Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #31
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Maybe we need a further study to break down the different category of ereader owners
-received as gift and never use
-casual readers
-never sees sunlight human encyclopedia
etc...
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #32
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm guessing that MobileRead users don't reflect most e-reader owners.
Based on the number of folks not fitting the study demographics, it would appear that most ereader owners do not frequent MobileRead.

That makes sense though. I would bet that the vast majority of American ereader owners bought a Kindle and buy content straight from Amazon on the fly. Not to mention, in order to afford an early Kindle, one would have needed a higher amount of disposable income.

These numbers will shift as Kindle prices come down and cheaper alternatives flood the market. That will lead to more average Joe's, such as myself, entering the market and skew those results. Hooray for skewing!!! Or something.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a Sony Reader PRS-505 and I have an iPhone 3G. Yes, I am not an eReader owner. I never did reinstall eReader when I upgraded my computer. Nor did I install eReader on the laptop when the hard drive had to be replaced. So as an American citizen, I am not an eReader owner. That's because my 505 and my iPhone are not eReader enabled.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Maybe we need a further study to break down the different category of ereader owners
-received as gift and never use
-casual readers
-never sees sunlight human encyclopedia
etc...
So has anyone received eReader as a gift? Was it on a memory stick/card, CD/DVD, floppy?

eReader is NOT hardware. It's software and the data (eBooks) to go with it.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
[/B]

The only thing is that these people who want to follow me have no twitter photo. So I just let them follow me since I have nothing to say on titter. And if I did, it would be that twitter is awful.
Advert
Old 06-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #36
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverJ View Post
Based on the number of folks not fitting the study demographics, it would appear that most ereader owners do not frequent MobileRead.

That makes sense though. I would bet that the vast majority of American ereader owners bought a Kindle and buy content straight from Amazon on the fly. Not to mention, in order to afford an early Kindle, one would have needed a higher amount of disposable income.

These numbers will shift as Kindle prices come down and cheaper alternatives flood the market. That will lead to more average Joe's, such as myself, entering the market and skew those results. Hooray for skewing!!! Or something.
I'm all for skewing. I have tried to do my share by gifting Kindles. I'll gift more e-readers as prices fall.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #37
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

a $49 Kindle would make a good gift

Once again, Seth Godin makes a good point.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #38
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
a $49 Kindle would make a good gift

Once again, Seth Godin makes a good point.
Well...depends who gets stuck on the hook for the $200 worth of books/subscriptions/book club/ subsidy. If you are giving them that as well, then it is a REALLY good gift-but no different than giving them a Kindle at the regular price.

If they are stuck with having to deal with the subscription payments...it might be more like a white elephant
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #39
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, I'm younger than the demographic, don't visit Twitter and only visit LinkedIn if I'm job searching. Of course, remember these are averages, so it's possible that The Ideal Ereader doesn't actually exist

@JSWolf: eReader may be software, but I own ereader (hardware)
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #40
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Well...depends who gets stuck on the hook for the $200 worth of books/subscriptions/book club/ subsidy. If you are giving them that as well, then it is a REALLY good gift-but no different than giving them a Kindle at the regular price.

If they are stuck with having to deal with the subscription payments...it might be more like a white elephant
True, having to deal with a subscription would be annoying. A 1 or 2 year subscription that ends if not renewed would work as a gift. I'd do that. Heck, I was about to get my dad a new laptop.

But I don't think that was entirely his main point. He just wants to see it at $49, period. The possible book club/subscription/buy10 get free Kindle/etc were just ideas he threw out that could also be implemented to increase revenue. They don't have to happen, but the $49 Kindle does because it will give Amazon the biggest market advantage.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #41
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The age range of this study doesn't shock me at all. The older generation "Ahhh in my day a candybar cost a nickle." yeah so an ereader is just not going to be their thing.
Like several others on here I remember when Hershey bars cost a nickel (and were a bit bigger than the standard bar today) and I meet or exceed all the other demographics. I don't own an eReader device (bought a Sony PRS-600 a few weeks ago, which I just returned because VERY poor battery life and didn't replace because of the glare). I DO, however, read a LOT of ebooks on my HP iPaq 210 by using a large font size. My software readers of choice are Freda (for free/liberated ePubs) and eReader (for those books I purchased in the past 10+ years from Peanut Press and its successors for reading on my Palm III and its successors). I also read on my netbook using ePub for Firefox, eReader for PC and Adobe Acrobat.

As for eReaders not being my thing ... you're right! I've become much more discriminating in my tastes. Until eReaders allow me to read in bright light, dim light and everything in between without serious glare visible on the screen, I'll stick to my LCD and LED-based devices. Might not be able to read in bright sun, but here in Hawaii who wants to?

Last edited by frquixote; 06-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #42
kdittyr
uber noob
kdittyr began at the beginning.

Device: nook, iPhone
Quote:
They also found that we were more like to have college degrees, earn over $100,000/year, and be between the ages of 35-44.
I fit squarely in that as I am 36 and I have a college degree... as for the money, I am doing well, but not that well just yet.
kdittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #43
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hmmm,

I don't goto any of those sites, am a college junior but no graduate, and the money? Sheesh, I'd be lucky to get close to a hundred grand. I'm deep in the plaktow on that one.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote