Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2023, 02:02 PM   #5911
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Next Next step - go shopping on your own shelves.
When I finish a book that's just what I do - well, not so much shopping as lucky dip. I just display all my unread books and ask calibre to pick one at random!

With nearly 700 unread books it's the only way, IMO. It's very rare that I find a book in my unread pile that I don't want to read.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 02:13 PM   #5912
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
When I finish a book that's just what I do - well, not so much shopping as lucky dip. I just display all my unread books and ask calibre to pick one at random!

With nearly 700 unread books it's the only way, IMO. It's very rare that I find a book in my unread pile that I don't want to read.
Very similar process here. I have 692 unread in Calibre and 751 unread on our shelves. I'm not interested in all the DTB as that collection is collated by my wife. When its time for something new, I check my TBR challenge, then random calibre, then ask my wife to pick something off the shelves for me.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2023, 12:00 PM   #5913
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I stopped visiting this in case I saw something…
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Oh, yes. You can't be seduced by the deal you don't see.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 12:13 PM   #5914
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's what I need to work on:

I rarely, now, (although not never) fall for a cheap price I stumble across for a book that's not already on my wishlist. But I am a sucker for deals where you have to spend money first to save money second, as is typical with Kindle deals. It's not a disaster, especially when either the first or second transaction (or both) involve Big Four books that aren't going to get cheaper, except that I already have credit at Kobo and Google and BN. It's the outlay!

The majority of my purchases this year have involved some kind of deal or kickback or both. I'm already contemplating some resolution for next year for more stringent criteria than just deal + wishlist. It happens too often and as a result my TBR is going down at a glacial pace. And yes, P.T. Barnum obviously had my number, at least in regard to ebooks!
Old 09-15-2023, 02:25 PM   #5915
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
@Issybird: Have you considered public libraries? That has become my favourite way to avoid paying for books, regardless of Amazon's deals. Almost all of the Big Four books end up at one of my libraries, and while I might have to wait a while, my TBR is large enough that that isn't a significant problem.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2023, 03:46 PM   #5916
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
@Issybird: Have you considered public libraries? That has become my favourite way to avoid paying for books, regardless of Amazon's deals. Almost all of the Big Four books end up at one of my libraries, and while I might have to wait a while, my TBR is large enough that that isn't a significant problem.
Oh, I get a ton of books from the library, both ebooks and audiobooks*. It's the main reason my TBR doesn't drop much -- I really don't buy all that many books over the course of the year and I only buy books none of my libraries owns**. I never care how long I have to wait, either.

*My audiobook library doesn't factor into my TBR. My list, my rules. But audiobooks are another reason my TBR melts slower than glaciers do these days.

**I really miss the recommend function at OverDrive, because sometimes it was successful.

ETA: I took a quick look and I've read 98 books so far this year and bought 30. But my TBR is down only three books.

ETA2: I also read a lot of public domain and they don't count, either.

ETA3: And of course library books rise to the top of the pile because of due dates.

Last edited by issybird; 09-15-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2023, 04:45 PM   #5917
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I like owning the books I've read, rather than borrowing them. And (for me) the expensive is trivial - around £10 per month on average this year.

Hmm... I realise that I've actually been doing quite well over the past five years - TBR down from 1000 to 700. But that's certainly no reason to relax.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:43 PM   #5918
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I've recently found myself having less and less patience with series.

Unless something else intrigues me, 'first book of a series' is more often making me turn away from books -- and even if it does intrigue me, I tend to check the negative Goodreads reviews to make sure it doesn't end on a dumb cliffhanger.

Admittedly, the dumb cliffhanger thing seems to be more a thing with Kindle Unlimited authors, and I don't buy Kindle anymore.

(Cozy mysteries are an exception - due to the format, they tend to be standalone. But still best to read in order - if this person's a romance interest in book 5, it spoils the 'are they the killer?' of book 1.)

Admittedly, this helps cut back on the buying. So yay.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-15-2023 at 06:47 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:42 PM   #5919
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I now have 666 books in my unread pile

I'm aiming to get towards a TBR of around 100.....
You definitely should take on a horror book.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 01:01 AM   #5920
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh, I get a ton of books from the library, both ebooks and audiobooks*. It's the main reason my TBR doesn't drop much -- I really don't buy all that many books over the course of the year and I only buy books none of my libraries owns**. I never care how long I have to wait, either.

*My audiobook library doesn't factor into my TBR. My list, my rules. But audiobooks are another reason my TBR melts slower than glaciers do these days.
Agree. I'm the same way.
Quote:
**I really miss the recommend function at OverDrive, because sometimes it was successful.
Yes, I miss that as well. Though one of my libraries allows one to create a "watch list" of authors that they'll notify you if they purchase a book by that author. It seems to help a little?
Quote:
ETA: I took a quick look and I've read 98 books so far this year and bought 30. But my TBR is down only three books.

ETA2: I also read a lot of public domain and they don't count, either.

ETA3: And of course library books rise to the top of the pile because of due dates.
Yes, they do. Which is why I'm reading some Nero Wolf right now.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:32 AM   #5921
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Are you listening to the audiobooks? I think Michael Prichard does an excellent job with these. They turned out to be my favorite pool listen of the past summer.

Last edited by issybird; 09-16-2023 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2023, 06:18 PM   #5922
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Congratulations on having second thoughts!

Next step - not buying at all and adding to your watch list instead

I put a lot of books on the Amazon wish list and see if they drop in price. Nice thing about their wish list is they will give you the percentage of the price drop. What makes me mad is when I pay full price for a NYT bestseller then 2 weeks later it's on sale for $1.99.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 08:42 AM   #5923
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I put a lot of books on the Amazon wish list and see if they drop in price. Nice thing about their wish list is they will give you the percentage of the price drop.
I've got a few on my wish list, but the prices keep going the wrong direction, i.e., up. For some reason , Amazon doesn't inform you about price increases for items on the wish list. You have to notice those yourself.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:02 AM   #5924
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I got a $25 Kobo gift card as a survey reward. I decided to get myself an expensive-ish book that'd been sitting on my wishlist for a while and isn't likely to go on sale. I still have a few dollars left over.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:29 AM   #5925
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel
Are you listening to the audiobooks? I think Michael Prichard does an excellent job with these. They turned out to be my favorite pool listen of the past summer.
Yes, I'm listening to the Pritchard audio books. And yes, I think he does an excellent job. As always.