Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #46
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In the UK, as in the rest of the EU, eBooks are charged the "standard" rate of VAT, in accordance with the EU's eCommerce VAT directive. This is the law throughout the EU.

Paper books, on the other hand, are "zero rated" for VAT (not exempt from it, but charged at 0%. There is a difference, apparently).
Crazy politicians. In Norway the big publishers are holding back the e-book development because of the difference in VAT between the e-book and paper book. A fellow joint venture book portal with Norwegian authors were supposed to launch in march but has been put on hold because of the VAT rules. The question has been up for political discussion several times but the current finance minister of Norway isn't willing to treat e-books equal to paper books. As things stand at the moment it doesn't look good.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #47
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
But of course the cartel price fixing for books applies to ebooks as well, at least in Germany... talk about cherry picking.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #48
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I was running a freelance press agency on Merseyside when VAT came in, Harry. I think it was around 1972. .....
I was interested in your remarks and reminiscences, Neil.

I was working for a software company at that time. The introduction of VAT gave us a huge amount of business - even more than decimalisation which came in a couple of years earlier. The tax actually started in 1973, if I remember right.

Contrary to what most people think (including your friend Charlie Chaplin), the principles of VAT are extremely simple. It was the paperwork that was complicated. But, to be fair, it has been greatly simplified over the years. The quarterly return was originally four pages, but it's now been reduced to one page, and many businesses don't even have to do it every quarter. There are also several simpler reporting systems for small businesses.

What gave VAT its reputation for complexity is, I think, the list of anomalies and exceptions and special cases. The classic example was the Jaffa Cake. Is it an item of food (and therefore zero-rated) or confectionery (which is positive-rated)?

You can see how that's persisted with books. Printed books are zero-rated, but electronic books aren't.

These days, I do the VAT for my own small businesses. It takes at most five minutes once per quarter. It's really very easy.

Last edited by Mike L; 06-05-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #49
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Only the 'free' ones seem to not have the $2 whispernet fee.
This is the explanation I am beginning to accept as well. It is a start -- I'll grant that.

I'd still prefer the Whispernet surcharge, if necessary, was both a LOT less and vaguely reflective of file size or base price of the ebook.

I'd be "happy" to buy a copy of Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd -- now 84 years since original publication -- at a lower-end paperback price. And here's where the surcharge bites Amazon on the virtual "backend": Amazon will sell it to me for $6.79; Kobo will sell it to me for $4.99 ($5.24 inc. tax). A title like this ... yah, $5 is acceptable. But please don't add ANOTHER $2 in delivery surcharges.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #50
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Hah.

Bittorrent - where you only pay by the byte!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert