Notices

Old 06-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #46
scruffs
Connoisseur
scruffs doesn't litterscruffs doesn't litter

Device: ePUB Kindle and iBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Allowing a publisher to override user settings opens the door for every book to do so.

Do not embedded fonts do that?
scruffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #47
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffs View Post
Sans is actually easier to read on a device, particularly for users with certain visual or cognitive conditions.
And they will have selected the font that works best for them and won't have to contend with your doppelganger that wants to impose a serif font on them.

My original reader, a Kindle 2 (167dpi) has no user choice for font except size and uses a serif font for body text. I never gave that any thought. My next reader, a Pocketbook 360 (200dpi) allows user choice of fonts. I experimented and selected a sans serif font which was also the out of box default.

The K4 added an option to select a condensed or a sans serif font or the standard from earlier Kindles. Based on my experience with the PB360 and the reading about fonts I had done, I expected that I would go with sans serif, but ended up choosing condensed.

Over time amazon added 300 dpi displays and more font choices, including the much hyped Bookerly. I tried them and stuck with Caecilia Condensed.

After spending time and effort configuring a device for font face, font size, side margin, and line spacing, I would be very annoyed to find a book overriding any of those.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #48
scruffs
Connoisseur

Thanks, JPS. You make some really good points there.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #49
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
After 40+ posts, if someone knew how to tell you to accomplish what you're after, I'd think it would have been posted by know.
That's not necessarily true, since it is not in the Kindle Formats sub-forum. Of course, overriding settings is frowned on even more strongly there.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #50
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If the user has set use publisher as the default permission has been given, if some specific font has been selected then that font should be used.
Quote:
Do not embedded fonts do that?
I do not know. That is a question for the Kindle Formats forum.
Advert
Old 06-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #51
scruffs
Connoisseur

Yes, I'm new here and didn't spot that forum before I posted!
Thanks for your time and effort. Cin cin.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #52
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How do you select a default font? Just curious.
I meant that whatever font you have chosen most recently is the default when you switch books.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #53
scruffs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I meant that whatever font you have chosen most recently is the default when you switch books.
Is that the case no matter what the next book has set in CSS?

thx
Old 06-29-2020, 01:39 PM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #55
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If the book in question is best read with a sans-serif font, perhaps a note in the front matter explaining that would be a good idea.
That brings up another interesting feature of the Kindle platform. By default most books open for the first time at the first chapter, skipping over any front matter. It is up to the reader to go back if they have a desire to see it. Most readers will not even aware that there was any front matter.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #56
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is that the case no matter what the next book has set in CSS?
Yes, that is the case as far as I know. The publisher's choice for the book's body font is only a factor if the reader has specifically chosen "Publisher Font" as their font selection.

Most readers pick the font they like best early on in their use of the device and are not even aware that some books have a publisher font choice available.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #57
scruffs
Connoisseur

Thank you so much for that.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:13 PM   #58
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
That brings up another interesting feature of the Kindle platform. By default most books open for the first time at the first chapter, skipping over any front matter. It is up to the reader to go back if they have a desire to see it. Most readers will not even aware that there was any front matter.
Who controls where a book opens? The publisher/author or whoever codes the book, correct?

I skip front matter in lite fiction. I don't skip it in non-fiction.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #59
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Who controls where a book opens? The publisher/author or whoever codes the book, correct?
It depends on how the book is published. My understanding is that for self-published books Amazon sets the point at which the book opens, overriding whatever the publisher has set.

Like the font issue, it is a matter of consistency for readers being more important than publisher choice.

Last edited by jhowell; 06-29-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:28 AM   #60
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Some people confuse Prologue with Preface. A prologue is really chapter 0. I advise people to just call Chapter 1 (if they number chapters) and maybe put "prologue", or "what happened earlier" as a preamble title.
Prefaces added to deceased authors work, or "classic" works seem very skipable and often want to be read at the end, if at all, sometimes being full of snobbish literary criticism and/or spoilers. The actual original edition author's preface are usually not bad, but not usually important.
The Prologue is important, so is the Epilogue. However maybe today on new titles the authors/publishers need to drop those names?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle font