Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-04-2022, 07:00 AM   #46
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassme View Post
I ran "edl.exe /lq662.elf /r /pboot_b boot.img /t /v"
Don't.

There are two phases going on here, using two different protocols. When you try to do them in one command there is not in fact any functional problem, merely a problem of you understanding what and where any problems might be.
Code:
edl.exe /lq662.elf
First, make sure you have the latest edl.exe, it's 132,608 bytes. Some more specific error messages have been added. Previous versions did not have any functional problems.

The first protocol "Sahara" is very brittle. It can easily mistake "whose turn it is to talk" and it tolerates no interruption. So, in the first phase if anything doesn't work for any reason you must do a reset and get a fresh EDL.

The information part of the first phase should run without problem spitting out some lines. The next part is the loading of the loader. That can barf for four separate reasons:
  • The offered file is not a correct ELF file
  • The offered file is the wrong 32 bit/64 bit
  • The offered file is missing the signing section
  • The offered file has the wrong signing
Those are the only reasons that the device itself stops loading before 100%.

There could also be a problem with bad USB cables or flakey hubs. If the desktop machine crashes, there is clearly a problem there because it should not happen under any circumstances.

After the loader loads it should be using the second protocol "Firehose". Sometimes the switchover can be problematic. Firehose is more robust than Sahara so if something bad happens you can usually just retry your command. Normally, edl.exe should say "Firehose detected". Even if it doesn't, it is worth trying the next command to see if you can kick some sense into it.

Next you should do a sanity check and list the partitions:
Code:
edl.exe /g
The same processor (SDMxxx) might be using eMMC or UFS memory hardware, so you need to see which it is. UFS memory uses the /u flag for every Firehose command.
Code:
edl.exe /u /g
One of these will work, either with or without /u. It should print out the partitions. If you are using UFS it might spit out a panicky error when listing partitions ("OMG, I can't load UFS unit #6!"). This is not a problem. You can then look at the listing and see which A/B slot is being used by looking for "inactive". If you don't see, don't have A/B slots it's simpler.

So now get your boot image or whatever it was that you wanted.
Code:
edl.exe /r /pboot_a boot.img /t
Of course, this could be boot, boot_a or boot_b and you will need /u if you used it before. The /t makes it copy the minimal amount for a full Android image and not the whole (useless) partitition. If you were trying to copy a data partition or something else it would tell you not to use /t.

And don't use the /v flag unless there is a specific problem that you're working with me to correct and you can quote verbatim what it prints out.

So, the only question remaining is whether you have the right loader in the first part. If there is an issue you should quote the HWID and Hash (but not the serial number) that it spit out at the beginning and the size and MD5 (if you can) of the loader.

(All of the above information generally applies to the Python EDL utility also.)
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:14 AM   #47
bassme
bassme began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Air C
Thanks for the reply Renate! The detail was great. And so fast, I feel bad I couldn't back at this sooner. I had a little time to work on this some more, with no headway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Don't
Yeah.... I realized during later commands, and looking back at the previous posts, that was unwise. And with your further explanation here it makes even more sense.

Quote:
First, make sure you have the latest edl.exe, it's 132,608 bytes.
The edl.exe I have is 132,608 bytes.

Quote:
So, in the first phase if anything doesn't work for any reason you must do a reset and get a fresh EDL.
I assume reset here is holding the power button down until the Air C reboots back into normal commands, then run
Code:
adb reboot edl
I'm fairly certain I was doing that the first time (I read another of your posts saying that), but definitely did when I was working on things this time. If I didn't get the response you indicated I would reset.

Quote:
There could also be a problem with bad USB cables or flakey hubs. If the desktop machine crashes, there is clearly a problem there because it should not happen under any circumstances.
The reboot I mentioned was an update reboot. I had forgotten I had turned the option to reboot right after an update back on for a specific purpose, I turned that option back off right after that. I tried several different USB cables, all with the same result. I'm plugging these straight into my laptop, so no external hub. I used every port, both USB A and USB C.

Quote:
Next you should do a sanity check and list the partitions:
Code:
edl.exe /g
I tried this and got

Quote:
Found EDL 9008
Configuring...
Could not write device
I then reset, and tried
Code:
edl.exe /u /g
with the same result.

