Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #46
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post

and I'm ready to patch now but can't get to the patches.
Here are the instructions and the download links:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323419
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #47
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
thank you! I don't know how to do any of this and, yes, I am like you. would it hurt to delete the Kobo file Analytics.conf?
I wouldn't bother because it'll probably get regenerated if it doesn't exist (maybe blanking the file and then setting it to read-only could work and keep it from growing, but I've never tried and am not sure if FAT32 permissions are a thing in Linux or even respected; if anyone out there tries it (or outright deleting the file), let me know if that works or not.).

When you get around to playing with patches, open up the kobopatch.yaml file and read up on the ADDITIONAL FILES section at the bottom; that's how you would get kobopatch to include a custom hosts file and other things you may want to add into the KoboRoot.tgz package it generates (for example, you could extract and add the files of any mods you'd like to add (for example, miniclock or kfmon), to save time from flashing multiple KoboRoot.tgz files every time there's a firmware update. It's tedious to write in all those lines, but you only have to do it once).

Last edited by rtiangha; 12-11-2019 at 06:04 PM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #48
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Here are the instructions and the download links:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=323419
thank you! big hug!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #49
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
I wouldn't bother because it'll probably get regenerated if it doesn't exist (maybe blanking the file and then setting it to read-only could work and keep it from growing, but I've never tried and am not sure if FAT32 permissions are a thing in Linux or even respected; if anyone out there tries it (or outright deleting the file), let me know if that works or not.).

When you get around to playing with patches, open up the kobopatch.yaml file and read up on the ADDITIONAL FILES section at the bottom; that's how you would get kobopatch to include a custom hosts file and other things you may want to add into the KoboRoot.tgz package it generates (for example, you could extract and add the files of any mods you'd like to add (for example, miniclock or kfmon), to save time from flashing multiple KoboRoot.tgz files every time there's a firmware update. It's tedious to write in all those lines, but you only have to do it once).
wow. thanks so much. I'm already tired today so I think I'll try some of this tomorrow. maybe the patches are updated to the most recent firmware by then too. busy day today.

loving my Clara. the screen/lighting is as good or better as the Oasis for less than half the money. blown away.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-11-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #50
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
wow. thanks so much. I'm already tired today so I think I'll try some of this tomorrow. maybe the patches are updated to the most recent firmware by then too. busy day today.

loving my Clara. the screen is as good as the Oasis for less than half the money. blown away.
I like these devices. If I were ever to upgrade my Glo HD to something newer, I'd probably try to install something like okreader or OcherBook on it for fun (although they desperately need some help to be updated to run on newer devices). But I actually like how nickel renders kepubs and I like the reading stats so I don't mind the Kobo software. I just wish the dictionary support were on par with the Kindle.
Advert
Old 12-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #51
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
I like these devices. If I were ever to upgrade my Glo HD to something newer, I'd probably try to install something like okreader or OcherBook on it for fun (although they desperately need some help to be updated to run on newer devices). But I actually like how nickel renders kepubs and I like the reading stats so I don't mind the Kobo software. I just wish the dictionary support were on par with the Kindle.
thanks for the links. I can see myself buying Kobos in the future. I looked for a Kepubs option on Calibre but didn't find a way to convert to them. probably just tired and need to try tomorrow.

yes, the dictionary support on Kindle is wonderful. I have a one-way FR I need to get onto my Clara. I use it a lot for a certain series and will miss it if it isn't available to me. did some reading and it's just a naming thing I think, if I can convert it. it's currently in mobi so I'm not sure how that works.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks for the links. I can see myself buying Kobos in the future. I looked for a Kepubs option on Calibre but didn't find a way to convert to them. probably just tired and need to try tomorrow.
The best way is to install the KoboTouch Extended Driver, which converts your epubs to kepub on the fly when you send them to the device. So you won't have kepubs taking up space on your PC. If you don't want to use kepubs, you can easily switch back to the ordinary driver and disable kepub in the options.

It's best to install the Kobo Utilities plugin too.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #53
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
The best way is to install the KoboTouch Extended Driver, which converts your epubs to kepub on the fly when you send them to the device. So you won't have kepubs taking up space on your PC. If you don't want to use kepubs, you can easily switch back to the ordinary driver and disable kepub in the options.

Yep. There's also a KEPUB Output Calibre plugin that can convert things, but it's a bit more destructive than the Kobo Extended Driver plugin. There's also kepubify from geek1011 that you can use if you're not using Calibre to do the transfer. So lots of options
Old 12-11-2019, 06:55 PM   #54
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
yes, the dictionary support on Kindle is wonderful. I have a one-way FR I need to get onto my Clara. I use it a lot for a certain series and will miss it if it isn't available to me. did some reading and it's just a naming thing I think, if I can convert it. it's currently in mobi so I'm not sure how that works.

Converting from mobi to Kobo format is a bit of a pain and (from what I can find), there is no automated solution yet. You're better off trying to see if there already exists a version of that dictionary in an input format that either penelope or pyglossary can ingest as that will make life A LOT easier.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #55
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Converting from mobi to Kobo format is a bit of a pain and (from what I can find), there is no automated solution yet. You're better off trying to see if there already exists a version of that dictionary in an input format that either penelope or pyglossary can ingest as that will make life A LOT easier.
oh... that is bad news. really bad. hope I can do that. thanks again.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #56
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:

thank you. need to hunt down that second plugin. assuming we're still talking Calibre here?

I may just let the kepubs go. I like the epub experience so far.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
thank you. need to hunt down that second plugin. assuming we're still talking Calibre here?
Yes, they're both Calibre plugins.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #58
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Yep. There's also a KEPUB Output Calibre plugin that can convert things, but it's a bit more destructive than the Kobo Extended Driver plugin. There's also kepubify from geek1011 that you can use if you're not using Calibre to do the transfer. So lots of options
thank you.

was worried about starting this thread, but so glad I did. you have all offered a treasure trove of information today that will prove invaluable as I walk the Kobo path.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #59
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

delete

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-11-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:39 AM   #60
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

I love this Clara so much! it's just perfect for me in most ways without patching and with a couple of patches it will be an amazing ereader. Kobo did a great job.

Last edited by pghaworth; 12-12-2019 at 05:42 AM.