Notices

Old 04-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #481
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
The HDMI transmission may carry updates every period, and? What would you entail? Your concern is not clear.
The EPD changes its state on differentials only.
I guess my point is this, with the Max 2 I can get 10 hours of reading on one full charge if I am using the android system and reader, reading pdf's. However if I use the Max 2 as a secondary monitor to do reading, if I don't plug in the usb the battery only lasts about 90 mins.

This seemed to support booxtors belief that the max 2 when in monitor mode, the pixels were being refreshed many times per second via the h d mi and that was causing the high battery consumption.

If such is not the case, for what reason is the consumption so much higher when on appearance the screen is displaying the exact same thing when used as a monitor to read pdf's as apposed to when being used as a tablet to read pdf's?
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:49 PM   #482
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphoent View Post
This seemed to support booxtors belief that the max 2 when in monitor mode, the pixels were being refreshed many times per second via the h d mi and that was causing the high battery consumption
"belief"? You do not actually see them?
Verify.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2018, 05:12 AM   #483
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
Verify.
Well there clearly must be something causing the huge difference in current consumption between reading pdfs on the tablet apps and reading pdf's while using the tablet as a secondary monitor.

If it is not the case that the tablet is having to constantly be reading/applying a 33hz signal from the HDMI connection to the computer (as booxtor suggested) what are you proposing is the cause in the huge difference in current consumption?

As previously stated my aim to is be able to use my max 2 as an external monitor outside for more than an hour and a half to read pdf's, the same way kindle can last for days reading pdf's I cannot understand, if the tablet when in mirror mode is only being updated every time I change pdf page, why ishte battery consumption so poor, but 10 x butter when I read pdf's purely on the tablet.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:13 AM   #484
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
Verify.
furthermore, regarding vnc servers over usb, will they send information on a hz basis or will they only send information when there is actually movement of pixels?
Old 04-04-2018, 06:01 AM   #485
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
furthermore, surely the computer is still sending a screen update 33 (33hz is what my Mac reads for onyx max 2) times a second to the boox?

Did the usb onyx monitor apps work like this or did they only send an update when a pixel changed?

Any help will be appreciated
I would hazard a guess the onyx usb monitor app updates only in accordance with its own screen rate, and is supposed to update only when pixels on the desktop change. However, as mentioned earlier, it seems some devices cause it to update constantly, causing battery loss, but on some devices it functions normally.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #486
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If it is not the case that the tablet is having to constantly be reading/applying a 33hz signal from the HDMI connection to the computer (as booxtor suggested)
Booxtor did not suggest that.

One thing at a time. The swarm of dots is very visible to the average naked eye, otherwise visibie to cameras, magnifying glasses etc. In your case, is it there or not?

Last edited by mdp; 04-04-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 AM   #487
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
furthermore, regarding vnc servers over usb, will they send information on a hz basis or will they only send information when there is actually movement of pixels?
VNC data (RFB) is of course compressed - otherwise it would be badly done.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:30 AM   #488
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
I would hazard a guess the onyx usb monitor app updates only in accordance with its own screen rate
Yes but he means (I think) that through the HDMI cable truckloads of redunant data may transmitted and the Monitor software app is wasting battery processing that.

To assess this theory, use a battery monitor like GSam and check whether the consumption hits against "Screen" or "App: Monitor".
Verification which would be absurd ("Oh, you have a fever! [And three gunshots]") if he does not first just look closely at the screen and check if the dots are stable or swarming.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #489
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
On the wiki it says the Note can be used as a secondary monitor, but only in an upcoming Pro version. Is this still accurate?
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #490
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
Booxtor did not suggest that.

One thing at a time. The swarm of dots is very visible to the average naked eye, otherwise visibie to cameras, magnifying glasses etc. In your case, is it there or not?
the 'swarm'/flickering you are referring to I have seen before, and does display on rare occasions when I move the mouse, however it does not display when im reading pdf's at least to the naked eye, everything looks very still
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 AM   #491
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
Yes but he means (I think) that through the HDMI cable truckloads of redunant data may transmitted and the Monitor software app is wasting battery processing that.

To assess this theory, use a battery monitor like GSam and check whether the consumption hits against "Screen" or "App: Monitor".
Verification which would be absurd ("Oh, you have a fever! [And three gunshots]") if he does not first just look closely at the screen and check if the dots are stable or swarming.
the dots definitely appear stable, I will install a battery monitor and see what information it c comes up with
Old 04-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #492
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
On the wiki it says the Note can be used as a secondary monitor, but only in an upcoming Pro version. Is this still accurate?
I don't know, but I certainly hope so.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #493
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
the 'swarm'/flickering you are referring to I have seen before, and does display on rare occasions when I move the mouse, however it does not display when im reading pdf's at least to the naked eye, everything looks very still
And when you use Grayscale Update ("normal") mode instead of A2 ("fast") mode, e.g. through my modification of the original app, what happens - video effect anomaly wise and battery wise?

EDIT: in A2, because of the specific computation of its joint dithering, when you change a minimal part of the screen (e.g. mouse cursor position),_all_ of the pixels are recomputed and most dots of the display change.
In GU, if you move the mouse cursor (or any other displayed item etc.), only the relevant dots change.

Last edited by mdp; 04-04-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:38 AM   #494
inudaisho
inudaisho began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2 / Kobo glo HD
i will explain my idea "1bit-by-1bit mode".
2104x1560 is not full usage of Boox Max2 display but enough big (2104x1560 ) / (2200x1650) = 0.9
so we make a smaller window(2104x1560) and project display image to the smaller window.
it is useful to make the window size unfixed (1024x768, 1920x1080...).

is it possible?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180405_BooxMax2_1-by-1.png
Views:	234
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	163246  
inudaisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #495
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
And when you use Grayscale Update ("normal") mode instead of A2 ("fast") mode, e.g. through my modification of the original app, what happens - video effect anomaly wise and battery wise?

EDIT: in A2, because of the specific computation of its joint dithering, when you change a minimal part of the screen (e.g. mouse cursor position),_all_ of the pixels are recomputed and most dots of the display change.
In GU, if you move the mouse cursor (or any other displayed item etc.), only the relevant dots change.

ahh that makes sense, where do I find your 'modification' of the original app, I wasn't aware of its existence.