Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2021, 05:30 AM   #5476
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My ebook addiction is down quite a bit. Thank amazon. Their deal of the day selection has been pretty horrible of late. That and I have a backlog of books to read. I don't even check daily anymore. I do look on Sunday which appears to be their best day for decent selections. I did recently pick up 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' got 1.99.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:40 AM   #5477
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I do recommend setting up a wish list in ereaderiq.com rather than checking the daily deal.

(1) You won't miss things you'd really like when you forget to check
(2) You won't miss things you'd really like that are on offer but not in the daily deal
(3) You won't be tempted by things you don't really want just because they're in the daily deal.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #5478
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The first-of-the-month reckoning:

I bought no books in February; I let a $1 digital credit expire as well as not taking advantage of the Spend $XX, Get $YY promotion at Amazon. This means I’ve bought three books on the year and I’ve turned things around with my TBR, going from a net gain to minus three.

My reality which I internalized last month is that the prices of the books on my wishlist never budge much. Moreover, I’m adding very little to it and overall, it’s got stale. Nothing is pressing. At this point, I’d fall for a 50% off coupon at Kobo, but otherwise it would have to be a drastic reduction in a wishlist price and history says it’s unlikely.

Anyway, that’s my hope and expectation. Getting a buyless month under my belt feels good; it starts to create a momentum of its own.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #5479
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I bought no books in February; I let a $1 digital credit expire as well as not taking advantage of the Spend $XX, Get $YY promotion at Amazon. This means I’ve bought three books on the year and I’ve turned things around with my TBR, going from a net gain to minus three.
Congratulations!

I cannot say the same. I first got the $5 credit from the Kindle January Challenge and then I did the Spend $$ Get $ last week.

BUT!

But, I used those most of purchases for books on topics I'm studying this year. I'm doing an independent learning project of sorts so I picked up some books for that. And one book was off my wishlist at 20% less than when I listed so I got that as well.

So yeah, not a great month in terms of restraint, but I do feel that my selections were carefully, consciously chosen so I'm feeling okay with that.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #5480
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I got the $5 credit from the challenge. I have two cents left. If I had the $1 credit I'd get another 99c book and have 3c left. I don't count free or paid with credits though since they only take up virtual space and don't cost anything. Yeah, I'm weak or cheating or whatever but it's the actual money spending I care about and working on.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #5481
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I bought five books in February. But they were all good buys.
And I've bought two already in March - two on my wishlist were in the Monthly deals at Amazon.

But I've also read ten books in February. So a net reduction.

It seems likely that my March buying will remain at 2, unless there's a really good daily deal.

It was giving up my regular subscriptions that has really made my TBR start to reduce.

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-02-2021 at 01:43 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #5482
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have now deleted my account on Reddit. Takes up way too much of my reading/listening time.

Still bought too many books/audiobooks in February, although most met my criteria of current authors/series. Still above budget over the 2 months. Despite this, my criteria has helped me not to do worse. Focus..focus.

Yay Issy! No new books in February!!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #5483
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I’m going to try to not buy any e-books in March. I mean I have hundreds and I’m only reading 2 or 3 books a month. We’ll see how I do!!!!!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #5484
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have now deleted my account on Reddit. Takes up way too much of my reading/listening time.
Good for you!

Quote:
Yay Issy! No new books in February!!
Thank you! And I’m already roughly 3⅓% through March!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I’m going to try to not buy any e-books in March. I mean I have hundreds and I’m only reading 2 or 3 books a month. We’ll see how I do!!!!!
Don’t check sales or deals. If you don’t see it, you can’t buy it. And there’s always another sale.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #5485
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I bought no books in February as I had bought many more books then planned in January (sale on bundle). I had resolved to buy no more books until my TBR list is down to pre-January levels and to firmly delete all promotional emails without reading, so far I've not bought anything although I've not quite managed to delete all promotional emails without reading.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #5486
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Good for you!

Thank you! And I’m already roughly 3⅓% through March!

Don’t check sales or deals. If you don’t see it, you can’t buy it. And there’s always another sale.
Good advice. I'm going to avoid looking at the Kobo Daily Deals and maybe avoid the Kobo store in general. If I spent as much time reading books as looking at books, then I'd get a lot more reading done!

Yes, there's always another sale and always another book (that I already have!)

Last edited by PurpleStar; 03-02-2021 at 10:55 AM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #5487
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
I cancelled a couple of my daily emails that were either all sales/deals or almost all. That way I mostly only see free now which I don't count since it doesn't take any of my money, the key to me.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #5488
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Day 50 without an ebook purchase.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:20 AM   #5489
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Day 7 here.

Only 7 purchases, so far, and I'm quite happy with them except for the unevenness of genre. I've bought 5 fantasy novels, 1 SF novel and 1 non-fiction book. Since I try to avoid reading the same genre back-to-back, the 5 fantasy novels cover at least 9 books (and go into my most over-subscribed genre), and some of them aren't short, so that's probably over 2 months' reading.

I've already read the SF, which was easy to fit into the gaps, and the non-fiction will be my next non-fiction read. It's the fantasy books that can potentially pile up. Two were for a readalong, so I will read those imminently. One was a longstanding wishlist book that completes a set and went down to 99p, so is just about forgivable even if it might go into long-term backlog.
DrNefario is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:52 AM   #5490
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are trying to get your TBR pile down, do not get any of those book as audiobooks as they take longer to listen to then they would to read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote