Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Facebook? (select all you like)
What is this Facebook of which you speak? 7 5.83%
No I don't use Facebook 40 33.33%
Yes I use it, but I don't really know what I'm doing either 33 27.50%
I'm on it all the time 21 17.50%
I have more than 150 Facebook friends 11 9.17%
I have more Facebook friends than I have "real" ones 10 8.33%
I understand the mysteries of Facebook Privacy Settings 13 10.83%
Is there a twelve step program for Facebook? 3 2.50%
The blue one, next to the fish 89,676 100.00%
I just want to see the results 12 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #46
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
i just play games in facebook.
Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #47
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Creating my own category: I use it, dislike the quizzes, and accept the reasons why I haven't seen high school friends in decades.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 03:00 AM   #48
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
I've got a Spam-filter that now blocks Facebook requests before they even get to my inbox.
I should do that. It kind of gives me a "pod people" like feeling to watch all my friends "fall" and realize I'm just about the only one who hasn't yet been possessed. It's lonely not having an alien inside you when everyone else does...
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #49
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
After 3 days on Facebook, I've just gotten my first "friend" request from someone I barely remember from high school.

My memories are a bit fuzzy, but I think this was someone who tried to intimidate me at least once.... I think I'd rather just not respond to this one.

Now I wonder if the grad school classmate I sent a request to on Friday feels the same way.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #50
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
My memories are a bit fuzzy, but I think this was someone who tried to intimidate me at least once.... I think I'd rather just not respond to this one.
That's how I felt about Russian version. There were classmates who bullied me at school and all of sudden I am their best friend and they miss me and would like to hear from me (I learned about it from my elder brother who is more visible on the Internet and they could contact him when looking for me)...piss off...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #51
Icarusbop
Groupie
Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.Icarusbop knows what's going on.

Device: PRS505
I do not use facebook. And am trying to convince my wife to do the same.

I have security issue with it - I cannot trust my loving government to not break in and rummage around just for the sake of collecting info on the civilians.
Icarusbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #52
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I used Facebook for about 9 months, uploaded pictures, contacted old friends and acquaintances -- but finally just got tired of it and quit. I just don't care that much -- too time-consuming, too much flotsam and jetsam.
I do however like Twitter -- I use it to follow things I'm interested in, or want more info about (for example, right now I'm following some Maine travel info sites, because I'm going there this summer.) It is very easy to start and stop following organizations, people, etc. and you don't have to be "friends" with anybody!
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:06 AM   #53
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I have one, but I don't really use it. Almost, as my mother opened an account and now is pestering me everyday, phoning asking about what is this and how to do that... So sometimes I use it so that I can teach her and give some rest to my cell phone

I guess I should be more netsocial

And the poll is compromised. 97 voters, and "The blue one, next to the fish" has almost 90000 votes The scandal!
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #54
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have a Facebook account, but I am unsearchable and I have no friends.

I signed up for it to become a "fan" of various places where I like to spend money -- so far, vacation spots and local businesses. Now I've added Mobile Reads, so I guess it is more accurately Places That Encourage Me To Aquire More Things.

Edit: Apparently I am searchable, but I've left my entire profile blank so hopefully people are discouraged from seeking me out.

Last edited by sakura-panda; 07-06-2009 at 01:52 PM.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #55
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
I do however like Twitter -- I use it to follow things I'm interested in, or want more info about (for example, right now I'm following some Maine travel info sites, because I'm going there this summer.) It is very easy to start and stop following organizations, people, etc. and you don't have to be "friends" with anybody!
Agree. I have made 0 posts on Twitter, yet I have 2 followers. Dropping a "friend" on FB can kill a real friendship. No one seems to care on Twitter.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #56
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Apparently the wife of the future head of MI6..........

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle6644199.ece
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #57
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I have a facebook and log in several times a day.....but then again I'm the average person in the 20-30 age range. I use it mostly to keep in touch with friends who don't live near me. I have friends all over the country. I also enjoy playing games. I started out doing all the other applications, but grew bored with that quickly, and now don't even respond to them. I have my settings to where I only get emails when someone adds me, comments on my wall, or sends me a message. I enjoy the "snooping" aspect also. I do also have a myspace, but I much prefer facebook. I have a twitter too (obviously as you can see below) but that often gets "forgotten".
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #58
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
I have a Facebook account and might check it once a day. I got dragged on to it by a dear old friend I don't really understand the point of it. From time to time I get friend requests which I usually accept; a few people I knew in high school and a number of people I knew from a BBS back in the late 80s and early 90s. As near as I can tell what Facebook does best is allow people to ignore each other while pretending to be keeping in touch.

I also have a Live Journal account which seems to work better for keeping in touch with people you want to keep in touch with. Atleast until all your friends start spending every waking moment doing heavens know what on Facebook.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #59
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
...I do however like Twitter...
Have a Facebook account. Don't use it though. For one thing, I feel kinda crowded out by the 20-somethings that have, like, 500 friends each.

I have a Twitter account too, but I don't think I "get it". Can you tell a specific person something, or are you just broadcasting every message to all of your followers? In other words, is there a way to get a message to someone who doesn't follow you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.guru View Post
...I have made 0 posts on Twitter, yet I have 2 followers. ...
Just this past week, I've gotten 2 "followers". Both of them were female and had raunchy messages. I blocked both of them, but I wonder if this kind of spam is new and/or going to drag down what is otherwise something that many people seem to find useful?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #60
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
I have a Twitter account too, but I don't think I "get it". Can you tell a specific person something, or are you just broadcasting every message to all of your followers? In other words, is there a way to get a message to someone who doesn't follow you?
You can send a "direct message" which is private. But, you can only send those to your followers. You can send a message to someone who doesn't follow you using @username at the beginning of the message.

But, no if they don't follow you you can't send a private one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Just this past week, I've gotten 2 "followers". Both of them were female and had raunchy messages. I blocked both of them, but I wonder if this kind of spam is new and/or going to drag down what is otherwise something that many people seem to find useful?
Yea, typical twitter spam. The hope is [I assume] that you will click on the link in their one and only post or their profile or follow them back. THere are many people on twitter that automatically follow anyone that follows them.

NO need to block them. As long as you don't follow them back you won't be affected. Frankly, I turned off follow notices by email so I don't have to worry about that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote