Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #31
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
so all the ladies will now start reading their liseuses whilst wearing liseuses ....
It seems the evening is prime time for liseuses. The liseuse will have time for reading their liseuse when work and chores have been done, and as it gets dark and cools several other liseuses provide warmth, light and a place to sit at.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:14 AM   #32
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And what is wrong with ereader (as short from electronic reader)?
Nothing wrong with it at all. Even though I never use it here I still like e-folio as it implies an electronic way to carry documents. Most likely I will continue to use ereader or reader I just don't get any implied meaning from liseuse and I know people around me would certainly not understand what I was saying.

The one time I enjoyed not understanding french when it was spoken was when I was dating a young woman from Ecuador. I always knew what mood she was in when that happened.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #33
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I'm all for it - so long as there will be on the Wiki page one of those cool pronunciunanators so we can learn how to pronunciananate liseuseuseuse.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:58 AM   #34
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I'm all for it - so long as there will be on the Wiki page one of those cool pronunciunanators so we can learn how to pronunciananate liseuseuseuse.
Yep, I too am worried that people won't know how to pronounce it - I read is as 'liz - use' is that right?

I'm reluctant to abandon my beloved 'ereader' as the word of choice - people in the UK know what I'm talking about when I say that, I'd have to explain what a liseuse is.

Also, the Wikipedia page says:
"been adopted in english as well by members of MobileRead Forums, an online community dedicated to ebooks and ebook readers."
Shouldn't that read:
"...dedicated to ebooks and liseuses." ??

Last edited by Sparrow; 09-09-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #35
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
My dictionary lists liseuse in IPA as lizøz (eu being read like German ö and z being in the middle of a s and the z of zest).

(on the other hand, here we could have all too many people mauling the eu... and reading it like a closed e *shudders* then again they'd maul the read part of reader anyway...)
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #36
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
Nothing wrong with it at all. Even though I never use it here I still like e-folio as it implies an electronic way to carry documents. Most likely I will continue to use ereader or reader I just don't get any implied meaning from liseuse and I know people around me would certainly not understand what I was saying.
ah, "e-folio" ! actually i like that one as well. you can see in this thread (which is where "liseuse" was first mentioned here, by the way...) that in post 27 i proposed that as well, but somehow it never took off...

Quote:
The one time I enjoyed not understanding french when it was spoken was when I was dating a young woman from Ecuador. I always knew what mood she was in when that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
spéciale dédicace vivaldirules : http://www.mediadico.com/dictionnair.../LISEUSE/parle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
My dictionary lists liseuse in IPA as lizøz (eu being read like German ö and z being in the middle of a s and the z of zest).
yep, that's right. for those not sure how to pronounce the german ö, it's like the vowel sound in the english words "her", "fur", etc.

Quote:
(on the other hand, here we could have all too many people mauling the eu... and reading it like a closed e *shudders* then again they'd maul the read part of reader anyway...)
oh i know. you should hear the way french people pronounce adobe's pdf-reading app : "adobe raïdeur".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #37
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Well, I'm doing my part....Queen Z. Does not France have a language board? Maybe the word can get submitted to them....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post

I've no idea what a closed e is.... That's a problem with phonetics. I never know how to read (or rather speak) it...

And ereader I know how to pronounce and write. And it sounds like a real world, while liseuse sounds made up.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #39
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
ah, "e-folio" ! actually i like that one as well. you can see in this thread (which is where "liseuse" was first mentioned here, by the way...) that in post 27 i proposed that as well, but somehow it never took off...

spéciale dédicace vivaldirules : http://www.mediadico.com/dictionnair.../LISEUSE/parle

yep, that's right. for those not sure how to pronounce the german ö, it's like the vowel sound in the english words "her", "fur", etc.

oh i know. you should hear the way french people pronounce adobe's pdf-reading app : "adobe raïdeur".
Oh god... why did I get an image of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouesseu right then and there
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #40
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
And ereader I know how to pronounce and write. And it sounds like a real world, while liseuse sounds made up.
ironic, since in fact the inverse is true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Oh god... why did I get an image of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouesseu right then and there
anything reminding you of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau can only be A Good Thing.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #41
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

anything reminding you of Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau can only be A Good Thing.
Of course it does.... And now I got an image of the French Taunter from Holy Grail as well...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #42
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
i "just" call 'it' a book ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #43
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Of course it does.... And now I got an image of the French Taunter from Holy Grail as well...
"call it "liseuse", or i shall taunt you a second time !!"
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #44
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
Spoilsport!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #45
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
What, lisuese sounds like a real word and ereader sounds made up?

I meant made up like: just punching a few keys on the keyboard kind of made up...

Quote:
That too. In a normal conversation, I always say I'm reading such and such book. Only when they ask if they can borrow the book (or any reference to a physical presence of the book) do I mention I read electronically.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote