Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #5491
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you are trying to get your TBR pile down, do not get any of those book as audiobooks as they take longer to listen to then they would to read.
Not necessarily. When I’m driving, for example, it’s much more efficient to listen than to read. Dead women read no books.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:15 PM   #5492
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Not necessarily. When I’m driving, for example, it’s much more efficient to listen than to read. Dead women read no books.

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #5493
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm in danger. I just bought a seven book series. Now, these were the earlier series of mysteries where I've read the first one of a spin-off series and liked it. Probably liked it better than my rating (4/5) reflects. So I'm almost certain to enjoy these books.

But still. Seven books in one go. Bringing my total for the year up to 19!

A lot better than previous years, and I remain pleased by all my purchases this year so far (yes, I really did want each and every book).

But I need to redouble my efforts to scrutinise any possible purchase. I must remember to ask: Do I really want this book? Would it be better to wait until later to buy?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #5494
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I have downloaded about 20 books from mobileread since the start of the year. I really have enough books to last me a lifetime and I can see myself opening the purse strings just for about 3 books per year. My cup runneth over.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #5495
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But I need to redouble my efforts to scrutinise any possible purchase. I must remember to ask: Do I really want this book? Would it be better to wait until later to buy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I have downloaded about 20 books from mobileread since the start of the year. I really have enough books to last me a lifetime and I can see myself opening the purse strings just for about 3 books per year. My cup runneth over.
It's true. All of us in this thread are, in truth, really fortunate to have lots of wonderful books to read.

I suspect that one of my reasons for over-buying is that I have years of pre-ebook era experience where finding enough interesting books to keep up with my reading speed was a constant struggle.

Moving from an era of famine to an era of feast has its problems. But on the whole, feast is better.

This month I've bought five ebooks from my wishlist that went on special offer. And they're all books that I'm very happy to have bought. My book buying at the moment is heavily weighted towards the start of the month when the Amazon monthly deals get released. I probably won't buy another book until May.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-02-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Advert
Old 04-02-2021, 08:59 AM   #5496
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's true. All of us in this thread are, in truth, really fortunate to have lots of wonderful books to read.

I suspect that one of my reasons for over-buying is that I have years of pre-ebook era experience where finding enough interesting books to keep up with my reading speed was a constant struggle.

Moving from an era of famine to an era of feast has its problems. But on the whole, feast is better.
So true. I can remember when I would drive to every store that sold books trying to find something to read. I lived in a small town that did not even have a book store. I would even hit the 7-11 type stores. They used to have a rack of books. 3 AM and I would be driving around looking for books at the same time the drunks were finally going home. I would even drive an hour and a half to got to books stores in Tallahassee.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:03 PM   #5497
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In March I bought two books after buying none in February. I fell as I anticipated because of a couple of quite good coupons. No real regrets, but I’ll note that I got a couple equally good coupons toward the end of the month and I let them expire. Not that there aren’t wishlist books that I could have used them on, but the issue of “just how soon do I see myself reading this” kicked in, in a good way.

I’ve bought five books so far this year, which puts me on pace to do better than my best year, 2017, when I bought only 22 books. However, I’ve already spent nearly half what I spent that year, so I think this being my cheapest year is already out of reach.

My TBR inches down at a glacial pace; so much of my reading is library/pd/audio. I’m making an effort to be less seduced by library books; not that provenance matters per se, but books read on a whim because I could borrow them tend to be less satisfying than the ones I paid cold hard cash for. And the due date factor means they jump to the head of the queue ahead of books I really want to read.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:52 PM   #5498
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My Audible binging got pretty bad but I have now cancelled my membership until at least November. I also have to step up my listening as my spreadsheet indicates by my current rate, I have 8.4 years of unlistened audiobook listening ahead. That is all sources, not just Audible though. Gack!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:57 AM   #5499
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
My Audible binging got pretty bad but I have now cancelled my membership until at least November. I also have to step up my listening as my spreadsheet indicates by my current rate, I have 8.4 years of unlistened audiobook listening ahead. That is all sources, not just Audible though. Gack!
I started an Audible subscription a year ago in February and have not kept up with it. I've listened to a few books and bought a few more and now I have 10 credits. I feel as if I am wasting $15/month. Is it easy to suspend a membership and can I still access all my audiobooks on the Audible app on my phone while I am not a member?

A friend got me started on this by saying she was "giving" me a book she wanted me to have. I went to get it and saw that I had to take a trial membership to get it. So she was not giving me anything except the idea to read that book. I didn't know that I would not get into the habit of listening to books. I prefer to read on my kindle. I listen to podcasts when I go for a walk.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #5500
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I started an Audible subscription a year ago in February and have not kept up with it. I've listened to a few books and bought a few more and now I have 10 credits. I feel as if I am wasting $15/month. Is it easy to suspend a membership and can I still access all my audiobooks on the Audible app on my phone while I am not a member?

A friend got me started on this by saying she was "giving" me a book she wanted me to have. I went to get it and saw that I had to take a trial membership to get it. So she was not giving me anything except the idea to read that book. I didn't know that I would not get into the habit of listening to books. I prefer to read on my kindle. I listen to podcasts when I go for a walk.
You can suspend your membership for three months, once a year. In any case, if you quit, you have access to all the books you’ve bought, but you need to use up your credits before quitting, because those disappear.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:14 AM   #5501
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You can suspend your membership for three months, once a year. In any case, if you quit, you have access to all the books you’ve bought, but you need to use up your credits before quitting, because those disappear.
Thanks. Then I would still have access to the app? I wouldn't leave until I buy all those books. Oh, what I got myself into. Will have to start listening more.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:12 AM   #5502
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
Thanks. Then I would still have access to the app? I wouldn't leave until I buy all those books. Oh, what I got myself into. Will have to start listening more.
Yes. The app is still useable and you retain access to everything you’ve bought.
Old 04-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #5503
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I bought one book so far this year. However, I'll soon need to obtain more. Recently, I've been sampling and deleting the many "vintage" books on my ereaders. My bought-and-loaded TBR list is under 20.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #5504
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I bought one book so far this year. However, I'll soon need to obtain more. Recently, I've been sampling and deleting the many "vintage" books on my ereaders. My bought-and-loaded TBR list is under 20.
Wow. A TBR of twenty? I think you've graduated from this thread, and may move onto the Free/Bargain threads.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #5505
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Going back through my "My Books" at Kobo was a salutary experience. Discovering I still had ~160 unread books all bought in the 30 months since I got my first Kobo has given me the jolt I needed to keep my fingers off the keyboard when the Kobo emails come in - though I did buy the latest in Karen Baugh Menuhin's Heathcliff Lennox series from Kindle over the weekend. Still, 13 bought this year versus 79 read is a positive start on tackling my TBR .
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote