Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2021, 05:22 PM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Good luck with that, as the power controls for BT & Wi-Fi are currently tied together in the kernel (for hardware reasons, at a quick glance: it's the same chip).

(c.f., `_ntx_wifi_bt_power_ctrl` @ arch/arm/mach-sunxi/sunxi_ntx_io.c )
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #32
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Does this affect KOReader as well? I just checked for an update and I see that it still asked if I wanted to turn WiFI on, so is it safe to assume that staying in KOReader prevents this behavior?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Good luck with that, as the power controls for BT & Wi-Fi are currently tied together in the kernel (for hardware reasons, at a quick glance: it's the same chip).

Chipwise, that is what I expected. And powerwise, it makes sense. But, connectingwise, they are independent. I can turn off WiFi so it doesn't sync and have Bluetooth on for playback. Or disable Bluetooth but let WiFi connect so I can look something up on Wikipedia while reading.

I have more concern about Bluetooth being active when I don't need it than WiFi. The WiFi is always initialised by the device and sleeps between activity. And I understand when it will be in use. Bluetooth seems to be scanning all the time and looking for devices and announcing itself to other devices. The Kobo devices might not be doing this. Maybe they are only doing this when I bring up the Bluetooth connection dialog, but, at this point, I don't know enough to be sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:34 PM   #34
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Chipwise, that is what I expected. And powerwise, it makes sense. But, connectingwise, they are independent. I can turn off WiFi so it doesn't sync and have Bluetooth on for playback. Or disable Bluetooth but let WiFi connect so I can look something up on Wikipedia while reading.

How do you do this? On my Sage, simply opening either setting page turns BOTH on after a couple of seconds.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:37 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the Sage,the WiFi and Bluetooth can both be turned off yes?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #36
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the Sage,the WiFi and Bluetooth can both be turned off yes?
Yes. But they apparently turn on by themselves when you look at their settings...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #37
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Darn. That means it'll have to be a NickelHook mod so we can make Nickel think WiFi is off.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:33 PM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
How do you do this? On my Sage, simply opening either setting page turns BOTH on after a couple of seconds.
By not paying enough attention to what is happening

I always have WiFi on, so I was mainly watching the Bluetooth. And I'm not sure I tried with WiFi off.

What I can see is:
  • Visit Bluetooth settings and turn it off.
  • Then visit WiFi sttings and turn if off.
  • If I visit WiFi settings again, it does not turn on. This is how it always has been.
  • If I visit Bluetooth settings, it turns on after a few seconds.
  • If I then go to the WiFi settings, it is on.
  • If I turn off WiFi and go back to Bluetooth, Bluetooth is on. Returning to WiFi, it is still off.

From all that, it appears you can turn off either setting independently. But, when you turn on Bluetooth, it also turns on WiFi. If you turn on WiFi while Bluetooth is off, it does not turn on Bluetooth.

With the fact that Bluetooth and WiFi are on a common chip, I can understand this. It means it might not be possible to turn of the power used by the other function. But, it is apparently possible to stop the actual use of it, so the other function should not be forced on. The justification might be that WiFi is needed when playing purchased audiobooks to check for something. But, that still should be optional. What happens when there is no WiFi available?
Old 11-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #39
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I haven't actually looked into how nickel juggles with that, FWIW .

And to answer the KOReader question, yeah, we call that very function when we toggle wifi, as we kinda need wifi power .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #40
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
By not paying enough attention to what is happening

I always have WiFi on, so I was mainly watching the Bluetooth. And I'm not sure I tried with WiFi off.

What I can see is:
  • Visit Bluetooth settings and turn it off.
  • Then visit WiFi sttings and turn if off.
  • If I visit WiFi settings again, it does not turn on. This is how it always has been.
  • If I visit Bluetooth settings, it turns on after a few seconds.
  • If I then go to the WiFi settings, it is on.
  • If I turn off WiFi and go back to Bluetooth, Bluetooth is on. Returning to WiFi, it is still off.

From all that, it appears you can turn off either setting independently. But, when you turn on Bluetooth, it also turns on WiFi. If you turn on WiFi while Bluetooth is off, it does not turn on Bluetooth.

With the fact that Bluetooth and WiFi are on a common chip, I can understand this. It means it might not be possible to turn of the power used by the other function. But, it is apparently possible to stop the actual use of it, so the other function should not be forced on. The justification might be that WiFi is needed when playing purchased audiobooks to check for something. But, that still should be optional. What happens when there is no WiFi available?
If it's anything like phone apps, chances are it might look for purchase verification but if there is no WiFi available it will ignore it. If they are somewhat aggressive about it then after X amount of time/uses without being able to verify they would insist on you connecting to use it. But I seriously doubt this. They don't do it for normal books and what's the point of a lower power portable device if it requires a constant connection (but doesn't have 3G).

Also, it would HAVE to be a very quick check. Cheap devices have BT and WiFi share a chip AND antenna. This means using both will dramatically drop WiFi speeds and possibly provide choppy BT audio. A great example was the Huawei Medipad M5. If you were using bluetooth headphones (which was kind of a must since it has no headphone jack) then you couldn't reliably stream video since the WiFi was too slow for it.

I'm guessing these devices would suffer similarly if anyone tried to do something like that. For example, playing an audiobook while using the experimental browser (do they still have this?).

On a side note... I bought my Elipsa directly from Kobo in Canada... should I have gotten this update already? Cause whenever I check for updates from settings or do a sync I get nothing and am still on 4.28...
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightyume View Post
If it's anything like phone apps, chances are it might look for purchase verification but if there is no WiFi available it will ignore it. If they are somewhat aggressive about it then after X amount of time/uses without being able to verify they would insist on you connecting to use it. But I seriously doubt this. They don't do it for normal books and what's the point of a lower power portable device if it requires a constant connection (but doesn't have 3G).
Firstly, I didn't think through what I said about the connecting when starting to play the audiobook. And, I have done some other experimenting. And from that I think it is just a side-effect of turning the Bluetooth on. It is possible that enabling one always enables the other so they reflect that in the UI.

It isn't necessary to have the WiFi actually connect when listening to a book. When you open a purchased book, either an ebook or an audiobook, the device does try to get the latest status in case you have been listening/reading elsewhere. But, if it can't connect, then it doesn't stop you. If WiFi is off or not available, you continue from where you were up to on that device. Actually deleting all my save WiFi services had no effect on whether the book would play or not.
Quote:
Also, it would HAVE to be a very quick check. Cheap devices have BT and WiFi share a chip AND antenna. This means using both will dramatically drop WiFi speeds and possibly provide choppy BT audio. A great example was the Huawei Medipad M5. If you were using bluetooth headphones (which was kind of a must since it has no headphone jack) then you couldn't reliably stream video since the WiFi was too slow for it.

I'm guessing these devices would suffer similarly if anyone tried to do something like that. For example, playing an audiobook while using the experimental browser (do they still have this?).
Audiobooks are not played in the background. If you leave the player, it stops. So while there is a check done, it probably doesn't interfere much.

I did do a test to remove 30 or so books, started a sync to downloading them again and then started the audioplayer. I didn't hear any issues with the playback.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #42
cpimentel
Enthusiast
cpimentel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Hi all Elipsa's users: any performance improvement, or note taking improvement noticed on this new firmware?

What about the bug of notes disappearing that happened in "My Deep Guide's Kobo Sage: In-Depth Review"? This is alarming.

I'm in Canada and didn't receive the update yet.
cpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #43
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
My Forma "appears" to be running a little quicker after the update. The only thing I've noticed so far that I don't like is the charging light no longer stays on after you plug the device into the charger.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #44
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtriever View Post
The only thing I've noticed so far that I don't like is the charging light no longer stays on after you plug the device into the charger.
This changes in settings: Indicator light while charging.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 11:42 AM   #45
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
This changes in settings: Indicator light while charging.
I checked the setting, and I had that option enabled. I unchecked the box and rechecked it, but the Charging light still comes on, blinks twice, and then goes out.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release