Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #31
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post

BTW, I just found out today that Oberon Design (http://oberondesign.com/) is planning to announce its line of iPad covers tomorrow. I have one for my Kindle 2, and find it very elegant looking and of high quality, but also fairly stiff in price. In addition, it weighs just about the same as the Kindle, so it noticeably changes the reading comfort for me. I'll probably look those over and try to pull the trigger before I go crazy trying to choose (I guess that whole, "Men don't like to shop" is more than just a stereotype in my case ). Take care.
Those covers are already out http://www.oberondesign.com/iPad.php
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #32
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Chiron,

Thanks for the update! They'd said on their Facebook page that they were hoping to have it out by Friday, so they must have kicked it into overdrive. Now I can stay up late to add a new entrant into the decision mix .
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #33
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
look nice, but $130? ouch. I'd have to actually see one in person first. considering its almost 1/5 the cost of my iPad!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #34
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
look nice, but $130? ouch. I'd have to actually see one in person first. considering its almost 1/5 the cost of my iPad!
scottjl,

Yeah, that's a bit too rich for my blood. Plus, at 15 oz., it would bring the weight of the iPad to just under 2.5 lbs., which, as Tina Fey might say, is probably a deal breaker for me. Looks like Sena, here I come.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #35
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Plus, at 15 oz., it would bring the weight of the iPad to just under 2.5 lbs....
That brings up something I've found funny: Some iPad haters will knock its weight, but think nothing of using an Oberon and a booklight, which add a bunch of weight to their devices.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #36
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
$130 doesn't seem bad, if I knew I'd be getting a few years use of it. What I'm afraid of though is picking up an iPad and an expensive case, and then next year Apple releases "iPad 2" with bells and whistles like a camera and expandable memory... and I'll be sitting there with my fingers crossed that it's the same exact size and shape so my cover will still be useful lol

I spent 85 bucks on a phone case, which seems a lot as well, but I have almost 2 years of daily grind on the thing, so the "use" value was well worth it.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 AM   #37
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
That brings up something I've found funny: Some iPad haters will knock its weight, but think nothing of using an Oberon and a booklight, which add a bunch of weight to their devices.
True, but most people seem fearful of using either device without a cover, so the iPad's already significant weight is simply going to get heavier. And plenty of people read with a table lamp rather than a book light.

That said, I can't imagine using an Oberon with an iPad. I gave my K2 version away due to the weight; the iPad version would be insane. I'm also deeply underwhelmed at their methods for making it into an easel or for improving the angle for typing.

Their covers are beautiful to look at, but for me, I found with the Kindle covers that function was way more important than looks. My MacAlly Bookstand will be here tomorrow, and while it's nowhere near as pretty as the Oberon lineup, it should weigh a tenth as much and actually function in both typing and viewing positions. If it doesn't, I'll almost certainly end up with the Noreve, same as I did with my Kindle.

I do find I'm pretty comfortable going coverless with the iPad though so far. The Bookstand is intended more for certain tasks than for 24/7 use.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:50 AM   #38
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
True, but most people seem fearful of using either device without a cover, so the iPad's already significant weight is simply going to get heavier. ...

I do find I'm pretty comfortable going coverless with the iPad though so far. The Bookstand is intended more for certain tasks than for 24/7 use.
Yes, most people seem to like covers on devices. I tend to avoid 'em, get silicone skins for better grip, but minimal weight. I prefer lightweight sleeves for on the go. I like tablets and e-readers because they're flat; I don't want to add a flap if I can avoid it.

I also don't worry much about scratches and such that don't affect use. I might end up selling my iPad to upgrade later, though, so I figure I'll try to avoid dinging it up.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-21-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #39
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

long term use is certainly a concern too. I bought this iPad knowing well I would upgrade to next years model, so spending $130 for a case that might not make it to the next model for me just is silly. apple's case is thin and light enough, protects from scratches and has an easel function. but to those who buy and enjoy their Oberon case, I'm glad it works out for your needs. they certainly look like no other case on the market and are a lot better looking than an generic silicone case.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #40
neous
neous began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I saw some older threads, but want to see whether there's more feedback now that time has passed.

Can you provide a link to your case?
How are you liking it?
Can you charge, dock, etc., with your case on?
Is there another case you'd get instead now?
I just picked up the incase convertible http://www.goincase.com/products/det...jacket-cl57512
I'm loving it for I no longer have to hold the iPad while reading
I can't dock but naturally I can charge consequently I returned the iPad dock I'd purchased online to be applied towards this case
For the cost of this case I hope I don't look into getting another case
neous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #41
scottjl
Reader of Books

not a case per-se. but i'd like to see someone come up with a frame that can hold the ipad above my head when i'm lying on my back in bed. maybe a swivel arm of some sort. might try and come up with something at home..
Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #42
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
not a case per-se. but i'd like to see someone come up with a frame that can hold the ipad above my head when i'm lying on my back in bed. maybe a swivel arm of some sort. might try and come up with something at home..
Like this?

http://www.bookholder.com/

Says an iPad adapter is available.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #43
scottjl
Reader of Books

yep.. just like that. thanks!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #44
anonymousadrian
anonymousadrian began at the beginning.

has any one tried this case?

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=130679333624843
anonymousadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #45
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
I got a Lounge-Pod a couple months ago and love it. It doesn't tilt enough for a flat tablet, but with a case that props it up the iPad should work nicely with it.

I ordered mine through through Amazon.com
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote