Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #466
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballballb View Post
Hi all, I am going to buy this machine for writing my thesis.
What I concern is the speed of the screen as a second monitor.
Is there anyone use it for writing in MS Words? Is the speed acceptable? Would you recommend it?
(sorry, I didn't read the previous posts)
I have the Onyx Boox Max Carta, connected to a Bluetooth keyboard writing works fine. But don't expect to do any major editing or file management (I'm assuming you keep each chapter as a separate file) on it. Maybe also look into the 10.1" Note, comes with a quad core CPU.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:31 AM   #467
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have the Onyx Boox Max Carta, connected to a Bluetooth keyboard writing works fine. But don't expect to do any major editing or file management (I'm assuming you keep each chapter as a separate file) on it. Maybe also look into the 10.1" Note, comes with a quad core CPU.
I think you make reference to a Android only solution - an Office Automation software for/on Android...
OP was focused on a desktop solution to be viewed on the tablet.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2018, 05:33 AM   #468
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
A2 is inadequate for normal use. A2 is for watching things move, not for reading screen content.
Do you mean it’s inadequate for serious text editing? (Like your coding session video.)

Here it is a foreign language, and unless I’m mistaken it is a2 mode...but I read the screen contents clearly enough:

https://youtu.be/pcUzGQQUlJA
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #469
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Do you mean it’s inadequate for serious text editing?
Of course if all you have is a snorkel full of water for a monocle, and you can't do without looking, you'll use that - but a bike is for 10km in agility and a car for 100km in comfort, even when some reason forces you to the odd choice.
Compare B/W and greyscale for reading text (and interface rendering etc.) - there is no discussion about what you are supposed to use. There is SIXTEEN* times more information in greyscale!
A2: move things around, prepare your environment, skim through a document, browse youtube.
You mention coding: your text is thoroughly nibbled by rats (in A2), you have no colour, and not even greyscale for a bit of syntax highlighting?
GU and A2 look very similar - at 3 meters distance. You are supposed to keep the tablet half an arm away!

*EDIT: it's actually eight. Well, the point remains.

Last edited by mdp; 03-29-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 PM   #470
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Of course if all you have is a snorkel full of water
for a monocle
Lol.

Quote:
Compare B/W and greyscale for reading text (and interface rendering etc.) - there is no discussion about what you are supposed to use.
That is true. But in this case, Onyx decided what you’re supposed to use, and if it’s so uncomfortable i don’t know why they did.

Quote:
You mention coding
In coding visibility has a higher importance than normal: if one character is seen incorrectly, you could create errors. In other applications, I don’t know if this asthetics matters so much. But you are the owner of this device, I am just enquiring. Thank you.

Quote:
You mention coding: your text is thoroughly nibbled by rats (in A2), you have no colour, and not even greyscale for a bit of syntax highlighting?
Yes, it’s certainly better for coding. Thanks for your mod.
Advert
Old 03-29-2018, 02:37 AM   #471
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
if it’s so uncomfortable i don’t know why they did
Probably just because it's the faster mode.

Quote:
Thanks for your mod.
You're welcome!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #472
inudaisho
inudaisho began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2 / Kobo glo HD
Recently I found my Max2's mini HDMI port is not broken and I appreciate your Monitor Mod.
very good! thank you!

Is it possible to add '1px-by-1px' mode?
My laptop can not set resolutions over "2104x1560". because Max2's EDID return "2104x1560" through HDMI port and Intel windows 10 driver of my laptop obey the limitation strictly. (My laptop have IntelHD graphic)
inudaisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #473
Staphoent
Connoisseur
Staphoent began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW2
can you help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post

USB connection during active Secondary Monitor mode is rather necessary, since in this mode the screen is kind of permanently refreshing thousands of dots and it discharges battery quite fast.
This is a very interesting response and I would like some advice. I am attempting to use a hdmi link monitor connected to my MacBook so I can read outside without having power running to the monitor. Is there any mode on the max 2 that will stop this permanent refreshing when I have a static pdf page displayed for reading?

Would the A2 mode on the dasung paperliek be permanently refreshing in the exact same way as the max 2? I seem to remember a few years ago I managed to connect a kindle to a vnc usb server, and the server only seemed to send information when something on the screen moved. Is there anyway to recreate this set up in the max 2 or Paperlike so as to severely reduce the battery consumption the same way dedicated ereaders must not have this permanent refreshing as their battery life seems to be much long?

Any help in this regard would be appreciated
Staphoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 AM   #474
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphoent View Post
Is there any mode on the max 2 that will stop this permanent refreshing when I have a static pdf page displayed for reading?
[...]
I managed to connect a kindle to a vnc usb server, and the server only seemed to send information when something on the screen moved
Bookstor's expression,
<<since in this mode the screen is kind of permanently refreshing thousands of dots>>,
is incorrect and reflects first experiences:
-- when I connect the Max2 (HDMI) to my main computer I also see swarming dots and pulsation in A2 or flashing circa #808080 in GU;
-- but when I connect it to an Intel NUC (portable desktop) the A2 is as still as it is meant to be - changes upon change -, there is no pulsation and I do not recall unduly rithmic flashing in GU.

It's a bug. We do not know which sources trigger it, because users have not posted (much) data. So for now, it's a bet.

The bug is raised to Onyx, they are informed.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #475
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by inudaisho View Post
Is it possible to add '1px-by-1px' mode?
My laptop can not set resolutions over "2104x1560"
Could you elaborate? I think we are all using that resolution (or less).
Old 04-03-2018, 04:32 AM   #476
Waiting4somethin
Addict

I suppose eink screens can’t do other lower “monitor resolutions”? I wonder if a quad core eink device using a resolution like 1200x800 would run faster.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:25 AM   #477
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
Bookstor's expression,
<<since in this mode the screen is kind of permanently refreshing thousands of dots>>,
-- when I connect the Max2 (HDMI) to my main computer I also see swarming dots and pulsation in A2 or flashing circa #808080 in GU;
-- but when I connect it to an Intel NUC (portable desktop) the A2 is as still as it is meant to be - changes upon change -, there is no pulsation and I do not recall unduly rithmic flashing in GU.

It's a bug. We do not know which sources trigger it, because users have not posted (much) data. So for now, it's a bet.

So essentially your stating that when you connect your book max to your portable desktop the battery consumption on the boox would be minimal (i.e you could use it without the usb plugged in for hours if you were just reading/no video)?

That is essentially what I want to accomplish with my MacBook, so would it be the case that the Dasung Paperlike at the moment would use much less power than the boox max?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #478
Staphoent
Connoisseur

Quote:
Bookstor's expression,

furthermore, surely the computer is still sending a screen update 33 (33hz is what my Mac reads for onyx max 2) times a second to the boox?

Did the usb onyx monitor apps work like this or did they only send an update when a pixel changed?

Any help will be appreciated
Old 04-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #479
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
to your portable desktop the battery consumption on the boox would be minimal
Would be as intended

Quote:
you could use it without the usb plugged in for hours if you were just reading/no video)
Most probably

Quote:
so would it be the case that the Dasung Paperlike at the moment would use much less power than the boox max?
Inconsequential
Old 04-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #480
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
furthermore, surely the computer is still sending a screen update 33 (33hz is what my Mac reads for onyx max 2) times a second to the boox?

Did the usb onyx monitor apps work like this or did they only send an update when a pixel changed?
The HDMI transmission may carry updates every period, and? What would you entail? Your concern is not clear.
The EPD changes its state on differentials only.