Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
For me, half the fun is in the "shopping" for good freebies and classics. Reading them is great fun too, of course. I'd be a shopaholic if I wasn't broke: too many cats to feed!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #32
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
And I don't think Mr Woodhouse is a gentleman - he's rich and obnoxious in my book
You may not consider him to be a gentleman, but he is a Gentleman - a technical term of the time for someone who has a non-earned income, as opposed to tradesmen or servants or labourers. Having been written a couple of centuries ago, some words now have different meanings.

Emma is certainly supposed to be a bit obnoxious - spoiled and certain of her own opinions - at the start. Hopefully you'll like her more at the end.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
(can only download one ebook for every two ebooks read - thanks for the idea pdurrant!)
It's not original to me. But I can't now remember who I got it from - it's somewhere in the Mobileread archive, but I can't find it.

I got the idea from Enraptured:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...072#post722072

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-21-2010 at 03:46 AM. Reason: found the original mention!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 AM   #34
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
I'm not going to be downloading anything for a little while with my new rule (can only download one ebook for every two ebooks read - thanks for the idea pdurrant!), and I have a few books on smashwords up next. But when I do, I'm going for some Wilkie Collins. Any suggestions on which one I should read first?
I think you should read either The Moonstone or The Woman In White. Both are quite excellent and the two most most widely read of his books. I think you will enjoy either on immensely BTW, The Woman In White is considered by many to be the first mystery book ever written.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #35
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
I think you should read either The Moonstone or The Woman In White. Both are quite excellent and the two most most widely read of his books. I think you will enjoy either on immensely BTW, The Woman In White is considered by many to be the first mystery book ever written.
I was thinking one of the two, just not sure which. Sounds like I'll start with the Woman in White then
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #36
ac4lt
Connoisseur
ac4lt began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
You mean when mr Elton declares his love for Emma rather than Harriet? Yeah, I just read that this morning. It's not the lack of action that bothers me, I rather like the change of pace, but the characters really annoy me. And I don't think Mr Woodhouse is a gentleman - he's rich and obnoxious in my book
Though I enjoyed reading Austen's work, I felt much the same way about the characters. Not so much in Emma, but Mansfield Park and Persuasion drove me somewhat crazy.

On the other hand, Lady Susan was a riot!
ac4lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #37
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
I'm not going to be downloading anything for a little while with my new rule...
Sounds like a good idea, but my will power isn't that good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
I think you should read either The Moonstone or The Woman In White....
+1 for The Moonstone, I enjoyed it a lot. The pace is a little slower and the description more expansive than you get with "modern" books.

Right now, I'm getting a big kick out of Bulldog Drummond. Just started the last one ("Bulldog Drummond at Bay") which starts off fast paced, with action, mystery and a hint of romance--good read!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote