Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 PM   #31
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Is saying "steal Bill the Smith's car, parked on street X, the key is in the ignition" also an example of protected free speech?

And I recognize that BillSmith is a troll. Furthermore, it clear that Patricia, igorsk and others already understand the key issue because they have mentioned that Mobileread is a privately owned community. However, I have run across many people that don't understand freedom of speech and the first amendment to the constitution in the United States. As background, for those reading this thread, here is the amendment:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Specifically, you will notice that freedom of speech is in regard to government action. The government can't restrict or control what you can say. However private censorship happens all the time. Let's say you work in my restaurant -- I can require you to speak positively of my restaurant as a condition of your employment. If you tell everyone that my food is bad you can be fired and barred from my restaurant.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #32
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill the smith View Post
I love the way that the first response of Americans is to censor.
Just FYI, I am an Italian citizen.

MR's moderators have the right to set the terms of use for the forum. They are doing their best to ensure the forum doesn't get shut down.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #33
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
as well as in Canada, where the Mobile Read servers are located.
The MobileRead IP address that I log in to (67.205.70.12) is located in Switzerland and owned by ALEXANDER TURCIC.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Considering this thread will get deleted shortly, I provide this image to answer your question.

No, he's not a troll. A troll is someone trying to hit on someone on the net. he's not trying to do that. So no, he's not a troll. A weasel sure.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #35
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, he's not a troll.
Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #36
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Commenting to several different things since I'm late to the party (as usual)...

First, Jon, where the hell did you get that definition of troll?!? Trawling maybe (in some twisted convoluted way), but not trolling...

emellaich, too true that most of the people that cite the First Amendment don't seem to understand that it specifically applies to an act of Congress (despite the first 5 words of it being "Congress shall make no law..."; but maybe they didn't get that far into it when reading it).

Finally, is anyone not the least bit surprised that bill the smith (who won't be missed at all) apparently didn't comprehend (nor could he even find) the very rules that he agreed to when he joined the forums?

Ugh, my tolerance for idiots is definitely waning as I get older....
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #37
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
This is a privately owned forum, not a democracy. You have to follow the rules or leave.
Is this not also the case in a democracy, where you have to follow the rules set by the majority? Regardless, I agree the original poster is acting foolishly.

Quote:
No, he's not a troll. A troll is someone trying to hit on someone on the net. he's not trying to do that. So no, he's not a troll. A weasel sure.
No, a troll is someone who makes posts of content and style which s/he hopes will fool other members into believing him/her to be serious and in doing so provoke them to respond seriously, becoming irritated, etc... all the while not necessarily holding to any of the beliefs stated in the post. So if I, say, joined Stormfront and pretended to be a black friendly white nationalists to see how many people believed me and how many would get their panties in a bunch reading my posts and responding and flaming me, I would be trolling that forum. A successful troll is one who people can't tell is trolling, generating a lot of responses and drama.

Or, to more succinctly, here is what happens when two trolls meet each other:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica....rolling101.gif

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 08-15-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #38
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The MobileRead IP address that I log in to (67.205.70.12) is located in Switzerland and owned by ALEXANDER TURCIC.
You didn't read far enough. mobileread.com is a domain name owned by Alexander Turcic whose address is in Switzerland. The servers are located in Canada. See the information at WHOIS -- http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...mobileread.com
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #39
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
You didn't read far enough. mobileread.com is a domain name owned by Alexander Turcic whose address is in Switzerland. The servers are located in Canada. See the information at WHOIS -- http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...mobileread.com
Thank you Elsi! You are right, I did not dig deep enough.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #40
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
Or, to more succinctly, here is what happens when two trolls meet each other:

http://images.encyclopediadramatica....rolling101.gif
ROTFLMAO
Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #41
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
It occurs to me that Jon may very well have just trolled us with his ridiculously off-base definition of a troll. Then again, so much of what he posts is so inane that I'm really not sure...
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #42
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
So as far as the *topic* of the thread goes, you can actually get unlimited free ebooks, legally, from Google Books and the Sony Library.

At least, I quantify one million as unlimited. You may be a faster reader than I am.

EDIT: Remove insult, insert information.

Last edited by khalleron; 08-15-2009 at 12:23 PM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #43
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
It occurs to me that Jon may very well have just trolled us with his ridiculously off-base definition of a troll. Then again, so much of what he posts is so inane that I'm really not sure...
Jon's definition is the only one I've ever run across, and I've been on the 'Net since 1993. Your definition is the one that has me scratching my head.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #44
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
...damn, you are may right. This is the problem with trolls, the whole point is that you are not supposed to be able to tell if they are trolling.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 08-15-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #45
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Jon's definition is the only one I've ever run across, and I've been on the 'Net since 1993. Your definition is the one that has me scratching my head.

Trolling was invented long before 1993, so it is no wonder such a newcomer does not understand the true meaning of trolling.

Wikipedia's definition is :
Quote:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response
The full definition and history:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29