Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #46
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Thank you for the info about "my clippings". I haven't ordered yet because the gift certificate promotion has to be mailed to the same address, and I'm not sure when I will head back to Alabama. Still no power where I live, I think.
I have a suspicion that if you called Amazon customer service and explained your situation, they would make an exception for you.

ApK
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #47
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Can the 3G network connection be used with mplayer to play internet radio streams? I may need to replace my WiFi kindle and if this works I would consider an upgrade to the 3G instead of getting another WiFi unit. If you have a 3G unit with mplayer installed and are willing to test this I can provide a copy of the modified control.sh and mplayer.ini that I use to accomplish this.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #48
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Can the 3G network connection be used with mplayer to play internet radio streams? I may need to replace my WiFi kindle and if this works I would consider an upgrade to the 3G instead of getting another WiFi unit. If you have a 3G unit with mplayer installed and are willing to test this I can provide a copy of the modified control.sh and mplayer.ini that I use to accomplish this.

Dave
Well even if it was possible i would advise to not doing it because of high 3G fees on Amazon side. Who knows they might charge you for some of it too.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #49
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
Well even if it was possible i would advise to not doing it because of high 3G fees on Amazon side. Who knows they might charge you for some of it too.
That sounds odd to me, as all of these streams are passed using http protocol. Thus they should appear as browser use to the carrier. As an example, the URI for one of the streams is:

http://provisioning.streamtheworld.c.../WABCAMAAC.pls

This returns a playlist file of URIs to be used for the streaming audio. A sample of these would be:

[playlist]
File1=http://6703.live.streamtheworld.com:80/WABCAMAAC_SC
File2=http://6703.live.streamtheworld.com:3690/WABCAMAAC_SC
File3=http://6703.live.streamtheworld.com:443/WABCAMAAC_SC
File4=http://5283.live.streamtheworld.com:80/WABCAMAAC_SC
File5=http://5283.live.streamtheworld.com:3690/WABCAMAAC_SC
File6=http://5283.live.streamtheworld.com:443/WABCAMAAC_SC

So whatever stream is to be played is an http URI and in this case is a relatively low bandwidth audio stream.

Dave
Old 12-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #50
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
assuming you are listening a 64 kbps stream, it makes a total of 28.125 mb per hour. I've read amazon pays about £0.20 to vodafone in England, as i am living in europe too i assume prices would be about the same which makes £5.625 or about $8.71. I guess it is a bit high price amazon is willing to pay for long term. Especially if you plan to listen about 2-3 hours everyday.

Last edited by reprep; 12-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #51
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
assuming you are listening a 64 kbps stream, it makes a total of 28.125 mb for hour. I've read amazon pays about £0.20 to vodafone in England, as i am living in europe too i assume prices would be about the same which makes £5.625 or about $8.71. I guess it is a bit high price amazon is willing to pay for long term. Especially if you plan to listen about 2-3 hours everyday.
I see your point, although I am unsure of the figures here in the US. I also understand that the 3G is only used when WiFi is not available, so I doubt my usage of 3G would come anywhere near that figure.

It would be interesting to tabulate some statistics for web browser usage to see how it would compare to this. The last time I did so was to make use of Google maps to search out a route that I had expected to be clear which I found not as well marked as I expected on the highway. Of course I did this in a WiFi hotspot, but I imagine the map images being downloaded for displayed must have accounted for several MB in that 5-10 minute session.

Dave
Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #52
fabian5003
fabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipsefabian5003 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G + Wi-Fi
I was actually reading the TOS for Kindle 3 and it specifies that 3G must only be used for the Kindle Store, if you want to use the browser, it must be with a Wi-Fi connection. Sounds logic. I check my mail and Twitter once in a while, though. And every book I've ever "purchased" in Amazon was a freebie.
fabian5003 is offline   Reply With Quote