Next, thinking maybe before I try listing the partitions that I should do the loader command first I reset then tried
Code:
edl.exe /lq662.elf
and got
Quote:
Found EDL 9008
Could not read device
Quote:
So, the only question remaining is whether you have the right loader in the first part. If there is an issue you should quote the HWID and Hash (but not the serial number) that it spit out at the beginning and the size and MD5 (if you can) of the loader.
I assume since I'm not getting any response from edl.exe that I can't list the HWID and Hash, if I'm wrong and I'm just showing my ignorance here please tell me how to get that. The MD5 of what was renamed q662.elf matches the OP.

I'll keep trying things later when I get off work.
bassme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #48
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Loading the loader always comes first. If you don't get the HWID/Hash you're not going anywhere.

What is your driver? Is it Zadig? I hope that you're not using "Qualcomm drivers".
Old 05-06-2022, 01:03 PM   #49
bassme

Using Zadig. I pick USB ID 05C6/9008. Select WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385) and click replace driver. It says installing for a while then says it's successful.
Old 05-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #50
Renate
Wizard

Okaaaay. And what happened next?
Advert
Old 05-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #51
bassme

I open the command prompt, make sure I'm in the same directory as edl.exe, and run
Code:
 edl.exe /lq662.elf
The resulting text is
Quote:
Found EDL 9008
Could not open device
Old 05-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #52
Renate
Wizard

That's very strange. Are you sure that you don't have another EDL utility running or something? Did you reboot the desktop? Not opening is not a slight difference of opinion on protocol like "Could not read". Did you check in Device Manager to see that the driver description is correct?

Edit: You are running this in an Admin capacity? Mmm, it shouldn't be necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zadig.png
Views:	127
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	193654  

Last edited by Renate; 05-06-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #53
bassme

Just rebooted the desktop, though I've done that before, with no change (edit: I'm getting the exact same results).

I started down the python path for the EDL, but only got as far as downloading everything and trying (and failing spectacularly) to start it. I (believe) I deleted all the python code, but left python installed, when I found out about your much easier to use exe file. And haven't touched python since a reboot.

My driver description matches your screenshot, except the date.

I am not running any of this with admin privileges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zadig.png
Views:	121
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	193655  
Old 05-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #54
bassme

Just rebooted the desktop again, and got the exact same results.

I started trying the pyhon edl path before seeing your much easier exe one. I downloaded everything and installed python and that was about it. Then I deleted all the python code. I've rebooted a several times since then, and haven't ran python since then. So I don't think another EDL is running.

Device driver info matches yours, except the date.

I am not running anything with admin privileges.

Last edited by bassme; 05-06-2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #55
Renate
Wizard

Is this Windows 11 or 10? Did they sneak in more security or something?
Before you (re?)-installed the Zadig driver at least it was trying to read.
You didn't install any "official" Qualcomm software, did you?

Edit: Ok, here is a little test program. It's called winusb.prc, just rename it winusb.exe
Code:
C:\>winusb.exe 05c6 9008
Just tell me the results.
Attached Files
File Type: prc winusb.prc (100.0 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by Renate; 05-06-2022 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #56
bassme

Quote:
Is this Windows 11 or 10? Did they sneak in more security or something?
Before you (re?)-installed the Zadig driver at least it was trying to read.
You didn't install any "official" Qualcomm software, did you?

Edit: Ok, here is a little test program. It's called winusb.prc, just rename it winusb.exe
Code:
C:\>winusb.exe 05c6 9008
Just tell me the results.
Windows 11

I have not installed anything Qualcomm

Ran your test program got these results
Quote:
Found device at 05c6/9008
In bulk endpoint 81
Out bulk endpoint 01
Everything ok
Old 05-06-2022, 05:24 PM   #57
bassme

Windows 11

No official Qualcomm installations

Ran your test program and got the following results
Quote:
Found device at 05c6/9008
In bulk endpoint 81
Out bulk endpoint 01
Everything ok
Old 05-06-2022, 05:43 PM   #58
Renate
Wizard

And you tried edl.exe again?

Try the latest version 133,632 byes at the same link.

Last edited by Renate; 05-06-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 06:11 PM   #59
bassme

downloaded the latest with file size 133,632 bytes

Quote:
edl.exe /lq662.elf
Found EDL 9008
Could not read device
Old 05-06-2022, 06:54 PM   #60
Renate
Wizard

Ok, we're back to no read. I don't think that there is actually any difference with edl.exe. I use it a dozen times a day.

Are you always doing a fresh reset and getting a fresh EDL each time? You have to if it doesn't work. Try a bunch of times. You may have USB flakeyness. Are you trying on both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0?