Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-15-2023, 09:54 AM   #541
jvscholz
jvscholz began at the beginning.

Device: glowlight 4
Ok, good news. Using "fastboot flash boot nnglow21.img"and "fastboot reboot" I was able to get it into recovery successfully. This time "update-binary 2 1 /data/media/0/update.zip" worked and the device rebooted as expected. I didn't have to create recovery in /cache as it already existed. Upon setting up the device it immediately started updating to 8.1.4.45 and now it appears as if the device is back to oem as it's no longer rooted (assuming it was rooted in the first place, I couldn't check in time). Should I reattempt to root the device? I had assumed that the latest update was already installed and that it would be safe to connect to wifi. thank you
jvscholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 11:44 AM   #542
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvscholz View Post
Ok, good news.
Oh, good.
Wasn't the update.zip that you used already the 45 version that I posted the link?
Why would it update after booting normal system?

In any case, you've seen that they make it almost impossible to get to "recovery".
The stock "recovery" is only "flash factory".

Edit: Certanly you can Magisk.
I just used the boot.img extracted directly out of the 45 update.zip
You can Magisk convert it then either "fastboot flash" or recovery & dd or like I did, just dd it in the rooted UART console.

Last edited by Renate; 04-15-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2023, 11:28 AM   #543
lovinguoi
lovinguoi began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 4
<font class="papago-parent"><font class="papago-source" style="display:none;">Hi! Always getting a lot of help.</font>안녕하세요! 항상 많은 도움을 받고 있습니다.</font><font class="papago-parent"><font class="papago-source" style="display:none;"> Is there a way to change screensaver?</font>화면 보호기를 변경할 수 있는 방법이 있습니까?</font><font class="papago-parent"><font class="papago-source" style="display:none;"> I really want to change.</font>저는 정말 바꾸고 싶어요.</font>
lovinguoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:35 PM   #544
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinguoi View Post
Is there a way to change screensaver?
The default "sleep" images are in /system/media/SleepImageNook.
The files are called 1.png to 6.png
If you are using Magisk you can write a module to overlay those files.
They are obviously 1072 x 1448 PNG images.

If you don't like Magisk you can flash neoglow21.img (in my sig) to recovery.
Then you can mount system and delete 2.png to 6.png and replace 1.png
Code:
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
cp whatever.png /system/media/SleepImageNook/1.png
reboot

Last edited by Renate; 05-11-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:05 AM   #545
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I wonder when its coming out?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2023, 12:52 AM   #546
Tialex
Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4e
Is it necessary for update.zip in the rooting procedure to match the exact version of the nook firmware onboard? I assumed this, but in my case I could not update from the listed 8.1.4.43(A) to (hopefully) match the mentioned 8.1.4.45 update. I also tried to predict the url based on the mentioned examples, but both /4.43/ and /4.43A/ variants didn't work.
Thanks
Tialex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 04:44 PM   #547
Tialex
Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4e
Interestingly trying to work around the inability of my nook to upgrade over the air (see my previous post), discovered that the old way of manual update listed at this page kind of works on glowlight 4. So if I connect the device to the PC and copy update.zip file into to root of the storage drive then after disconnecting and about 50 seconds, Nook unexpectedly restarts and tries to upgrade the system. The only problem in my case was that the 8.1.4.43(A)->8.1.4.45 (downloaded from the link posted several times here and with https proto just in case) doesn't work with an error "Install failed'. It restores to the previous state, but mission was not complete unfortunately...
Tialex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 04:31 AM   #548
plainbriny
Enthusiast
plainbriny began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Glowlight 4, Hyread Gaze Mini+
EDIT:
Don't know what I did, may be reformat mmcblk0p1 with mkfs?
After re-flashing neo noogie and misc-rec, and several reboots, it now works and I have successfully updated GL4, it is now back to factory again.
Thank you for the wonderful Neo Noogie.
Please disregard the rest of the reply.
EDIT END
Hi Renate,

I have done something wrong to my GL4 and it is now totally blank. I managed to flash neo noogie and misc rec.
However, when booting into recovery, I did not see the Neo Noogie splash.
I can access adb and when installing update, UDISK is missing.

Code:
E60P54_android:/cache # mount -t t2fs /dev/block/by-name/UDISK /data                                                               
mount: '/dev/block/by-name/UDISK'->'/data': No such device
I can mount cache (mmcblk0p9), but I can not mount data (mmcblk0p1)
Is there any way to create this partition and proceed with the update installation?

Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Ok, can you still get to fastboot? If so, here's how to proceed, carefully.
If something doesn't react as portrayed, stop!

Preparation

Download http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/pi...1/gentoo/3.123

Download nnglow21.img from http://www.temblast.com/neonoogie.htm

Get misc-rec.prc from attachment. Just rename it plain misc-rec

Install rooted recovery

Go to fastboot:

Code:
C:\>fastboot flash recovery nnglow21.img
C:\>fastboot flash misc misc-rec
Long power press to reset, you should see a splash with "Neo Noogie".

Install update

Code:
C:\>adb shell
# mount -t f2fs /dev/block/by-name/UDISK /data
# mount -t ext4 /dev/block/by-name/cache /cache
# ^D
C:\>adb push update.zip /data/media/0
# update-binary 2 1 /data/media/0/update.zip
<lots of printing, should end happily>
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/by-name/misc
dd: /dev/block/by-name/misc: write error: No space left on device <not a problem, correct>
^D is control key + d

Hit the power button (which has "Reboot normally" written under it)
If that doesn't work do a really long power press ~30 seconds.

Last edited by plainbriny; 03-28-2024 at 05:58 AM.
plainbriny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:12 AM   #549
nick84
Enthusiast
nick84 began at the beginning.

Device: KA2, KH2O2, KAOne, Nook4, KMini, PW5, K11, KV
Quote:
return {
[139] = "LPgBack", -- Nook Left Page Back (left lower button)
[140] = "LPgFwd", -- Nook Left Page Forward (left upper button)
[141] = "LPgFwd", -- Nook Right Page Forward (right upper button)
[142] = "LPgBack", -- Nook Right Page Back (right lower button)
}
This method stopped working recently. May be something to do with firmware update. Any ideas how to put the page turn buttons back to work on Koreader? Thanks.
nick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 03:50 PM   #550
joshuamotte
joshuamotte began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4
Issues with trying to mount system in recovery mode

Quote:
The default "sleep" images are in /system/media/SleepImageNook.
The files are called 1.png to 6.png
If you are using Magisk you can write a module to overlay those files.
They are obviously 1072 x 1448 PNG images.

If you don't like Magisk you can flash neoglow21.img (in my sig) to recovery.
Then you can mount system and delete 2.png to 6.png and replace 1.png
Code:
mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
cp whatever.png /system/media/SleepImageNook/1.png
reboot
Hello Renate. I tried to use Magisk and overlay the files but I had difficulty actually figuring out to overlay the commands as using su resulted with an Authentication failure. Apparently it had something to do with Ubuntu having the root disabled by default so your first method I could not figure out.

So I ended up trying to do the second method and I used neoglow21.img to get the nook into recovery mode but whenever I tried the mount command, I got this back in the terminal:

"mount: /system: mount point does not exist.
dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call".

I'm not very smart when it comes to this stuff so any help would be appreciated on how to mount the system and be able to change my wallpaper. Also your past comments helped me out a lot in rooting my GL4, so thank you very much
joshuamotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 04:20 PM   #551
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuamotte View Post
... using su resulted with an Authentication failure...
The "su" was to be addressed to the Android shell, not your desktop.
Code:
$ su
#
(That's why I always pretend that you've got a Windows desktop as the prompts are less ambiguous. C:\> means desktop, even if it's Linux.)
"su" only works for Magisk. The regular system does not have it, my recovery doesn't need it.

Quote:
mount: /system: mount point does not exist.
Hmm, maybe it doesn't.
Code:
# mkdir /system
Old 06-12-2024, 05:40 PM   #552
joshuamotte

Quote:
The "su" was to be addressed to the Android shell, not your desktop.
Code:
$ su
#
(That's why I always pretend that you've got a Windows desktop as the prompts are less ambiguous. C:\> means desktop, even if it's Linux.)
"su" only works for Magisk. The regular system does not have it, my recovery doesn't need it.

Hmm, maybe it doesn't.
Code:
# mkdir /system
Thank you very much for the quick reply Renate!

The su for the Android shell makes a lot more sense now. I also didn't realize that to mount the system, I should also be in the shell. I was able to download my wallpaper onto the Nook and hopefully mounted it. This is what I did:

$ adb push wallpaperNook.png /system/media
$ adb shell
# mount -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
# cp /system/media/wallpaperNook.png /system/media/SleepImageNook/1.png
# reboot

But now I have no idea how to even get out of the Neo Noogie page or out of recovery. I was following directions on post #535 by jvscholz, but I have yet to find a way out of Neo Noogie. I am probably forgetting something quite apparent but I haven't been able to find a way out for the past few hours. Running the command:

"# update-binary 2 1 /data/media/0/update.zip"

leaves me with:

"Unable to open '/data/media/0/update.zip': No such file or directory
failed to map package /data/media/0/update.zip"

even though I had previously downloaded it following the quote on post #535.

If you could yet again provide me with any help, I would be greatly appreciative as I am at a standstill
Old 06-12-2024, 06:05 PM   #553
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
But now I have no idea how to even get out of the Neo Noogie page or out of recovery.
If you get stuck in Noogie or recovery:
Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/by-name/misc count=1
# reboot
(Newer recoveries have a replacement reboot command that cleans up.)

Quote:
"Unable to open '/data/media/0/update.zip': No such file or directory
Well, apparently it's not there.
If you do have /data mounted you can adb push the file again.
If you have /cache you can push it there instead.

On other devices with big updates I just use an external flash drive.
Old 06-12-2024, 07:35 PM   #554
joshuamotte

Quote:
If you get stuck in Noogie or recovery:
Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/by-name/misc count=1
# reboot
(Newer recoveries have a replacement reboot command that cleans up.)

Well, apparently it's not there.
If you do have /data mounted you can adb push the file again.
If you have /cache you can push it there instead.

On other devices with big updates I just use an external flash drive.
Thank you very much for the help again!

I was able to get out of recovery mode by putting the update.zip file into cache like you said and it worked. For some reason, using data didn't work even though I thought I had both mounted. After the update-binary command I could use the dd command and then I could reboot

I had to end up re rooting the Nook which wasn't a big deal, but the edits I made to the sleep images did not stay, as everything was wiped. I want to try this again but I am not sure how to make the edits to the sleep images aren't erased when I take the Nook out of recovery mode. Are there any things I should watch out for if I follow your steps from your post #456 or is there a certain time I should be deleting the sleep images and replacing 1.png with my own? Or does doing the commands in #456 just reset the Nook?

Thank you again for all your help!
Old 06-12-2024, 10:22 PM   #555
Renate
Wizard

The update wipes out /system.
The sleep images were on /system.

Tags
nook