Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #451
debra jo
debra jo began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
i rooted last night and all seems to be going well except:

google books will not open

i cant figure out how to change my wallpaper...have installed a couple of apps (aquarium and android wallpapers) but neither work.

and lastly...this might sound silly but i tried to save a pic from my facebook to use as wallpaper and have no clue how, or if, this can be done.

also, i used the nookdevs nook color rooting instructions 2.12.25 plus did the follow up. is this it? i read something earlier about ADB (?) or something like that needed.

thank you all for your help yesterday rooting....having fun so far.
debra jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #452
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Debra Jo, wrong thread but... ;-)

I'm glad you finally got it to work! What is your issue with Google Books exactly? With mine, I download the ePub version per the Google Books instructions, move it over (currently just using Adobe Digital Editions, though I'm going to try Calibre soon so I can get the covers) to my NC, and then open it in the File section. All my books have opened just fine.

For wallpaper, make sure your photos are in jpegs and are inside the Wallpaper file. Then either long press on the home screen (which may only work if you're using the native home screen, not a replacement) or go to Settings > Home > Set Wallpaper

As for Aquarium and the like I haven't used any of those without first using a home replacement app so not sure. What happens when you simply open one of those programs and go to the menu?

Lastly, if you don't see a menu in any of the apps you've downloaded, you must get Button Savior or SoftKeys.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #453
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyWI View Post
Remote Web Desktop: Nice app for wireless file transfers and several other features. I've only messed with file xfers. Free version limits you to 2 files and 10MB at a time. But works slick through a web browser on your PC. I tried this and Wifi File Explorer and this one has a nicer interface but costs more for the full version ($2.60 vs $0.99). I haven't tried either paid version but RWD seems like it would be nicer for multiple files transfers vs Wifi FE's requirement that you zip to one file then unzip on the NC.
For file transfers, another nice app is:

WebSharing -- Wireless web-based and WebDAV interface for file transfers. Full version is $2.99 (I own the full version)

Supports multiple file upload in the web browser, plus has WebDAV support. This is cool because once you launch Websharing (with WEBDAV enabled) you can configure your PC to see the Nook as a mapped drive -- making it compatible with most of your PC software and full drag and drop between windows, etc.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #454
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
LastPass for Dolphin Browser HD -- works with LastPass and allows you to auto-fill web passwords securely.

LastPass -- app for premium LastPass.com subscribers. Manage your web passwords securely. Also has a good security audit program online to make sure you aren't using duplicate passwords at important sites and rates the quality of your passwords. Here is the interface for android.
zartemis - is lastpass working for you? i noticed an issue with UUIDs. I have my lastpass set to only allow mobile devices that I approve to access it and problem is that every time I launch lastpass on my nook color it generates a new UUID which prevents lastpass from working until I approve it. If I disable that feature, everything works great but creates a security issue that I don't want to expose.

are you using it with no restrictions on mobile devices?
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #455
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
wma audiobook files

While looking at ebooks in my library.........I noticed that they have a wide selection of wma audio books (mp3's not so much).......of course I'd rather read..........but I'd like to try out audiobooks on my nook.........

Is there an app for wma files?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #456
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalex View Post
zartemis - is lastpass working for you? i noticed an issue with UUIDs. I have my lastpass set to only allow mobile devices that I approve to access it and problem is that every time I launch lastpass on my nook color it generates a new UUID which prevents lastpass from working until I approve it. If I disable that feature, everything works great but creates a security issue that I don't want to expose.

are you using it with no restrictions on mobile devices?
Correct, I don't use the mobile device restriction and am relying on my password for both mobile devices and web access. I assume you use yubikeys or other two factor authentication for web access -- I haven't set that up either.

You might mention it on the lastpass forums, I saw at least one other report of android uuid issues (different than yours).
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #457
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
While looking at ebooks in my library.........I noticed that they have a wide selection of wma audio books (mp3's not so much).......of course I'd rather read..........but I'd like to try out audiobooks on my nook.........

Is there an app for wma files?
The library rental books probably have DRM, so a general wma player won't help. Overdrive will need to add support in their app. If you have a source of unrestricted WMA files, you could do a search for wma apps at appbrain.com
Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #458
SammyWI
SammyWI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2, NookColor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
For file transfers, another nice app is:

WebSharing -- Wireless web-based and WebDAV interface for file transfers. Full version is $2.99 (I own the full version)

Supports multiple file upload in the web browser, plus has WebDAV support. This is cool because once you launch Websharing (with WEBDAV enabled) you can configure your PC to see the Nook as a mapped drive -- making it compatible with most of your PC software and full drag and drop between windows, etc.
I tried out the free version, very nice interface. I couldn't access the device memory, only the SD card. Any way to do this?
SammyWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #459
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I started out with the web-sharing apps, even paid for one, but as soon as I realized you can access the NC SDcard like you would any shared directory on your home network (via wireless), I was hooked. Dragging and dropping files, multiple files, folders, whatever ...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=891638

Note, this does not access the internal memory that I'm aware of.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #460
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
Question about downloaded app

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Here you go: http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/nytimes

Enjoy!

In order to go from article to article you swipe to the left with your finger (same concept as turning the pages of a newspaper).

Use the back arrow to go back to "Section" view.
OK, I think I got the download, but I can't find it. Where are downloaded apps stored on NookColor? Thx.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #461
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

That is pretty cool....no usb needed.....I've only go the free version, so it was 1 file at a time....that seems worth the couple bucks for the full version....

Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #462
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabour View Post
OK, I think I got the download, but I can't find it. Where are downloaded apps stored on NookColor? Thx.
That post you quoted is outdated. That was before we had access to the Android Market. Get the NY Times app from there. You want the one that says Android Tablet.

Edit: I'm being misunderstood. Get the app from the Market.

Last edited by SCION; 01-03-2011 at 10:25 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #463
The Joker
Addict

That might be even cooler than the one listed above......but is it safe? Seems a bit more difficult than just downloading it from the market......
How does it differ from the webshare listed above?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #464
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
That might be even cooler than the one listed above......but is it safe? Seems a bit more difficult than just downloading it from the market......
How does it differ from the webshare listed above?
Are you referring to me? I edited my post anyway. Get the app from the Market is what I was trying to say.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #465
The Joker
Addict

Actually I was trying understand the difference between the webshare on the market and the one Krypto posted above (safety)......And if you have any info about it.....even better.....I'm a faithful Scion follower......
Seems if I attempt the one Krypto references, I'll likely need your help.....haven't got into apk files and things of the sort......

But....I think you're referring to the NY times app, to download from the market.....