Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 08:00 AM   #436
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The NG3's warmer light has spoiled me, I fear. I find my other e-readers just a little less pleasant to use after this.
Me too! Going back to the old lighted screens is like walking into a room with too many old-fashioned fluorescent lights.

I've been experimenting with side-loading epubs onto the NG3. Had success moving small batches of books at a time. Wouldn't advise moving more than a dozen at once.

Then, when the PC tells you that it's safe to remove the NOOK, don't believe it. This NOOK is a ponderous beast; be patient. My screensaver is set to a five-minute delay; I wait until the screen saver appears before unplugging the cable. My hunch is that the device is re-organizing ALL the side-loaded files at that time, not just the new ones. It might be that the more books you have in the side-loaded partition, the longer you should wait before unplugging.

In the end I wonder if the practical limit to side-loading on this device won't be the stability of the data, rather than the total amount of memory available.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #437
toki08
toki08 began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3, nook glowlight, PRS-T1, PRS-350
warm light

I was on the fence about getting the Glowlight 3. I have a perfectly good first generation Glowlight, so I thought, "why bother?" And besides, why couldn't they shrink the bezel? That bezel is so much bigger than others. Then I got to thinking about it. The bezel makes sense to me. It's the perfect place to hold the thing. I don't really like how I have to hold the old one. And the night light really intrigued me. So I took the plunge.

I love it! It's comfortable to hold and that warm light makes a huge difference! In a way, I'm kinda sad that it ruined all other front lit screens for me.

In any case, I'm happy with the new device. Thinking about it makes me want to go read.
toki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #438
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
So after today's update my NG3 has a .metadata_never_index file. That wasn't there before. What's it for?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:04 PM   #439
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toki08 View Post
I was on the fence about getting the Glowlight 3. I have a perfectly good first generation Glowlight, so I thought, "why bother?" And besides, why couldn't they shrink the bezel? That bezel is so much bigger than others. Then I got to thinking about it. The bezel makes sense to me. It's the perfect place to hold the thing. I don't really like how I have to hold the old one. And the night light really intrigued me.
Yeah. I don't get people knocking it for the bezel. I like the bezel on the Glowlight 3 more than I like the one on my Aura. We expect new tech to look sleek and sexy. But there's also the usability factor.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #440
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah. I don't get people knocking it for the bezel. I like the bezel on the Glowlight 3 more than I like the one on my Aura. We expect new tech to look sleek and sexy. But there's also the usability factor.

I will never understand the way people think about stuff like bezels. Many have complained elsewhere about them. But they don't realize they are necessary. They want their e-reader to look like a screen edge phone or tablet. No thanks. Said it before this Nook is extremely comfortable to hold. Sadly many just can't look past the bezel size.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #441
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I will never understand the way people think about stuff like bezels. Many have complained elsewhere about them. But they don't realize they are necessary. They want their e-reader to look like a screen edge phone or tablet. No thanks. Said it before this Nook is extremely comfortable to hold. Sadly many just can't look past the bezel size.
I'd have to disagree. Few if any people who have used an ereader for any length of time want no bezels. What they do want is bezels that are wide enough to hold the device comfortably but are not wide enough to serve lunch on. Comparing the Glowlight 3 to Amazon and Kobo devices, we need to move up to a 6.8" screen to find a device that is larger than a Glowlight 3 (and that is a massive 3mm taller and 2mm wider for the Aura H2O v2, the Oasis v2 is 20mm shorter but 14 mm wider with its asymmetric bezel making it hard to compare).

I can't speak to the advantage of the rounded corners since I tend to hold my Aura One with one hand which is not touching either of the corners with my fingers under the back and my thumb swiping for page changes. Other people who have different sized hands are likely to differ with me.

My major objection to the Glowlight 3 is the same one that I have held against Nook devices for a long time. The partitioned storage which allocates a massive 950MB on the GL3 for sideloaded content compared to any other ereader I've used where all the storage is available for either purchased or sideloaded content is not, IMNSHO, acceptable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #442
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'd have to disagree. Few if any people who have used an ereader for any length of time want no bezels. What they do want is bezels that are wide enough to hold the device comfortably but are not wide enough to serve lunch on. ...
I'll have to disagree with you. I find the thin bezels uncomfortable to hold. I'm always trying to find a position for my thumb that's not cramped or touching the screen. This problem is alleviated, to some extent, when using a good case but, with my NST and NST w/GL I don't have this problem at all.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #443
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
I'd have to disagree. Few if any people who have used an ereader for any length of time want no bezels. What they do want is bezels that are wide enough to hold the device comfortably but are not wide enough to serve lunch on. Comparing the Glowlight 3 to Amazon and Kobo devices, we need to move up to a 6.8" screen to find a device that is larger than a Glowlight 3 (and that is a massive 3mm taller and 2mm wider for the Aura H2O v2, the Oasis v2 is 20mm shorter but 14 mm wider with its asymmetric bezel making it hard to compare).

I can't speak to the advantage of the rounded corners since I tend to hold my Aura One with one hand which is not touching either of the corners with my fingers under the back and my thumb swiping for page changes. Other people who have different sized hands are likely to differ with me.

My major objection to the Glowlight 3 is the same one that I have held against Nook devices for a long time. The partitioned storage which allocates a massive 950MB on the GL3 for sideloaded content compared to any other ereader I've used where all the storage is available for either purchased or sideloaded content is not, IMNSHO, acceptable.
Yeah I understand what you are saying. I was skeptical of the size at first. But the dang thing was a delight to hold.lol
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 PM   #444
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think narrow bezels are fine if the bezel is raised. If it's flush you have to be too careful to avoid the screen and then wider bezels are better.

The vertical bezels on my Paperwhite are pretty narrow but they're just fine because the bezel is raised. On my Voyage, with the same size bezels and a flush screen they're a bit narrow and I have to be careful holding it.

However, the new Nook's bezels look overly wide to me. I'm not sure that would matter to me much while reading, which is what's important, but when I look at the pictures it just seems clumsy. I'd like to see one before buying it but I don't know if I'll get that chance. I haven't decided yet whether to buy it, mostly because of that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:17 AM   #445
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
However, the new Nook's bezels look overly wide to me. I'm not sure that would matter to me much while reading, which is what's important, but when I look at the pictures it just seems clumsy. I'd like to see one before buying it but I don't know if I'll get that chance. I haven't decided yet whether to buy it, mostly because of that.
I like the feel and "heft" of the NST and I liked the feel of the GlowLight 3 when I tested it. (Originally it was mostly because of the bezel and the page turn buttons (its similarity to the NST) that I was interested in the GlowLight -- now it's also the screen.) But I think everyone has their own preferences. Choice is good.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #446
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
I know I'm weird, but I always liked the look of the Simple Touch. So, of course, I like how this one looks too. Didn't like the white bodies of the other Glowlights.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #447
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the Glowlight Plus and I'm not fond of the white but that isn't really very important to me. I notice it when I pick it up but not really when I'm reading with it.

I just charged one of my original Kobo Aura's today and played around with it a few minutes. It's not my favorite ereader by any means although I like it well enough. But it's shape is perfect. If I could put this case on my Paperwhite or Voyage that would be perfect.

Barry

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #448
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll say that when I read my Aura naked, the corner is uncomfortable. After a while, it would dig into my palm. I like my Aura, but my old Nook STwG was definitely more comfortable to hold.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:55 PM   #449
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Barry, when you see the Glowlight 3 in person, it looks much better. In person, the bezel makes sense. But the software is the same as the latest software on the Glowlight Plus, including the grayed out dictionary. On the upside, the raised home button is back.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #450
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Last night I opened the Glowlight 3 to set it up and sideload a bunch of books to it. The sideloading went very quickly for me. I had none of the difficulties I've heard others mention.

I didn't play with it too much though. I sideloaded, updated the software and then powered it off and put it away for Christmas.