exactly close to Johannesburg, South Africa!
What are you talking about? To us over on the other side of the planet and the northern hemisphere New Zealand and South Africa are right next to each other.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #52
ernieh
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
What are you talking about? To us over on the other side of the planet and the northern hemisphere New Zealand and South Africa are right next to each other.
True, l stand corrected
Old 10-04-2020, 03:51 AM   #53
ernieh
Connoisseur

Quote:
A quick update
The Canada post tracking I was given shows posted in Vancouver and about a week later it ends up in Quebec for sending to the destination country which is shown as New Zealand which is not exactly close to Johannesburg, South Africa! I doubt if there is much chance. I have looked it up and it appears that Canada post is almost as incompetent as South African post especially if they think Johannesburg is in New Zealand, surely Goodereader did not give them the wrong address, after all the Pocketbook component of the order has been in my hands for more than a week already
I am trying to attach screen shots of the Canada post tracking. One screen shot shows the position just before taking my problem up with PayPal and one just after. Note that as soon as I went to PayPal tracking in South Africa magically appears even though New Zealand is still shown as the destination country. Queries this end still show nothing. Can't work out what is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21562.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	182444   Click image for larger version

Name:	21603.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	182445  
Old 10-04-2020, 04:06 AM   #54
ernieh
Connoisseur

Another try to attach the correct screen shots. Seems ok, can clearly see the magically appearing details coincidentally appearing after PayPal gets involved. As no details seem to be obtainable this end I am confused, will.see if anything real happens!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201002-125149_Chrome.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	182446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200930-092557_Chrome.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	182447  

Last edited by ernieh; 10-04-2020 at 04:14 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #55
ernieh
Connoisseur

It has arrived, am amazed, two months and 6 days after ordering. How one part of the order can arrive on 24th August and another part of the same order on 14 October is surprising, anyway I have it, it is a Christmas �� miracle!

Last edited by ernieh; 10-14-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Tags
goodereader bad