Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #46
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I mentioned in my review of the first beta firmware that I obtained that curly quotes, em-dashes and such display fine.
Great!

Although I read your review (one of the deciding factors in buying the unit), I missed reading that bit of information.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #47
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I mentioned in my review of the first beta firmware that I obtained that curly quotes, em-dashes and such display fine.
I purchased jetBook (Black color from NewEgg) for my friend who live in Germany. I received it by UPS on Fri and I was very surprised when I realised that it has Firmware version v0.33c (path number v13) that is not available on jetbook.net website yet. I also realised that it has HTML support, dictionaries for all formats and several encoding options like UTF-8, East European Latin, Cyrillic(1251), West European Latin, Turkish(1254),Hebrew(1255), Arabic(1256), Baltic (1257).
I sent e-mail to Ectaco support and asked them to send me the link for
v0.33c version because I would like to update my jetBook but I didn't receive the reply yet. I don't need Turkish or Arabic fonts support but I really need HTML and dictionaries support for all formats like Mobi, RTF and ePub.
I hope to get reply from them on Monday.

Last edited by Kris777; 08-01-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #48
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I DO have a book with curly quotes that displays fine on the Jetbook.

However, there's a whole series of books that do not display them correctly. (I'm not going to delete them from the Reader, in hopes that the update will correct all instances of curly quotes.)

I AM puzzled, however.

Don
Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #49
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

However, there's a whole series of books that do not display them correctly. (I'm not going to delete them from the Reader, in hopes that the update will correct all instances of curly quotes.)

I AM puzzled, however.

Don
If you send me the sample of this book (1-2 pages) I can check if it displays correctly with v0.33c version
Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #50
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
If you send me the sample of this book (1-2 pages) I can check if it displays correctly with v0.33c version
Here's one (of many novels) by Talbot Mundy.

I'll delete the attachment after I see that you've gotten this. I just checked, and these are indeed curly quotes. For some reason, this and a host of others, do not display correctly; whereas, they do display correctly on my computer and on my Kindle2.

(Sorry, but it's the whole novel.)

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Don
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #51
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
As for PDF display I am still experimenting with Feedbook's custom PDF. I tried setting it to match the Jetbook display (3x4). It works OK but something isn't right because it doesn't maintain the margins I set, even when set to full screen. Viewing the 3x4 at 100% shows that the actual size is only 1/9 the screen size.
jetBook has the default option to cut all white margins. This is set on a per-PDF basis. To change for a PDF that is loaded, go to the menu --> Settings (7) --> Show Original File (5). To change back, it is the same procedure, except (5) will be "Hide White Margins" (or something similar, I don't have it in front of me).

The settings I like are 101x128mm with 1mm margins and size 12 fonts. Display in full screen with "show original file" (no white cutting). Seems to be a good size for me.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #52
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Here's one (of many novels) by Talbot Mundy.

I'll delete the attachment after I see that you've gotten this. I just checked, and these are indeed curly quotes. For some reason, this and a host of others, do not display correctly; whereas, they do display correctly on my computer and on my Kindle2.

(Sorry, but it's the whole novel.)

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
Don
I just downloaded this book and I didn't find any problems. Please see the attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3272.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	516.7 KB
ID:	33502  
Old 08-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #53
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just downloaded this book and I didn't find any problems. Please see the attached picture.
I have software v0.30e and patch v12.
I'm using Ariel as my preferred font.

I just changed fonts. Same problem. I'll attempt to take photo of the all this.

Don
Old 08-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #54
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
I have software v0.30e and patch v12.
I'm using Ariel as my preferred font.

I just changed fonts. Same problem. I'll attempt to take photo of the all this.

Don
yes, photo will be helpful. I checked it with version v0.33c (path number v13)
Old 08-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #55
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
yes, photo will be helpful. I checked it with version v0.33c (path number v13)
Hey, Kris. Where can one get fw .33c?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #56
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I know everyone is anxious for the new firmware, but until Ectaco releases it for general distribution, there is nowhere you can get 0.33c from. The jetBook that Kris777 has is a new one that came with that firmware already installed. I do find it interesting that Ectaco is shipping jetBooks with the new firmware, but has not made it available for download yet.

I've had a few requests for the new firmware, but I don't have permission to distribute it or provide links to download it. I'm sorry, but that is the situation.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #57
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Hmm, I am still within 30 days to return my Jetbook to Newegg and get a replacement. I wonder if the white ones now have the new firmware.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #58
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
Hmm, I am still within 30 days to return my Jetbook to Newegg and get a replacement. I wonder if the white ones now have the new firmware.
NewEgg may have the mix of old and new versions (as I know they have 3 warehouses in different states) so you may get the same version from them. I think Ectaco will make new version available for download next week.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #59
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
I wonder if the new firmware has an improved English-English dictionary. The default dictionary contains so few words it is virtually worthless. Is anyone else bothered by the weak English-English dictionary?
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #60
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
Yes, the English-English dictionary is really REALLY terrible. Such a waste for an ebook reader that has the dictionary capacity. And that coming from ETACO, a company specialized in e-dictionaries and translations. I hope they improve it soon.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote