Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #46
Penru
Imagineer
Penru began at the beginning.

Device: HTC DROID ERIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
According to the manual, the PE does NOT charge from EITHER USB port. You have to charge it through the power port.
I never said it charged through the USB port, I simply pointed out a cable that will plug the power port on the PE to a usb port to charge it.
Penru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #47
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
The green LED does light immediately after a working adapter is plugged in. There is no way to charge an eDGe apart from providing 12 volts to the power port, hopefully with at least the current capacity of the original supply (1amp).

A volt meter should be used to determine if the power supply is working. That won't confirm the current the unit can supply, but it is rare for a supply to provide the rated voltage but fail to provide the rated current due to an internal failure.

While it is NOT possible to charge an edge using a cable that connects to a PC USB port, it is possible to charge something like a phone FROM the eDGe using the USB port, if it can be done from a PC USB port. So if you're traveling and forget your phone power supply, the phone can be charged while the eDGe is charging, but it will ONLY supply power TO the USB port while it's on (not hibernated, but fully on with the display running).
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #48
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
OK, thanks. My friend is going to try to get the adapter checked out, or else we are going to meet up and see if my adapter works on her unit.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #49
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Penru, I'm sorry to say but there is no way that USB cable is going to work with either a PE or an EE.

USB ports supply 5V only the PE and EE require 12V therefore no work. Now if you wanted to use it from the PE to charge your phone then OK but as Last said only when the USB port is active.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #50
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur
Erminio Mostacci began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe, iRex DR 1000, Cybook Gen3
I recommend this keyboard that works well with a apk files made ​​available in another thread
LINKS:
http://cgi.ebay.it/Mini-Wireless-Blu...item43a7c6348f
Erminio Mostacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #51
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur
Erminio Mostacci began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe, iRex DR 1000, Cybook Gen3
Application for using a Bluetooth keyboard is:
Bluetooth Keyboard Easyconnect

Link thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139735

Link for downloading by CheyenneDonna
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/234341/Bluet...uetooth%20.apk

I hope that this information can be useful

Erminio
Erminio Mostacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #52
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thanks for the keyboard info, Erminio!

Question about chargers: Is there any reason I should not use the charger for my EE with my PE or vice versa?
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #53
Dumas
Connoisseur
Dumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enoughDumas will become famous soon enough

Device: Nokia N810, enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post

Question about chargers: Is there any reason I should not use the charger for my EE with my PE or vice versa?
My recollection from the enTourage forums was that both adapters worked fine with both devices.

You could search the archive, but I'm pretty sure the replacement AC adapter that enTourage sold through their online store was the same for both EE and PE. Users expressed a preference for the adapter that shipped with the PE because there was operationally no difference and it was much smaller and lighter.
Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #54
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Filark,

The only difference I can remember from the old forum is the current supplied by the charger - 2.5A for the EE and I think less for the PE. Each device will only take what it needs but if you try to charge the EE with the PE charger only problem is it might take a little longer to do so - the other way round there is no problem.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #55
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Both adapters were spec'd. over what was needed to extend their life. I know the PE doesn't draw anywhere near an amp at any time. If the EE did, it would kill the power supply because where current is concerned the supply doesn't "go to here and stop" -- it goes until it DIES.

Depending on what DIES, the supply could expose the unit to wall voltage, but only momentarily until something in the unit SMOKES.

If someone here has charged AND RUN an EE with the smaller PE supply, we'll know the EE doesn't draw more than an amp of current. Even then, I wouldn't try powering something on the USB host connector on an EE using the PE supply! If no one has bravely or inadvertently done it, I'd recommend labeling the adapter cable, close to the END on ONE of them, so you don't accidentally offer up your device as an electronic lab rat.

The best way to label the cable is to acquire a short piece of shrink tubing, write PE on it, slip it over the 3.5mm plug and heat it over the stove until it is securely in place. If your eDGe devices are a different color, labeling the tip that ISN'T black with the unit's color would work.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #56
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
There's always the colored duct tape label method!
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #57
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post

Theoretically there should be no reason why you can't use the EE charger on the PE because if you look at the Tip & Ring diagram both show a + Tip and a - Ring. Both chargers supply + 12 VDC. However, I would not use the PE charger to try and charge the EE for two reasons. The charger is only capable of supplying 0.3 Amps which means one of two things: The EE will take forever to charge, or if you turn it on while plugged in it could draw more current than the PE charger is capable of supplying (3/10ths of an Amp) and you risk damaging the charger.

Last edited by obsessed2; 06-22-2011 at 03:19 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #58
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
Both adapters were spec'd. over what was needed to extend their life. I know the PE doesn't draw anywhere near an amp at any time. If the EE did, it would kill the power supply because where current is concerned the supply doesn't "go to here and stop" -- it goes until it DIES.
Are you saying the PE power supply is so cheap and nasty that it doesn't have current limiting on the output. My experience is that to have the CE mark they must be such that the output is limited to a fixed percentage (depends on device) over rated output - also they must fail safe under all conditions.

At some stage I'll hook my EE to one of our precision lab supplies and find out what current it does draw.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #59
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thanks, you guys!

I think, just to be safe, I'll keep them separate. The cords feel different, so even though I'm keeping them in the same place I won't likely get them confused.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 AM   #60
Penru
Imagineer
Penru began at the beginning.

Device: HTC DROID ERIS
I just found a hidden SD mini port on the PE! If someone has a SD mini card or adapter could you please check the port to see if it is active? To find the hidden port simply remove the rubber cover for the SD micro port, on the other side is a SD mini port. If this works I wonder what the new storage limit of the PE will be... Can not wait for an answer!
Penru is offline   Reply With Quote