Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #46
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

For anybody out there that is a writer/author... if you have the novel in EPUB or PDF... send me a PM. Our normal deal is we will put it up on our site and split the profits with you 50-50. We are trying to get more content and we do let YOU set the price. This makes money for you and still allows the lowest price for the purchaser.

And how are you going to ensure quality? Without editors, proof readers etc, you will fill your web site up with junk, and I will be wary of buying.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM   #47
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
And how are you going to ensure quality? Without editors, proof readers etc, you will fill your web site up with junk, and I will be wary of buying.
He's right. And I say that as a writer. I have enough awards over here to prove my worth, but Joe Blow on the street may not be a decent writer. Yew start mixing them in with everyone else, yew have a problem.

Of course, that is only if yew mix them in. If yew set them aside on a different part of the site, it may not be so bad.

Then again, just because yew are actually published doesn't mean yew know how to write. There is a lot (and by that I mean A LOT) of pure CRAP out there on amazon and in the bookstores.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #48
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and if you think you can write, just try getting something accepted by a good publisher. It isn't as easy as you think. Standards are quite high. You'll get many rejections - sometimes with helpful suggestions on what you need to improve - so it's worth it just for that.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #49
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
and if you think you can write, just try getting something accepted by a good publisher. It isn't as easy as you think. Standards are quite high. You'll get many rejections - sometimes with helpful suggestions on what you need to improve - so it's worth it just for that.
Sure it is, so long as your ego doesn't get yew to thinking yew know more than the publisher does!
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #50
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
Quote:
Dear All:

Look, I fought like hell to finally come out with a good eBook Store with great pricing. Our prices are well below the others. Some even beat out Kindle.

Do I hate this stupid Agency Model crap. Hell, yes! Do I see it as bad for the eBook and eBook Reader business... damned straight. Would I like to grab one of the Big 6 and cram a hardcover up their backside... sure. BUT... what the hell good is it going to not wait and see how this works out.

I think the Agency Model is going to end up being ruled illegal anyway, class action suits are underway, and many authors are threatening to PULL their works from the Big 6 over this. We all hate it.

BUT... most of my prices on www.MyEZread.com remain fabulous, we are going after independent authors and publishers, and we have voiced our displeasure with the publishers over what is going on.

So, now you all want to desert Astak and go to Baen (whatever they are). Give it a chance to see where Astak can take this. Your buying of eBooks from the MyEZread site saves you money and makes it far more likely we can bring in the independent authors and publishers that you will love. You already know where Astak stands. We hate this crap. But this type of leaving talk really hurts.
Robert -

In no way was I meaning to take a shot at you, Astak or the new online bookstore. My real complaint is against the big publishing houses, Apple, and Amazon for the way they control wha you can read, how and on what device. Now that Apple is getting together with publishers to push up the price of ebook . . . I have just had enough. Personally, the reason I picked the EZ Reader Pro and Astak over any other device out their is its ease of and ability to read multiple formats. I love that I can take my simple non-DRM epub files and easily move them between my EZ Reader and Moto Droid.

Keep up the good work and it is appreciated.
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #51
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
You are a good person, tmgplc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgplc View Post
Robert -

In no way was I meaning to take a shot at you, Astak or the new online bookstore. My real complaint is against the big publishing houses, Apple, and Amazon for the way they control wha you can read, how and on what device. Now that Apple is getting together with publishers to push up the price of ebook . . . I have just had enough. Personally, the reason I picked the EZ Reader Pro and Astak over any other device out their is its ease of and ability to read multiple formats. I love that I can take my simple non-DRM epub files and easily move them between my EZ Reader and Moto Droid.

Keep up the good work and it is appreciated.
Dear tmgplc:

I know we share a lot of the same agravation and frustration. Amazon is the 900 pound gorilla and now we have Apple as the new 1000 pound gorilla. These two are SO big and have SO many customers they can bargain almost anything they want. Now Amazon and Apple are at each other's necks. Normally this would be good news. Normally, I would recommend each buy arms and missiles and duke it our for real. Imagine a strategic strike on Amazon headquarters by Apple Elite Shock Troops or Amazon launching a counterstrike with 16 inch shells on Apple!!

BUT... reality is Astak just seems even smaller and the end users just get smushed.

I can tell you that CES next year will have a new eBook, eBook Reader, Netbook and Tablet Tech Zone in Vegas Janaury 6-10, 2011. While I am sure that the two fat Gorillas will draw most of the attention... it might be an appropriate time to nicely voice displeasure.

Yes, I HATE what these two baboons are forcing; but Astak wants to survive this. EVEN IF you or other members are not buying eBooks yet on our website (www.MyEZread.com)... it is FREE to become a member. Your membership info is kept private (we may send you once a month info on new devices and /or new eBooks... but that is it) becoming a MEMBER gives Astak some strength to help TRY to work direct with the publishers. It takes about one minute!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #52
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
Robertb -

I agree and always support the little guy, especially when they have a better product, better prices, and give a damn about their customers. I run a small business myself. I fully intend to join the bookstore and would much rather purchase an epub from the Astak store over other sources.

Keep doing good work and customers will find you and be loyal to the products and company!
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yes totally disguisted. I've said it all in many threads earlier.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #54
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Well the new pricing really puts a hamper on my purchases since 40% of them are new release novels. I'm already looking at the higher prices for some wishlisted books. Some went from just under $10 to over $20 (hardcover pricing). Others are somewhere in between, but what gets me mad is that most of these books also are released in mass market paperback priced at around $8/9. Why should I go and pay more than I would for a mass market paperback on a eBook? It's not like they're giving me some extras I wouldn't find in a printed bound book.

Unlike Maggie, the two main attractions for my switch to digital was: 1) lower pricing (or was the decline to lower pricing) and 2) digital storage vs. physical storage. I don't see how they'll take away the second, but if most publishers start adopting the new model, then we can pretty much say goodbye to digital books being adopted instead of paper.

Think of how interest in hybrids were initially before any final pricing was announced. There were a lot of people willing to buy into those types cars if the pricing was reasonable. They we found out, you'd be paying $30,000+ for one. Interest mostly disappearing overnight except for a few diehard enough to become early adopters. Now with pricing (and availability) floating down to more reasonable prices, people are slowly starting to adopt the new vehicles. Unfortunately, they are still typically more expensive, but don't offer a significant enough boost in fuel economy compared to the more efficient gas engines out now (not to mention you still pay for gas).

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 04-12-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #55
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pricing with Agency Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Well the new pricing really puts a hamper on my purchases since 40% of them are new release novels. I'm already looking at the higher prices for some wishlisted books. Some went from just under $10 to over $20 (hardcover pricing). Others are somewhere in between, but what gets me mad is that most of these books also are released in mass market paperback priced at around $8/9. Why should I go and pay more than I would for a mass market paperback on a eBook? It's not like they're giving me some extras I wouldn't find in a printed bound book.

Unlike Maggie, the two main attractions for my switch to digital was: 1) lower pricing (or was the decline to lower pricing) and 2) digital storage vs. physical storage. I don't see how they'll take away the second, but if most publishers start adopting the new model, then we can pretty much say goodbye to digital books being adopted instead of paper.

Think of how interest in hybrids were initially before any final pricing was announced. There were a lot of people willing to buy into those types cars if the pricing was reasonable. They we found out, you'd be paying $30,000+ for one. Interest mostly disappearing overnight except for a few diehard enough to become early adopters. Now with pricing (and availability) floating down to more reasonable prices, people are slowly starting to adopt the new vehicles. Unfortunately, they are still typically more expensive, but don't offer a significant enough boost in fuel economy compared to the more efficient gas engines out now (not to mention you still pay for gas).
Dear Acreo Aeneas:

The Agency Model is a mess. The problem is most eBook Stores buy from Wholesalers who offer the books. NOW, even the wholesalers do not know the pricing. So, the eBooks are largely not available until the rebelious publishers and the wholesalers can work things out.

