Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #46
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Nate got engadgeted, nice.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #47
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I found another nice article about the PocketBook 301 (the 6 inch device) and its legendary software here (with Google translation to English)
http://translate.google.com/translat...75&sl=ru&tl=en
Physically, that just looks like a rebranded Cybook ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #48
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerement View Post
It is. But the software is better.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #49
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
No.
BOTH PocketBook and Cybook are just rebranded Netronix devices

I wonder, would a PocketBook 301 firmware work on Cybook?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What you mean is that both that and the CyBook use Netronix hardware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #51
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
A 5 inch screen could be bigger than my Kindle 2!

If they have a full screen mode, a five inch screen will actually be slightly bigger than Amazon's 6 inch. The K2 (like I have) has a header, a footer and margins all the way around. The part of the screen with text on it measures 4.75 diagonal, and there is no way to have the book actually use the entire screen.

Michael

The following image is from the wikipedia commons
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #52
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
If they have a full screen mode, a five inch screen will actually be slightly bigger than Amazon's 6 inch. The K2 (like I have) has a header, a footer and margins all the way around. The part of the screen with text on it measures 4.75 diagonal, and there is no way to have the book actually use the entire screen.
Don't use headers and big margins then?
I have very small margins on my ebooks - 10, and no header (what is a point of reminding myself 1243 times the name of the books and author's name, I am reading right?)
Only footer with a chapter number/name.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #53
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
I use 6" for reading Novels
8" for taking Note.
10" for Journal reading and present the text book on screen for students.

5" , No thanks, I can stick with IPhone.
Well, I am certainly not going to try to convince you that your choices are wrong -- for you. And I think that is the important point here, everyone is different. The problem I have is that some people here seem to be suggesting that a 5" device shouldn't be made at all. I have been using a 5" device for 4 months or so now (The Jetbook) and I find it a wonderful way to read. Also the fact that it is using an LCD screen versus eink means page turns are fast and I think (not sure mind you) the screen is more durable than the eInk screens. In any case, I can assure you, having used both, that there is a world of difference between reading on the 5" screen or the Jetbook and the 3.5" screen of the iPod.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #54
larisa0001
larisa0001 doesn't litterlarisa0001 doesn't litter

Device: PalmPilot
Ooh, I want one! For $180? I'll be getting one as soon as it comes out. I love the small screen on my Palm - I don't want to lug around a huge reader everywhere I go. And it reads Russian text too? And it's got open-source software? I think my e-reader dilemma has just been resolved.
larisa0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #55
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I wonder, would a PocketBook 301 firmware work on Cybook?
I looked in the pocketbook forum and the answer is "no" - something about different bootloaders and somesuch.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:17 AM   #56
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Remember that there are a great many people who read on a PDA-type device, typically with a 3" or 4" screen. I would buy a 5" device, if it supported the formats I want, for its portability.
Those 3' and 4" PDA are a strain in the eyes and also somewhat difficult to navigate in pages and limited format. It would be nice to read in a wider format but not too bulky to carry along.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #57
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Don't use headers and big margins then?
I have very small margins on my ebooks - 10, and no header (what is a point of reminding myself 1243 times the name of the books and author's name, I am reading right?)
Only footer with a chapter number/name.
That would certainly be my choice. For that matter, I would forgo the footer also. I would just display the progress bar across the bottom. Unfortunately, the K2 does not have that option -- there is no full screen mode.

However, my point was not about the capability of my current reader. Instead, I was directing a comment to those who thought that 5 inch was too small. I was pointing out that, with an efficient use of space -- full screen display, the 5 inch might be as big as some of the 6 inches out there today.

Michael
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #58
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
That would certainly be my choice. For that matter, I would forgo the footer also. I would just display the progress bar across the bottom. Unfortunately, the K2 does not have that option -- there is no full screen mode.

However, my point was not about the capability of my current reader. Instead, I was directing a comment to those who thought that 5 inch was too small. I was pointing out that, with an efficient use of space -- full screen display, the 5 inch might be as big as some of the 6 inches out there today.

Michael
I understood your meaning.

My comment was directed to you sort of undercover advice
When you create ebook in Book Designer or Calibre, you choose margins, so you don't have to suffer this atrocity of waste of valuable space. This way you will have almost full screen, almost 6", without hardware change.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #59
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Remember that there are a great many people who read on a PDA-type device, typically with a 3" or 4" screen. I would buy a 5" device, if it supported the formats I want, for its portability.
I remember reading 4 or 5 novels on my Palm Treo2 years ago, and never noticed--- not knowing anything else
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #60
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Wow, I really like this. I had sorta kinda promised myself that I would not buy another dedicated e-book device this year, but this was love at first sight. This is a great size for reading away from home. I use my Jetbook almost exclusively these days. I find that it fits well in my purse.
Yes, I agree about the late 60's early 70's groovy look. And for those of us that were around, those were pretty good and even classy days
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote