Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #46
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Today's book on The Racket is M.R Mathias's The Sword And The Dragon, a fantasy epic on a huge scale!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #47
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As usual on a Sunday, it's time for two books on The Racket and here they are:

The Right Path by Debra L. Martin - Sci-fi Fantasy Novella

Learning To Be Irish by Emjae Edwards - Romance

Download 'em, put your feet up and enjoy
Old 09-20-2010, 11:32 AM   #48
NickSpalding
Addict

I've knocked up an article on self-publishing on my blog

...and I thought you guys might like to have a read and maybe comment if you feel like it.

Check it out here:

http://spaldings-racket.blogspot.com...ful-world.html

Hope you're having a good day

Nick
Old 09-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #49
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The trick is to write a really good book that’s spelt and edited correctly.

This is the bit a surprising number of writers seem to forget about in their rush to condemn the gate-keepers of the industry.

Some writers also seem to forget that the people who you really have to be nice about in public (whatever your private opinions) are the readers. Insulting a reader – no matter how much they hated the 100k fantasy epic you’ve slaved over for the past six years – is dumber than a bucket of spanners. Word of mouth spreads about an author as quickly as it does about the books they write. Keep the punters happy, no matter what.
Well said, sir.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #50
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
The trick is to write a really good book that’s spelt and edited correctly.
I concur. It can be tempting to leave off things like the editor and proof-reading because it "seems" okay - but by golly you'll be sorry for that about 10 minutes after you've committed it to print or distribution.

Quote:
Some writers also seem to forget that the people who you really have to be nice about in public (whatever your private opinions) are the readers. Insulting a reader – no matter how much they hated the 100k fantasy epic you’ve slaved over for the past six years – is dumber than a bucket of spanners.
While I strongly agree with this from an outright moral and emotional perspective - I've found a lot of anecdotal evidence that seems to point towards it frequently being quite useful to stirring up even more market exposure. I've even seen a few of such things happening here and on Goodreads. I wouldn't personally go with it myself but it just can be shocking to watch.

Paul.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #51
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
I've even seen a few of such things happening here and on Goodreads.
*cough* mobileread *cough*

Quote:
While I strongly agree with this from an outright moral and emotional perspective - I've found a lot of anecdotal evidence that seems to point towards it frequently being quite useful to stirring up even more market exposure.
Yeah, being a jerk to your readers may stir up short-term sales, but I have to think you're shooting yourself in the foot in the long-run.

Last edited by queentess; 09-20-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #52
Tom Wood
oddly human
Tom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animalsTom Wood is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
While I strongly agree with this from an outright moral and emotional perspective - I've found a lot of anecdotal evidence that seems to point towards it frequently being quite useful to stirring up even more market exposure. I've even seen a few of such things happening here and on Goodreads. I wouldn't personally go with it myself but it just can be shocking to watch.
So, there's a method to the madness?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #53
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It would seem...
Old 09-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #54
fedora
Connoisseur
fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!fedora rocks like Gibraltar!

While it may be true that the folks at Amazon and Smashwords are in it for the money, for us authors and readers it is about getting the right book to the right reader. In the end, it's not about money; it's about ideas and stories; and for the writer, the mere act of writing is about self-exploration. I've read so many books over at authonomy.com that never will get a chance at being traditionally published, but they are fresh, quirky, and original stories. About a dozen I've read were brilliant. These writers are only waiting for a little encouragement from the rest of us to self-publish.

Self-publishing is the best thing to happen for writers and readers. And trees.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #55
NickSpalding
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedora View Post
While it may be true that the folks at Amazon and Smashwords are in it for the money, for us authors and readers it is about getting the right book to the right reader. In the end, it's not about money; it's about ideas and stories.
And that's the perfect attitude to have when you're coming into self publishing. Don't expect huge sales and to amass a small fortune and you'll enjoy the experience a whole lot more. I think if you want to be a paid author with a career, submitting to agencies and publishers is still the way to go about things.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #56
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Shouldn't this be in the "American and British English thread?"

"I have impregnated an article on self publishing..."

Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #57
NickSpalding
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Shouldn't this be in the "American and British English thread?"

"I have impregnated an article on self publishing..."

I changed the title a few times before leaving it as that in the end
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #58
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Neat blog post, Nick. I tried to comment, but the blogware wouldn't let me, so I emailed it to you instead. Your 'Racket' is rolling along nicely. Congratulations and good luck to all indie authors aboard. Very best. Neil
Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #59
M. R. Mathias
Banned
M. R. Mathias has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle k3, PC
Hey Nick... How goes it?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #60
NickSpalding
Addict

Neil - it did post ok at the bottom of the page in the end...

MR - I'm good thanx buddy, hope you're rockin' and rollin' too
Closed Thread