Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-04-2023, 07:59 AM   #5941
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Is it an issue if you download PD titles faster than you read them, and free offers on Amazon / Kobo / Smashwords? Technically you didn't spend money.
Even eclutter is clutter. The more books, the more time you have to spend curating your library so it's accessible. I'd rather see/know that the books I have are books I'd like to read, even though I'm imperfect. Years and years ago I purged my Amazon account of freebies I'd never read. Whew! At least now I can scroll through my books with pleasure, aware of possibilities. My besetting sin is not getting rid of mistakes I paid for. I'd be happier if they were gone, but even though I'm well aware of the sunk cost fallacy, they have to rise to a higher level of stinkiness than freebies. As I said, imperfect.

As for PD, might as well wait on the reading. Yeah, I know, they might be pulled for various reasons including formatting, but the overwhelming majority will still be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Whether I should count them as TBR when they're only vaguely potentially TBR is another question. They're not really any more TBR than the contents of project gutenberg or my local library.
The major purges are behind me and so rather than spend even more unproductive time clearing out my TBR at the margins, I treat my TBR as a relative value, i.e., books bought less (paid-for) books read. I don't have an absolute value to ascribe to my TBR. "Many", "lots", "more than I'll read in my lifetime" -- they're all good enough.

I bought only one book in November and I'm finally off the Amazon treadmill, where I kept rolling over bonus credit into more credit, so that should help keep acquisitions in check.

Last edited by issybird; 12-04-2023 at 08:33 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:04 AM   #5942
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I enjoy curating books and find satisfaction browsing through my library of public domain and freebies.

That said I do not go out of my way to find freebies unless I have an urge to curate some new books, and even then I only pick up books if there is some chance that I'll read them.

My TBR list is only for books that I've spent money on and mostly exists as a reminder to think thrice before spending money on more books.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2023, 01:47 PM   #5943
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Is it an issue if you download PD titles faster than you read them, and free offers on Amazon / Kobo / Smashwords? Technically you didn't spend money.
I suspect that many of us have been there and done that. After a while, most of the people I've chatted with seem to conclude that they should apply the same standards to a freebie that they apply to a purchase. While you are not spending money, your time has to be worth something.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #5944
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I suspect that many of us have been there and done that. After a while, most of the people I've chatted with seem to conclude that they should apply the same standards to a freebie that they apply to a purchase. While you are not spending money, your time has to be worth something.
I'm with you on this. I finally took a whole WHACK of freebies and archived it off of my Calibre into a separate library. If I'm ever desperate for a book to read, I can always go look there. But the clutter is all in its very own "room" and I don't have to see it. (And there's still WAY too much crap in my main Calibre database, but that's going to take a more considered and thoughtful approach to cleaning out. But at least all the stuff there now I actually thought I might read some day. If I lived to ~125 and never bought another new book.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 02:20 PM   #5945
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I have, at my current reading pace, about 10 years worth of books. I am replacing classics with nice editions from Standard Ebooks, and will occasionally grab extras there, if I see something I like.

There isn't anything on my shelves or in my Calibre library at this point that I don't want to read (except some paperbooks my wife buys). I am trying to curate for retirement
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2023, 11:42 AM   #5946
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
November was good and bad. Only bought 5 ebooks and those with credits (credit card rewards+Kindle rewards). All series currently reading. The bad was the member sale at Audible. I'd say close to a year of listening at my current rate. About a half and half blend of novellas and full length books.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:34 PM   #5947
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
I managed to only buy five ebooks in November! Unfortunately, it was offset by the dozen or so digital comics I purchased during D.C's Black Friday sale...
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 10:18 PM   #5948
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I only bought one book in November.

Mostly been catching up on the pile of shame and keeping up with my fanfic updates.

My last survey payment I put towards a Kobo gift card that I will get on December 24th.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 12-08-2023 at 10:21 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 07:09 PM   #5949
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I managed to get through the post-Christmas "stuff your ereader" sales with only 5 books, three of which were free, and I'm already reading one of the freebies.

I'm just going to pretend the whole rest of the month doesn't matter.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 09:07 PM   #5950
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I made it through two stuff your ereader sales with only two ebooks both of which were picked up for my wife. It would have been quite a few more but calibre kept saying you already have this book. There is a fantasy/SF one coming up which may be a lot more tempting to me but that's not till January.

OTOH, to this point in December, I have added 103 ebooks to my collection.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 09:41 PM   #5951
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought 3 books for Christmas and read all three in the span of a few hours. Maybe I should've gotten longer books, lol.
Old 12-30-2023, 12:27 PM   #5952
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I bought a total of 38 books in 2023 for my best year since 2018 (32). I anticipate doing better still in 2024, as exactly half of my purchases were from Amazon, occasioned in part by Kindle Rewards bonus points and I'm done with the program. It'll be difficult to beat my best year, 2017, when I bought only 22 books, but that's my goal -- although I'll consider it a moral victory if I hold it to two books per month.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 03:55 PM   #5953
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've bought 132 this year (so far!). Well above my total last year of 84.

I was rather undone by August, which saw 43 purchases.

OTOH, there are very few purchases this year that I regret buying. Is this a good thing or a bad one? Perhaps there won't be such splendid offers in 2024 as in 2023, and I can keep my purchases under 100 again.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 04:23 PM   #5954
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

If I don't count freebies, I bought 30 books this year, last year I bought 44.

My income is somewhat limited though, which curbs the entire impulse purchase thing - I only browse when I have the money to spend. Most my acquisitions are freebies, library loans, and fanfics.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:15 PM   #5955
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
My Kobo purchase history shows 71 books purchased in 2023, so with Amazon and Smashwords, I'd be close to 80, I think. It might be time for an intervention after all.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote