Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #31
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
This is from the irex-blog:
Quote:
The IREX DR800SG is optimized for book reader with a simplified interface and advanced functionality as with the IREX DR1000S, like switching between multiple documents is not possible.
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #32
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm guessing that's the "executive" pen and is sold as an option. Generally, the pen that comes with the iRex devices is pretty slim, and fits into a slot in the back.
Hmmm, As far as I can see in the pictures posted earlier (more specifically this one) there is no slot for a pen at the back ...
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #33
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
Straying off topic?

Hello All,

I think we have drifted off topic here; my responses were meant to encourage those considering an early buy of iRex’s new DR8000SG to compare its features, and iRex’s promises, with the same features and promises of the earlier offerings. My intent is not to discourage anyone from buying (though I recommend against it, pending user feedback), but to help them make an informed decision. As Faenad noted earlier, there are a good many threads, on various forums, regarding iRex’s products, and those who haven’t been following might be quite disappointed after purchasing--especially those who might rely on these devices for professional purposes. I have been embarrassed by my DR1000S’ performance (“You paid how much for this?”); for me, the embarrassment itself is my only loss--your milage may vary.

Shaggy,

My Hanlin uses lithium (not poly) batteries, and it holds a charge for weeks of intermittent use (several books, the thousands of page turns that Astak/Hanlin promises). My DR will not hold a useable charge for 4 days of non-use. To me, as a user, whether the drain while ‘off’ is caused by the cap sense circuitry or some ‘bug’ is irrelevant--My DR spends more time being charged than being used. An on/off switch at the battery would eliminate battery drain while ‘off,’ and no matter what causes it, the cause comes from iRex, and, IMHO, a battery switch (at least) should have been included by the factory. The DR’s (slight) unreliability keeps me from using it as much as I would like to.

For me, the DR’s low use time is, in fact, a significant problem, one that causes me to keep it plugged in while using it (but only when I can), and I think this need for constant recharging has played a role in the broken USB sockets that some users have suffered; that’s QUITE a significant problem, it seems to me. The DR’s low use time and battery-drain-while-off issues are facts, it is only the causes and contributing factors that are theoretical, and the bugs you suggest only add to the list of theories, not shorten it. That the cap sense switch circuitry draws power when off is a fact; whether it is a significant factor (and I will define ‘significant’ as a noticeable difference in use time) can only be determined by testing, and I will begin testing tonight.

My only assumption is that iRex has made several engineering choices that have kept the DR1000S from being the dependable high quality device that it might have been, and that it almost is. Whether my theories or yours are correct about the battery life, or it is something we have not imagined, the problem comes from iRex, and I have little confidence that iRex will address it.

It is these and other design issues (that I’ve mentioned elsewhere) that prompt me to recommend others not to rush to buy iRex’s new offering.

Kent Walters
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #34
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Nice but too small ^^.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #35
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Walters View Post
To me, as a user, whether the drain while ‘off’ is caused by the cap sense circuitry or some ‘bug’ is irrelevant
No doubt there's a problem. You're right, in that sense it's not relevant what is causing it. However, the discussion was specifically about the design choice of the buttons. In that context, the cause is definitely relevant.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #36
Kent Walters
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
... the discussion was specifically about the design choice of the buttons. In that context, the cause is definitely relevant.
I’m not sure what ‘cause’ you mean; the design choice--to use cap sense switches--adds absolutely no benifit or advantage for either the user or the device. To use the cap sense switch to turn the device ‘on’ requires the circuitry to be always powered up--even while the device is ‘off’--with it’s clock running. Add to that accidental page turns and jumps, from just getting too near a switch, and the other distractions they cause. Even if this is not a (or the) ‘significant’ cause of the DR1000S’ battery/runtime problems, it still seems an absolutely poor design choice to me, and I suspect that iRex’s marketing dept, rather than engineering, made the choice.

On my ‘experimental’ (broken screen) DR I have noticed that, when connecting the battery, the DR behaves exactly the same as when power is applied thru USB, and after being unplugged for a week, the battery was still fully charged; a power switch on the battery would have eliminated power drain while off, whether the drain was caused by the cap sense circuitry, a firmware bug or anything else.

I notice that the DR800 does have a power switch; I hope that it is a Hard switch, and doesn’t rely on any ‘always on’ circuitry to function. The 800’s flip switch, also, may operate thru interrupt (using power only when used) or polling (using power whenever the device is turned ‘on’). To have anything running (except the tablet, when used) except during screen updates defeats one of the main advantages of the eInk technology on a portable device.

There’s no reason that iRex couldn’t have done much better on the 1000, and I hope (both for iRex and future buyers) that they made better design choices this time. If they haven’t, this big new deal will kill the company.

Meanwhile, I’m installing a battery door and switch on my good 1000S.

Kent Walters

Last edited by Kent Walters; 09-30-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #37
overdriver
overdriver began at the beginning.

Device: none
I was so excited about this DR800 but.. after I read everything about it. now,I will wait for the first review of actual product.

Specially, the power drain problem can be a deal breaker for me. If it doesn't last more than few days I won't buy it no matter how cheap or good it is.. for reading only device of course.
I love my iPod touch 2G but its short battery problem always bothers me. If I have to buy an external battery to charge another portable device...forget it.

anyway.., thanks for all the good info!
overdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #38
csv
csv began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
[...]

Meanwhile, I’m installing a battery door and switch on my good 1000S.
So, you finally managed to open up the DR w/o any damage? Are there any pictures available?
csv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #39
Kent Walters
Connoisseur

CSV,

We are definately off-topic now; this thread is for those considering buying the new DR800. I will post an answer to your questions on maandag’s Inside the iRex DR1000s thread, here:

Kent Walters
Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #40
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriver View Post
I was so excited about this DR800 but.. after I read everything about it. now,I will wait for the first review of actual product.
Always a good idea before buying any new product, IMO.

Quote:
Specially, the power drain problem can be a deal breaker for me.
FYI, the "power drain problem" is in regards to the DR1000. Nobody has any idea what the battery life of the DR800 is yet. We won't know that until we start seeing reviews of the actual product (see above).
Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #41
Kent Walters
Connoisseur

Clarifications: DR1000 vs DR800

Shaggy,

Yes, Yes!

All,

My comments here re: the DR1000S were to give a ''Heads Up" about iRex's marketing claims and design choices. I truly hope that the DR800 is all that iRex presents it to be, but I'm skeptical, and advise waiting. AKAIK, there are no DR800 users to give reviews.

The DR1000S does show some engineering genius, and what shows most clearly, to me, is that there was no reason that it could not have been as impressive as anything from Apple or any other company. They simply made some bad choices, and compounded that by keeping us, their customers, in the dark, and strung us along with unkept promises.

I'll be waiting and hoping, and my advice is to do that.

Kent Walters

Edit: It is a good sign that the DR800 has both a battery door and an 'on/off' switch. Seems they are listening, even if they don't say so.

KW

Last edited by Kent Walters; 10-02-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 AM   #42
dlovely
Enthusiast
dlovely began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
I’m not sure what ‘cause’ you mean; the design choice--to use cap sense switches--adds absolutely no benifit or advantage for either the user or the device.
I disagree... For me the capacitive buttons give me a "click-free" experience and is one of the reasons I gladly returned the click-happy DX. I cannot personally concentrate with all the noise and prefer the silent capacitive buttons. I do agree though that the battery life is terrible at best and they chose the wrong size for the form factor.
dlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #43
Kent Walters
Connoisseur

Cost/Benifit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovely View Post
I disagree... For me the capacitive buttons give me a "click-free" experience and is one of the reasons I gladly returned the click-happy DX. I cannot personally concentrate with all the noise and prefer the silent capacitive buttons. I do agree though that the battery life is terrible at best and they chose the wrong size for the form factor.
I do not hear the clicks on my EZReader (Hanlin V3), I feel them; that provides positive feedback, for me, as I don’t have to wonder, even briefly, if my action has been registered. The DR offers no immediate feedback, and this has caused me to re-enter a ‘click,’ causing more annoying distractions. I don’t mean to suggest that your personal preference is wrong--that is a subjective matter (another user might prefer a trackball)--but from a design/engineering perspective, the costs, both in distractions and power consumption, far outweigh the benifits.

Kent Walters

Last edited by Kent Walters; 10-07-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #44
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
the costs, both in distractions and power consumption, far outweigh the benifits.
Obviously, others may have a different opinion.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #45
Kent Walters
Connoisseur

Again, that is subjective

Yes, but again, that is subjective; I'm pretty sure most Users would prefer longer use-time, with fewer distractions.

Still, this thread is aimed at those who are considering buying the upcoming DR800, which appears not to use these switches, anyway. (If so, that's a good move on iRex's part, IMHO, and you might ask yourself why iRex didn't use cap sense switches on the new model.) My point, in this thread, is to advise caution to prospective buyers regarding iRex's design and marketing practices, and I haven't seen anything yet that suggests anyone should rush out to buy.

Kent Walters

Tags
dr800sg, irex, wireless