In the interim, remember, there are still a lot of eBooks by non-Agency publishers and those are fine. They are routinely a better value anyway and you may find that you love their pricing. Some are Bestsellers.

Astak is also working with independent authors and publishers. One author who writes wonderful Science Fiction novels is Steven Lake. Richard is going to offer Book 1 of the first novels in the Earthfleet Saga on our eBook Store (www.MyEZread.com) for FREE. And we will also let it go for FREE. We are trying now to ensure that they read fine and we can get them up soon.

There are ways to beat the Agency Model and this is one way. Authors like Steven Lake write great novels and WANT to stimulate business. Supporting them is a great way to get thru this... particularly when his first novel of the series is free.

More soon on this!

Last edited by Robertb; 04-12-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #56
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Dear Acreo Aeneas:

The Agency Model is a mess. The problem is most eBook Stores buy from Wholesalers who offer the books. NOW, even the wholesalers do not know the pricing. So, the eBooks are largely not available until the rebelious publishers and the wholesalers can work things out.

In the interim, remember, there are still a lot of eBooks by non-Agency publishers and those are fine. They are routinely a better value anyway and you may find that you love their pricing. Some are Bestsellers.

Astak is also working with independent authors and publishers. One author who writes wonderful Science Fiction novels is Steven Lake. Richard is going to offer Book 1 of the first novels in the Earthfleet Saga on our eBook Store (www.MyEZread.com) for FREE. And we will also let it go for FREE. We are trying now to ensure that they read fine and we can get them up soon.

There are ways to beat the Agency Model and this is one way. Authors like Steven Lake write great novels and WANT to stimulate business. Supporting them is a great way to get thru this... particularly when his first novel of the series is free.

More soon on this!
Yes I know quite a few books do not follow in the wake of the Agency model, but a few of my new wishlisted books are from one of the 5 publishers.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #57
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
RobertB,

Are you going to distinguish between the DRM books and the non-DRM books on your site? Unless I can tell, I'll have to hold off purchasing, because I don't have ADE on my system and am strongly resisting getting it.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #58
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The Google books are not DRM'd. (They're also auto-OCR'd with no corrections, and pretty much unreadable as ePubs. I think the bookstores that are offering Googlebooks are making a big mistake: they're teaching people that ebooks can be badly-formatted & full of errors. A lot of people will try out the free books first, and if those are garbage, they won't want to risk paying for books.)

My main computer currently lacks any DRM software, and while I think I'm likely to eventually change that (I may want DRM'd freebies at some point), for the time being, it works to cut down my potential reading list to something manageable. If Baen, Samhain and Smashwords stop putting out books I'm interested in faster than I can afford to get them, I may consider buying DRM'd books--but I don't expect that to happen.

There is more good, non-DRM'd material available, for purchase or for free, than I can keep up with; I have no reason to bother with DRM software.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #59
jusmee
Wizard

I think the reason I, personally, need to be able to read DRM books, is for those occasions when you hear about, or someone recommends, a new mainstream book.

However, price will entice me to purchase as well. Just the other day, I purchased a DRM'd book from Robert's site, because I knew and liked the author's work, and it was cheap compared to what I pay for the paper copy. When you're talking about the price of a few beers (or about one beer at some clubs ) then that's almost as good as free !!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #60
Robertb

Yes, the eBook Intern is working on that

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
RobertB,

Are you going to distinguish between the DRM books and the non-DRM books on your site? Unless I can tell, I'll have to hold off purchasing, because I don't have ADE on my system and am strongly resisting getting it.

AJ
Dear AJ:

That IS one of my 14 suggestions (all gathered from comments made on this forum). Yes, we DO want to mark which eBooks have DRM and which do not. This is not simple. The publishers and the wholesaler do NOT give us this info... meaning she has to go through each of 200,000 eBooks.