Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-12-2023, 05:35 AM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I had the right name but the wrong url

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 05:48 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is like the time one person asked for a change in the way search worked and that broke search big time. This is two people asking for a fix we don't need and it's broken calibre big time.

I've gone back to 6.19.1 because of this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2023, 01:23 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1a View Post
Hello, I tried the Plugin today by using it on similar ebooks and got the error meaasge:
AttributeError: 'TextDiffDialog' object has no attribute 'diff'

I'm using Calibre 6.20, Plugin 1.2.1 on Win 11.
Another problem due to 6.20's new locking.
Old 06-12-2023, 01:26 PM   #34
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another problem due to 6.20's new locking.
are you sure about that? The error points to a missing attribute, not locked files...
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:31 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
are you sure about that? The error points to a missing attribute, not locked files...
I thought it was. It's not. My mistake.
Advert
Old 06-13-2023, 08:02 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Still a problem. But because the eBook wasn't deleted, I've started a new thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...75#post4331075

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-13-2023 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:06 AM   #37
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Calibre 6.21 and still a problem.

I've edited the eBook. Saved the eBook and closed the editor. Deleted the original_epub file. Went to the metadata editor and edited the metadata. And I'm still getting an error.
[...]
Is your library in some synced storage? IIRC you have said in the past that you keep your library in Dropbox.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:11 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Is your library in some synced storage? IIRC you have said in the past that you keep your library in Dropbox.
I never use cloud storage or any sort of synced storage for my calibre libraries.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:00 AM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I never use cloud storage or any sort of synced storage for my calibre libraries.
But you do use a network drive.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 03:18 PM   #40
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
But you do use a network drive.
It's ok, JSWolf knows better than the FAQ (or Kovid).
Just ask him.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:05 PM   #41
OldYamaha
OldYamaha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung s10
6.21 is Deleting or not updating title changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It sounds like there were permission problems on the files. Hard to say since the OP didnt post the actual error message.
These started last night and are now affecting my 2nd windows 10/calibre 6.21.

Here are my errors and codes:
I tried to change the title name for a book (added another word to the title "The"
Error # 1
<ERROR: permission denied
<Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?(No it is not, freshly opened book, has not been opened this morning after a fresh reboot in windows 10).>

copy of error

<<Locked file: C:\Users\Harry\Documents\Calibre Library\Diane Capri\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 95, in _open_file
PermissionError: [WinError 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

PermissionError: [WinError 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)'

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "calibre\gui2\metadata\single.py", line 617, in apply_changes
File "calibre\gui2\metadata\basic_widgets.py", line 241, in commit
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 934, in func
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 85, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1508, in set_field
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1522, in update_path
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1875, in update_path
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 225, in copy_tree
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 120, in __enter__
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 107, in _open_file
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 111, in _open_file
PermissionError: [Errno 13] File is open in another program: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)'>>

Then I click OK to exit, xcancel this error and I get this:
<you will lose all unsaved changes. Are you sure? so I click YES.>
Then I get this:

<<ERROR: Unhandled error
!Failed to read book data from calibre library. Click "Show detailss" for more information> I click show details and copied this:
<calibre, version 6.20.0
ERROR: Unhandled error: Failed to read book data from calibre library. Click "Show details" for more information

File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1574, in copy_cover_to
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)\\cover.jpg'

File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1579, in copy_cover_to
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)\\cover.jpg'

File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 643, in current_changed
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 620, in get_book_display_info
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 815, in cover
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 455, in cover
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1028, in cover
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1063, in copy_cover_to
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1582, in copy_cover_to
Exception: Failed to open 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)\\cover.jpg' with error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)\\cover.jpg'>>

I then click OK

It creaded the new folder for the title change, but the folder is empty, and the old folder has the files that were there. the Calibre program shows the updated file name, in this case "01a Hunt for Jack Reacher-Deep Cover Jack" and will let me double click on the title in calibre to open thei file, but the file in the file folder is the old file name. And when I try to delete the entry in calibre, I get this error:

<ERROR: Permission denied
<Could not access 07 Hunt for jack reacher-deep-Diane Capri.epub. Is it being used by another program? Click "Show details" for more information. (I clicked show details and copied the error information)

calibre, version 6.20.0
ERROR: Permission denied: Could not access 07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep - Diane Capri.epub. Is it being used by another program? Click "Show details" for more information.

<<Traceback (most recent call last):
PermissionError: [WinError 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep - Diane Capri.epub'

PermissionError: [WinError 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep - Diane Capri.epub'

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "calibre\gui2\actions\delete.py", line 459, in do_library_delete
File "calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 466, in delete_books_by_id
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 2082, in remove_books
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 2148, in remove_books
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 2041, in move_book_to_trash
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 225, in copy_tree
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 118, in __enter__
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 107, in _open_file
File "calibre\utils\copy_files.py", line 111, in _open_file
PermissionError: [Errno 13] File is open in another program: 'C:\\Users\\Harry\\Documents\\Calibre Library\\Diane Capri\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep Cov (1429)\\07 Hunt for Jack Reacher - Deep - Diane Capri.epub'>>

Now the only way to recover is to close the Calibre program, then delete the folder and files, manually restart the calibre program then delete the book.

So then I tried to clean up the Library using Library Maintenance, this did not help, has the same issue.

So then I tried to "Move" my library to the C:/ drive, out of my User folders, this did not work.

I ran Malwarebytes without finding anything, this did not do anything.

Now ALL OF A SUDDEN, BOTH PC's with Windows 10 will not let me edit ANYTHING using Calibre.

It was working ok until I upgraded to 6.21, then this started.
I uninstalled 6.21 then install 6.20, to the exact same reults as listed above.
I have a second PC that has 2 seperate operating systems, Windows 10 and Zorin Linux. They also Have 6.21 installed but DO NOT have this issue.

Could my "Calibre Library folder" be corrupted?

I also have a new folder in "My Documents" folder called .Calibre with 2 CALIBRE_DATA files 1 is 1 MB and 1 is 96,000 KB. I've never seen this type of folder, or these Data files before.
OldYamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:12 PM   #42
OldYamaha
OldYamaha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung s10
Quote:
That's still dunhill.

So two people have a problem that's not really a problem and now we all have a problem. That's why I want this change backed-off. It's going to cause more of a problem with then without. Windows has never had a locking problem with calibre that wasn't user-created.
Well I have it too, and it did not start until I installed 6.21 last night.
OldYamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYamaha View Post
Well I have it too, and it did not start until I installed 6.21 last night.
Is OneDrive syncing your Documents folder in the background?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:39 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYamaha View Post
These started last night and are now affecting my 2nd windows 10/calibre 6.21.
If you go back and look at your errors, you will see that it shows calibre 6.20. That's where the error first appeared. You aren't running 6.21.

[code]<<ERROR: Unhandled error
!Failed to read book data from calibre library. Click "Show detailss" for more information> I click show details and copied this:
<calibre, version 6.20.0
ERROR: Unhandled error: Failed to read book data from calibre library. Click "Show details" for more information[/quote]

See the bold code in the above quote.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:39 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Is OneDrive syncing your Documents folder in the background?
@OldYamaha is running Calibre 6.20. It says so in the error reports.