Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2022, 04:30 PM   #466
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage - Tolino Vision 4 HD - Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
On the next 4 screenshots,i'm using the following templates:
program:if ($$#words > 6000) then round(($$#words / 12000) - 1) else 0 fi
program: if ($$#words > 6000) then round($$#words / 12000) else 1 fi
Here, the results are very contradictory - some are OK, others are totally wrong. And I can't understand why.
I think I understood why. It looks like in the boolean condition #words is evaluated as a text string and the comparison is performed considering the alphabetic order! With this wrong interpretation you get for example "7">"6000"!
This is weird considering that #words is an integer!

try this instead:
Code:
program:if round($$#words / 12000) > 1 then round($$#words / 12000) - 1 else 0 fi
program:if round($$#words / 12000) > 1 then round($$#words / 12000) else 1 fi
Even though it is a little redundant (you divide and round twice in case the condition is returning true), this is forcing Calibre to manage it as an integer and... It works!
Does anybody know whether it is possible to force Calibre to consider it as an integer without performing an arithmetic operation? This would save computing time.

Last edited by CyberPaul; 05-11-2022 at 04:47 PM.
CyberPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:46 AM   #467
Svens
Enthusiast
Svens began at the beginning.

Device: Кіndlе5,NGL,PB650, KPW3,KPW4,KPW5, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post

try this instead:
Code:
program:if round($$#words / 12000) > 1 then round($$#words / 12000) - 1 else 0 fi
program:if round($$#words / 12000) > 1 then round($$#words / 12000) else 1 fi
Great! Thanks, it works!
Svens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 06:51 AM   #468
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
I tried to download an update direct to the kobo using its internal browser (still listed under the Beta features tab), and though I navigated to a site with the download, when I hit the download button, nothing happened.
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:14 AM   #469
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I tried to download an update direct to the kobo using its internal browser (still listed under the Beta features tab), and though I navigated to a site with the download, when I hit the download button, nothing happened.
That won't work.
1) Download to PC. (Mac, Linux or Windows)
2) Unpack file
3) Make sure Kobo charged more than 50%, on home screen and connect to USB.
4) Copy the files and subdirectory into .kobo on the ereader via USB. You may need to enable show hidden directories/folders.
5) Eject and wait for home screen before unplugging USB
6) Don't do anything till it's rebooted and on home screen again.
7) Power off and on as final check.
8) Check version in Settings.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #470
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That won't work.
1) Download to PC. (Mac, Linux or Windows)
2) Unpack file
3) Make sure Kobo charged more than 50%, on home screen and connect to USB.
4) Copy the files and subdirectory into .kobo on the ereader via USB. You may need to enable show hidden directories/folders.
5) Eject and wait for home screen before unplugging USB
6) Don't do anything till it's rebooted and on home screen again.
7) Power off and on as final check.
8) Check version in Settings.
I've never done step 8 after doing a firmware update. It's always worked.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2022, 09:08 PM   #471
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
The browser can only be used to download books. And then only books of formats the device recognises and the site must also identify them correctly.

For firmware updates, do a sync. The device will contact the Kobo servers and look for an update. If one is found for your device, it will be downloaded directly to the device. When that is finished, you should be prompted to install the update.

If an update is not found, it means that Kobo is not offering the update to your device. Kobo do not offer updates to everyone at once. There are initial restrictions based on the affiliate and location (as determined by you IP address). But, everyone should be getting it now. I am not sure of the exact number, but the update does need more than 100MB of free space on the device. The file being downloaded is close to 100MB in size and then it needs to be unpacked. I don't remember if the device silently skips the download if there isn't what it considers to be enough space, or if it tells you.

The update will also be skipped if the battery level is to low. But, in that case, it downloads the file and then checks the battery level and reports that it can't do the update.

If you have issues, with either of the above, then manually installing the as @Quoth suggests can be done. It doesn't have the space restriction other than needing enough space to put the files onto the device. And you do not have to unplug the device for the update to happen. It should happen when the eject is done.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:54 AM   #472
CyberPaul
Groupie
CyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheeseCyberPaul can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svens View Post
Great! Thanks, it works!
I improved the formulas. With below I got pretty much same estimate shown on kobo store.
Code:
program:floor($$#words / 12000)
program:ceiling($$#words / 11150)
Simpler and more elegant
With this approach lower and higher estimates start to diverge when the books are big, and this is ok. Same is happening on kobo store. Having always higher = lower + 1 does not make sense when number of words is significant and uncertainty on estimate is increased.
I also materialized these two attributes as custom columns so I don't need to transfer them onto the kobo device to see the estimates produced
Old 05-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #473
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
After a long time I side loaded a few books and ran into an issue with this version. Some background: I'm a native Hebrew speaker and I read books both in Hebrew and English. Before this version, author names and book titles in Hebrew didn't display correctly because of missing glyphs. Only after you open a Hebrew and force loading/using a font with Hebrew glyphs they were displayed correctly. You had to do that just once till the next restart, which rarely happened.
With this version, however, I need to do that forcing thing after every time I connect the device to my PC. and it's not enough to just open a book in Hebrew, I need to open the supplemental font menu.
This is annoying.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 PM   #474
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
I improved the formulas. With below I got pretty much same estimate shown on kobo store.
Code:
program:floor($$#words / 12000)
program:ceiling($$#words / 11150)
Simpler and more elegant
With this approach lower and higher estimates start to diverge when the books are big, and this is ok. Same is happening on kobo store. Having always higher = lower + 1 does not make sense when number of words is significant and uncertainty on estimate is increased.
I also materialized these two attributes as custom columns so I don't need to transfer them onto the kobo device to see the estimates produced
Thank you for this. This is a lot better than the minus one formula.
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #475
CyberPaul
Groupie

I'm happy you liked it
Old 05-16-2022, 07:40 AM   #476
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Polish language

Hi
After upgrade to this version I noticed something very new and suprising.
The interface of my device changed to my native language which is polish. I do have CurrentLocale and ExtraLocales both set to "pl".
Translation is not perefect but almost everything is nicely done. Major mistake is with "on" and "off" options in menu which are translated as "W dniu" ("on day" in english) and "Zniżki" (probably from something like "50% off price") while it should be "Włączone" ("turned on") and "Wyłączone" ("turned off"). The captions sometimes don't fit in the space intended for them and menu fonts don't have some polish characters so fallback font is used which looks ugly (but we can deal with this by uploading different fonts in place of Georgia and Avenir by a kobopatch)
There is no option for polish language in menu after upgrade (checked this on vanilla device) but setting ExtraLocales to pl in config file is enough to get Extra: pl and choosing it changes the language to polish. It can be of course changed back to any other officially supported language and changed again to polish.
It looks like the polish version is being prepared but is not fully tested yet and therefore unofficial and unavailable.
Have anybody else noticed something like that with their language not officialy supportded by Kobo?

Last edited by mietek81; 05-16-2022 at 07:42 AM.
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:43 AM   #477
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That's me finally sorted with the new words/pages/reading time stats.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #478
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mietek81 View Post
Translation is not perefect but almost everything is nicely done. Major mistake is with "on" and "off" options in menu which are translated as "W dniu" ("on day" in english) and "Zniżki" (probably from something like "50% off price") while it should be "Włączone" ("turned on") and "Wyłączone" ("turned off"). The captions sometimes don't fit in the space intended for them and menu fonts don't have some polish characters so fallback font is used which looks ugly (but we can deal with this by uploading different fonts in place of Georgia and Avenir by a kobopatch)
You can fix the translation (file trans_pl_PL.qm) yourself, it's pretty simple.
https://temp.s3.geek1011.net/kobo-re...anslations.zip
Quote:
else noticed something like that with their language not officialy supportded by Kobo?
Translations that appeared in firmware 4.32.19501:
cz (Czech)
pl (Polish)
ro (Romanian)

Last edited by Semwize; 05-16-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:39 AM   #479
mietek81
Connoisseur
mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mietek81 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo, H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
You can fix the translation (file trans_pl_PL.qm) yourself, it's pretty simple.
Opening this file in notepad++ gives some pretty unreadable gibberish.
So yeah, I do know that there were some tools for doing your own translation as in the past I was thinking about doing polish (but never had the time for that). But it would be of great help if you could point me to those tools or specific threads here on editing this file.
mietek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:54 AM   #480
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
you could point me to those tools or specific threads here on editing this file.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=261771
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release