Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Could the Kindle spark book piracy?
Yes, book piracy will get a boost thanks to successful Kindle sales 26 20.16%
On the contrary, since it's now even easier and cheaper to purchase e-books 46 35.66%
No, there won't be any change. 57 44.19%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #46
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As more people have ebook readers, more will look for free sources. The rise of piracy will be a direct result.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #47
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Steve, I don't think that anyone is saying that electronic versions have no value. In my case, it is more a sense of feeling that if I own a paper copy of a book, I have in effect already purchased the content. Do you, as an author, feel it is wrong for someone to download electronic versions of books they already own?

How about taking those books and scanning them into ebook format? Is that wrong?
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #48
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to add an option that says something like "E-book piracy is already a thriving activity"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wouldn't that fall under the third, "no change" option?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #50
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I guess, but it's more dramatic this way
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 PM   #51
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Maybe its this discussion that will spark book piracy... until I saw this forum the thought had not occurred to me. Now I'm wondering... is there a booktorrents.com or other bizarre operation taking place that I'm not aware of? (tongue in cheek)
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #52
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I guess, but it's more dramatic this way
Point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
... is there a booktorrents.com or other bizarre operation taking place that I'm not aware of? (tongue in cheek)
Of course there is! You could spend your life cataloging the cussed things and still not know about all of them
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:36 AM   #53
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflashman View Post
Maybe its this discussion that will spark book piracy... until I saw this forum the thought had not occurred to me.
I believe there is no security through obscurity. Hiding from a fact does not make it any safer. And I also believe in constructive discussions, no matter how controversial the topic.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:57 AM   #54
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hope that the publishing industry will study history and learn from the mistakes of the music industry. We don't need a second RIAA.

And what's so different with the Kindle? People have been pirating e-books for as long as I can remember, and yet I haven't heard a single word about the imminent death of the book industry. Stop crying.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #55
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I believe the level of the darknet ebook traffic is going to increase.

There are two reasons.

1. Because Kindle is so famous and more people are learning about ebook readers and buy them, there will be more people who realise that they cannot read what they do want to read - on the very expensive ebook reader they bought (as I mentioned before, there are so many books that you cannot buy in ebook format such as Glean Cook - Black Company, Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time, Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen and many more). After paying a lot of money for the reader and being hooked to it and realising just too later about it, people will turn to the darknet.

Mind you, the reason is not - money. They would love to pay money for the books they would like to read but they will not be able to.

2. The more people buy ebook readers, the faster will grow a number of people who, until today, are blissfully unaware of all the problems that DRM introduce. When they switch reading devices in 1-2 year time or any other situation when they are going to encounter DRM related problems and realise they cannot read books they bought 1-2 years ago for their well-earned money....they are going to get a little bit upset...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:05 AM   #56
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

I take exception to my religion being bashed like this! Pirates are supreme beings and have no time for footling around with dinky electronic gizmos. They spend their time in search of wenches, grog, booty and shenanigans. Also being Filthy is a virtue and should not be abused in such a perjorative underhanded manner.

RAmen.
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #57
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
If you'd ordered a book that turned out to be an ugly hardback, you wouldn't consider it okay to walk into the bookstore or library and just take a paperback copy for free. (And neither would the store or library. Ask them.) To balance out the cost, you'd return one and use the refund to buy the other. They are two distinct properties, and both have to be paid for (or returned, in the library's case).

I still hear an issue of believing that electronic versions of documents are essentially worth nothing, and therefore okay to just take at will.......
There are some problems with this logic. First, both hardback and paperback books are tangible physical objects, that have definite costs because of the raw materials needed to make them. No raw materials, aside from the text itself, are needed to make an ebook.

The biggest problem with this argument is the inevitable comparison with the Ipod. If I own a music cd, should I have to pay more money to listen to it on my Ipod? Neither Apple (by providing the functionality to rip cd's) nor many others would argue the opposite. The consensus seems to be that if a person purchases a music cd, he should be able to listen to its contents on an Ipod.

Now consider e-books. What some are saying is the exact opposite- well, you bought a hardbound book, and now you have to pay another $15 or so to read that on an electronic reading device. Shell out cash for something that cost essentially ZERO to produce. That just doesn't seem right..............And as far as I know, not a single publisher is offering people the option to return a paper book for an ebook.

I bought a copy of Singh's "Mac OS X Internals" several months ago. Overpriced, of course- I paid around $70 for it (list is $80 I think). If I want to access it at work, I have to carry it in with me- and it's a heavy object to lug. Would be nice to have an e-book version....Guess what!! There IS an e-book version, pdf. And I ONLY have to pay $49.95 to be a good boy and RE-PURCHASE it. Or should I grab, for free, a .chm version that has been posted on the net? Ethically, why should I be required to RE-PURCHASE this content? Spend $49.95 on something that cost about ZERO to produce?
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #58
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Format shifting is legal in the US with regards to music, and by extension, probably books as well. But it's not legal in some countries, including the UK, apparently.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #59
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovanh View Post
I take exception to my religion being bashed like this! Pirates are supreme beings and have no time for footling around with dinky electronic gizmos. They spend their time in search of wenches, grog, booty and shenanigans. Also being Filthy is a virtue and should not be abused in such a perjorative underhanded manner.

RAmen.
A witch! Let's burn him!!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
I bought a copy of Singh's "Mac OS X Internals" several months ago. Overpriced, of course- I paid around $70 for it (list is $80 I think). If I want to access it at work, I have to carry it in with me- and it's a heavy object to lug. Would be nice to have an e-book version....Guess what!! There IS an e-book version, pdf. And I ONLY have to pay $49.95 to be a good boy and RE-PURCHASE it. Or should I grab, for free, a .chm version that has been posted on the net? Ethically, why should I be required to RE-PURCHASE this content? Spend $49.95 on something that cost about ZERO to produce?
Why didn't you just buy the eBook version in the first place? You would have saved $20, and had something that was more convenient to carry around.

I'm a little unclear about why you say that you are being "required" to repurchase it; nobody is going to force you to do so. All you have to do is make the decision as to whether having the eBook is worth $49 to you. If it is, buy it, if it isn't, don't. Is is "ethical" to take the eBook without paying for it? Personally I'd say not. Is it legal? Absolutely not!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote