Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #556
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Also the instruction says: Use the dust-absorber to absorb dust from the screen.

So this tape is probably the above mentioned dust-absorber.
In some videos you can clearly hear that a "cellotape" or "cello tape" or "Sellotape" is used.
Sellotape is a brand name, and cellotape is a generic name of a cellophane tape (a cellulose-based transparent adhesive tape). So, I guess, any such tape you might use when wrapping your Christmas gifts, etc.

There are more videos although not Note-specific. This video even has comments from a professional protector installer. How to remove dust particles after installing the protector:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvrgTT6GSPk

This one shows a shower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB3BQVqlXm0

A good idea to fix at the side:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8SYR9133TA

In two places for a large screen, so this is our case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=Nx_7ad4takY

Removing dust particles and bubles afterwards (somewhat similar to the 1st one):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=Nus18lH4SkU

The last three videos seem to show a special dust absorbing tape instead of a generic cellotape.

There are many more videos on Youtube, not sure if I got the best ones.
Hello Parkher,

Thank for all this links
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #557
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
On other videos they actually use Scotch tape. Some use hinge method, some gradual peel off method, some - combined method, with the hinge and then gradual peel off. Some make one hinge of the length of the entire screen. Some put the device on a damp cloth to reduce a chance of dust rising up near it. Some use wide tape and cover with it the whole screen in an overlapping fashion. Then, when it is removed, no dust particles are remaining. I just don't want to flood this forum with youtube links. But you can get many ideas there.

Last edited by parkher; 08-19-2018 at 11:47 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #558
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question Mark,
So I used a lens cleaner with a microfiber cloth. So far, nothing bad happened. I don't know if various such sprays have very different formulas, the one I used is Hilco Leader Lens Cleaner in a big 236 ml (8 oz) bottle, so I have a lot of it left for further cleaning
It says on the bottle: Alcohol-FREE AR formula, effectively cleans all lens types without streaking.
Amazon says: Providing effective, streak free cleaning, Hilco's Leader lens cleaner is alcohol free and Colts approved for use on all eyewear lens coatings.
Whatever "Colts approved" is.

After cleaning the screen, I don't see any scratches yet. Perhaps not too late to put the protector on. But do I need it, if I will not be using the stylus anymore. I will not be using any swipes or dragging with fingers either, just in case. Just gentle taps. Except when selecting a multi-word phrase for a dictionary lookup.

The built-in file manager (Storage) allows to get to any place in long lists without any dragging, just by tapping page up / page down virtual buttons or tapping any point on the slider.
It is worse with Cool Reader - its built-in manager does not support that. I am thinking about modifying CR if I can manage to build it from sources. In that case I would put the page up / page down actions on the "back" button of Note. I already did that with next page/previous page buttons: next page/previous page/exit: single press/double press/long press.

Last edited by parkher; 08-19-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #559
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
So I used a lens cleaner with a microfiber cloth. So far, nothing bad happened... It says on the bottle: Alcohol-FREE AR formula, effectively cleans all lens types without streaking.
Good to know.

Quote:
After cleaning the screen, I don't see any scratches yet. Perhaps not too late to put the protector on. But do I need it, if I will not be using the stylus anymore. I will not be using any swipes with fingers either, just in case. Just gentle taps. Except when selecting a multi-word phrase for a dictionary lookup.
I would still apply the screen protector since you already have it.

Why limit yourself by not applying it and being fearful of using the stylus or using swipe gestures? Having more options is usually preferable to having less.

What have you got to lose except a little bit of time? If it doesn't work out on your initial attempt, then you can reconsider whether or not you want to purchase another screen protector and try again.

BTW, thanks for posting the links to the YouTube videos. Wish I had had the good sense to search for some before applying my screen protector.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #560
parkher
Evangelist

Actually, they sent me 3 screen protectors, although I ordered just 1. My issue is this: will it degrade contrast? Will the text look somehow worse with it.

In those videos, after the protector is already applied, you can lift its corner and remove dust particles and get rid of bubbles. The question is: can you still do it after a considerable time passes.
Advert
Old 08-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #561
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually, they sent me 3 screen protectors, although I ordered just 1. My issue is this: will it degrade contrast? Will the text look somehow worse with it.
I didn't really notice any significant degradation in contrast after applying mine. However, your eyes might be more discerning than mine. But, if you did notice a significant difference, you could always remove the screen protector and go back to using your Note without one. They are not permanent fixtures.

Quote:
In those videos, after the protector is already applied, you can lift its corner and remove dust particles and get rid of bubbles. The question is: can you still do it after a considerable time passes.
You can certainly lift up and/or remove the screen protector after a considerable period of time has passed. They are not permanent fixtures.

However, I don't know if one which was removed after a considerable period of time would stick back down as nicely.

But, if you were able to install it dust free as in the videos, why would you be interested in lifting up a corner of it after using it for a considerable length of time unless it had become scratched and you wanted to replace it?
Old 08-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #562
parkher
Evangelist

Question Mark,

I was thinking about you. If you have some dust particles with bubbles, could you still try to remove them? Not the whole protector, only those particles. Not seconds but rather weeks or months after attaching the protector.

Last edited by parkher; 08-19-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #563
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
If you have some dust particles with bubbles, could you still try to remove them? Not the whole protector, only those particles. Not seconds but rather weeks or months after attaching the protector.
I do have a few dust particles with bubbles under my screen protector. Had i just applied it, I would be tempted to try some of the techniques in the videos you linked to to remove them.

However, when I initially applied my protector, I attempted to remove some of them simply by lifting up the screen protector with my fingers. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of touching the underside of the screen protector with my finger and it has never adhered as closely to the screen in that area as it did before. Because of that, I am hesitant to lift the screen protector up again for fear of spreading the problem. Luckily, the few dust particles and bubbles under the screen don't really bother me and don't affect the functioning of the device in any way.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #564
parkher
Evangelist

Maybe I will do this trick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--nXnFEMuyQ

Because I found out that I have a similar tape: approximately 5 cm / 2" wide.

BTW, yesterday I wrote:
I am thinking about modifying CR if I can manage to build it from sources.

Turns out, nothing can be easier than to build Cool Reader from its sources, anybody's grandmother can do it with a few mouse clicks. I just built it from sources and it is running on Note, without breaking so far
So we have the perfect reading software that we can modify any way we like to work on Note according to our tastes.

Last edited by parkher; 08-20-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:07 PM   #565
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Maybe I will do this trick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--nXnFEMuyQ

Because I found out that I have a similar tape: approximately 5 cm / 2" wide.
Gor for it. However, I would personally be more inclined to use painter's tape than the packing tape shown in the video.

Packing tape is much more adhesive and I would be worried that it might leave some residue on the screen. After all, it is designed to stay in place.

In contrast, painter's tape is designed to peel off very easily. It would likely provide enough adhesiveness to lift off any particles of dust without leave any stickky residue on the screen.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #566
parkher
Evangelist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leFuF-zoVzA

Here a guy decided to make his own iPhone. So in the process they attach the polarizer layer to the screen. Something similar to attaching the screen protector. And then they put it in a bubble removal machine! (approximately 7:50 in the video). We need one!
Old 08-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #567
phantasma
phantasma began at the beginning.

Device: Remarkable, KA1
Hi all,

I am considering buying a Note, but I would like to know your experience with side-by-side view of a PDF/eBook. Have you tested it with apps like Librera? Is it usable on the 10.3 device? There is a movie here on YT , but it shows Librera on Max2, rather than Note.

Thanks,
phantasma
phantasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #568
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hello,

You could read this :
I use a Max2 and I test the beta version. A big problem is when you use PDF files in 2 pages mode and crop the pages with the very useful functions, the link are not usable, but 'pdftk' is your friend to make the job. The bug is known by Foobnix.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 AM   #569
romanlryji
romanlryji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Keyboard, Kindle DX, Onyx Boox Note
The drawing tool doesn't work

The drawing tool doesn't work. The only way to make it to do it is to switch to the full-screen mode and back.

Moreover, it doesn't work in the notetaking tool while reading. It accepts shapes only, and all freedrawing notes disappear with the pressing of "Save" button.

So THE STYLUS WITH THE DEVICE IS USELESS.

Last edited by romanlryji; 09-25-2018 at 04:18 AM.
romanlryji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #570
kra28
kra28 began at the beginning.

Device: M96
Hello,
I have one question to usability of Onyx Boox Note. Is it usable similarly as a tablet? It means, is it possible to simply read emails, download pdfs from emails, download pdfs in web pages and so on? I had M92 and M96 and for them the answer is no, they are usable for reading pdfs and making notes (with small or big problems), the UI and related properties are not comfortable. It seems that Onyx Boox Note is near to features of a tablet and features related to eink are better compared to M96.

Thank you for an answer,

Michal

Update: I have read all posts of this thread and I can probably answer my question: Boox Note is better than the older devices (web browsing is rather possible and so on) but it is not perfect, unfortunately it is a normal situation in the world of Eink readers.

Update2: Finally I bought Boox Note. It is surprise for me that Boox Note is incomparably better than M96 or M92. It seems that it is finally a usable e-ink reader. I can read pdf files, I can write notices, and, other applications (web browser, dropbox, and so on) are also usable. It is not the same as a tablet, but the constraints are given with properties of the e-ink display, not CPU, memory or a lot of bugs in applications.

Last edited by kra28; 11-09-2018 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Solution
kra28 is offline   Reply With Quote