Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-12-2023, 11:49 PM   #31
rumplestiltskin
Connoisseur
rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rumplestiltskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FireHD8, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
Can confirm the issue is with 6.12 and is resolved when reverting to 6.11. My PC is running Win10 Home 22H2 fully updated. Display scaling is 100%. I'll leave it here until I upgrade to Win11 (but I'll check my other PC running Win11 with 6.12 later this evening and report back).
Thanks to all for the dialog.
Just checked and, indeed, my LG Gram running Win11 (updated per M$) and Calibre v6.12 does NOT have any of the font issues in the Viewer (which, in Win10, displayed in an ePub in the Viewer and in the Viewer Preferences screen overlay).

Just to clarify things, Kovid; Calibre 6.12 is using a new version of Qt which Win11 is now also using (and Win10 does not)?

Thank you
rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:07 AM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
Just to clarify things, Kovid; Calibre 6.12 is using a new version of Qt which Win11 is now also using (and Win10 does not)?
Totally incorrect. The Windows 11 install uses the same QT version as the Windows 10 install. The issues with QT tend to revolve around the video drivers. IMNSHO, QT's quality assurance has been tossed by the wayside. Sometimes, updating video drivers has helped, other times, success has been found in downgrading video drivers.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2023, 11:39 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre uses the same version of Qt on all platforms/installs. In calibre 6.12 that version of Qt was increased from 6.3 to 6.4.2. This issue seems to affect only some Win10 users. I suggest such users stick with calibre 6.11 until they are in a position to update windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:54 PM   #34
miss_p1nky
Enthusiast
miss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enough

Device: Moon+ Reader Pro
Hi, is this fixed in 6.16?
miss_p1nky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 03:04 AM   #35
miss_p1nky
Enthusiast
miss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enoughmiss_p1nky will become famous soon enough

Hello, is there a fix for this bug now? Thanks.
Advert
Old 09-18-2023, 04:21 AM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no there isnt
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:40 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_p1nky View Post
Hello, I've just updated to Calibre 6.12 and now all books' fonts and images looks low-res or 'broken' (don't know the proper term). Attached are some screenshots.

https://puu.sh/Jyp3O/5757d0b90c.png

https://puu.sh/Jyp3U/3ee6cb81c9.png

https://puu.sh/Jyp3Z/fd5c7da07e.png

https://puu.sh/Jyp45/f182154e86.png
In the future, would you please not use this push and attach your images so they don't expire?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-18-2023 at 06:45 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:46 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't see the viewer looking low-res on Windows 11.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:44 AM   #39
miss_p1nky
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the future, would you please not use this push and attach your images so they don't expire?
Apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't see the viewer looking low-res on Windows 11.
Your computer needs to be in a certain setting, it seems but I'm not alone as you can see in the thread, several other people experiences this.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:19 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Your computer needs to be in a certain setting, it seems but I'm not alone as you can see in the thread, several other people experiences this.
I do have the following system variable set.

Code:
QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING=0
Old 09-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Hello, is there a fix for this bug now? Thanks.
Adjusting the viewer's width slightly fixed it for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 11:31 AM   #42
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348475
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:29 AM   #43
miss_p1nky
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Adjusting the viewer's width slightly fixed it for me.
Every single time? Yes it works. You don't even have to adjust the width. Just move the window a bit, it'd clear up to normal but I would like to have a more permanent solution rather than have to tinker with the Viewer window every single time I need to open a book.
Old 09-19-2023, 08:47 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Every single time? Yes it works. You don't even have to adjust the width. Just move the window a bit, it'd clear up to normal but I would like to have a more permanent solution rather than have to tinker with the Viewer window every single time I need to open a book.
have you tried adding the environment variable I posted a few messages ago?
Old 09-19-2023, 09:04 AM   #45
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
It's a Qt glitch, I think Kovid can't provide a workaround for that.

Now and then I get that too, and just recently i had to fiddle with Windows scaling settings again in order to get rid of this issue.

In the thread I referenced above there are some pointers on what to look into:

- disable Qt DPI scaling: you can use the file alternative - QT_disable_DPI_scaling.cmd in the zip

- also see this, from @DNSB - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...97&postcount=5

alternatively, if you don't want to to set your Windows scaling to an integer kind (100%), I find this tool useful, as it enables a different kind of scaling from Windows 8.1, and provides more precise control over custom scaling:

https://windows10-dpi-fix.xpexplorer.com/

What works for me currently on a 1920 x 1080 display is

- 103% scaling
- High dpi settings set as in screenshot below
- QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING=0 in env vars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2023-09-19, 10_02_52.png
Views:	48
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	203871  
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote