Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #31
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
Yes, but very much more personal :-)
Here comes an idea.. for Scribble(!): to Add a "send as email" button.

Even with some Xmas cards packaged. We should tell iRex to think about it.

Last edited by arivero; 11-18-2006 at 06:50 PM.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:57 AM   #32
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Well just for giggles I tried the USB keyboard.

I modprobe'd it, plugged in the USB keyboard, checked /proc/bus/usb/devices and hello, it was hooked up!

Tried typing, nothing.

Went back to my ssh terminal and realized, the iLiad was hung tight.

So round one is a loser on the wired keyboard.

On the bluetooth front I'm finally out of the kernel layer and trying to get the bluez user space stuff up.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2006, 08:06 AM   #33
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
I have compilled the dillo web browser for the iliad, but I'm short of time and didn't even tested it.

What I've not done is putting the appropiate calls to liberipc/liberdm. I would like to test if it works prior to start making modifications...

Just wait a couple of weeks and I hope to have had time to look at it (or at least try it).
Let me know if you want any help in this... If there is a web browser that load https urls, and handles refreshes a bit better then you would be able to use web mail (ie, SquirrelMail, etc)

Get one with javascript and we can start looking at Gmail... If you have a network connection to send email, you may as well do it properly...

(And some would say that a web browser is the key to an o/s)
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #34
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
start looking at Gmail... If you have a network connection to send email, you may as well do it properly...
I think "properly" means IMAPs/POPs/SMTP and not some funky dhtml-webmail-client. Just syncing your IMAP mailboxes and dropping WLAN afterwards will give you a much better battery life than having WLAN up during reading and writing your email.
And: using a Bluetooth-Keyboard might even prolong your battery life compared to using the tablet.
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:16 PM   #35
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
I think "properly" means IMAPs/POPs/SMTP and not some funky dhtml-webmail-client. Just syncing your IMAP mailboxes and dropping WLAN afterwards will give you a much better battery life than having WLAN up during reading and writing your email.
And: using a Bluetooth-Keyboard might even prolong your battery life compared to using the tablet.
The major feature to a proper email client is the ability to work offline. I've got 1GB of mailboxes on my iLiad and I can sync new emails in and outgoing emails out to 5 email accounts in a short online session.

From the specs I've seen the BT dongle uses less power than the Wacom tablet... and a proper keyboard will allow for quicker generation of email.
Advert
Old 11-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #36
k2r
Zealot

In an ideal world I would just press the sync-button before I leave my house and the iLiad would download my newspaper, my RSS-feeds and sync my IMAP-Mailboxes.
I'm very confident that exactly this is possible easily with the iLiad and your sylpheed-claws port.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:37 AM   #37
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
BTW, i just got an NSLU2, which uses the same processortype i think. and here are lots of packages for it. They might work out of the box. http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:43 AM   #38
kapoira
Connoisseur
kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kapoira has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: i62HD + T68
hey, yes i know this i a litle off-topic,but well
i have a FSG www.openfsg.com this is a router that can have a WLAN(i have the version before that only LANS) that run on linux, if you like the iliad because run on it, you will like to connect to inet through another machine running linux...(you will need a modem still)
and yes it's used the ipkg modified of the nslug... if you wanna ask feel free to post, sorry of the Offtopic.
kapoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:48 AM   #39
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
In an ideal world I would just press the sync-button before I leave my house and the iLiad would download my newspaper, my RSS-feeds and sync my IMAP-Mailboxes.
I'm very confident that exactly this is possible easily with the iLiad and your sylpheed-claws port.
Very doable now -- at least the rss feeds. I spent some time poking my Iliad with a big stick to see how to do this. Though I'm a bit concerned at running RSS downloads as root. Has anyone tried setting up a separate user to avoid potential problems...?

I think one of the main differences is that I see the device as primarily as a display rather doing extended processing of its own, although it will be interested in seeing how text entry is with slypheed... And a keyboard. (Hopefully)
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:05 PM   #40
k2r
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Very doable now
Yes, my iLiad now sucks www.taz.de/digiabo (digital subscription of a German newspaper), htmldoc converted to a PDF by my server (better readable) and recursively www.tagesschau.de/mobil and some misc stuff. if I press the sync button.
I'm thinking about an elegant way to package this.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:16 AM   #41
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Scotty, do you feel like posting the email client here? I would like to try it.

k2r, same question to you regarding how you did that trick. I don't know which pdfs to download yet, but I guess I will find some
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:32 PM   #42
k0091
k0091 began at the beginning.

Hi Scotty,

I know you're busy with many stuffs. But I think this email application is the one I long for most except the iliad OS v4.0 which will fix all the power management problem (or will it?).

KM
k0091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:25 PM   #43
scotty1024
Banned

It is pretty cool but it really really really needs an external keyboard. You may have noticed how the keyboard doesn't move much once it pops up. It pops up in a very unfortunate place for Sylpheed Claws.

I think I've figured out how to overcome the next obstacle in the BlueZ kernel death march. But I'm still thinking I won't have a working keyboard, I can't figure out if I have the kernel source configured wrong, have the wrong patch level compared to iREx or if iRex has simply just removed input support from the kernel the supply... and as you may have noticed, they ain't talkin'.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:48 AM   #44
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
I can post the kernel config file if that helps?
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #45
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthijs
I can post the kernel config file if that helps?
Please, do so! (I'd also appreaciate the diff from oe 2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2 kernel: 02-diff-2.4.19-rmk7-pxa2-irex1.patch or whatever is named).

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate all the effort you're putting in the forums to ease the life of the "early developers".

BTW, I fully understand that the APIs are still evolving. I don't find nothing wrong with chainging APIs/ABIs in the firmware updates. It's just a matter of having the new ones when they change ;-) .

Last edited by Antartica; 12-14-2006 at 07:17 AM. Reason: fix the kernel patch name O:-)
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote