Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #31
banana22
banana22 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Hi, I have Avira and have sent the 4 detected files to them for analysis, hopefully they will not flag them anymore. I think it will take some time though : )
Old 01-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by banana22 View Post
Hi, I have Avira and have sent the 4 detected files to them for analysis, hopefully they will not flag them anymore. I think it will take some time though : )
If you insist on using Avira, then for now, disable it and use the AV that comes with Windows. You may find you don't want to go back to Avira.

But the best solution is to uninstall Avira and move to Windows Security (or Defender).
Advert
Old 01-23-2021, 05:37 PM   #33
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But do you disagree with me?
I use Windows Defender, but verify downloads against available hashes and send ones from unfamiliar sources through VirusTotal.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #34
banana22
banana22 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
If you insist on using Avira, then for now, disable it and use the AV that comes with Windows. You may find you don't want to go back to Avira.

But the best solution is to uninstall Avira and move to Windows Security (or Defender).
Hi JSWolf, I have no intention of disabling or uninstalling Avira, all AV programs have false positives, lets hope that's what these are. I've been using it for many years and it is very good.
I remember several years ago when hackers inserted code into Ccleaner installation file and was downloaded by many people from the legitimate website. I will wait to see what Avira say

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I use Windows Defender, but verify downloads against available hashes and send ones from unfamiliar sources through VirusTotal.
Hi ownedbycats , uploading the installation file to VT results in no detection by Avira, it is only after execution that 4 files are detected, thankfully these files are only detected by 2 well known AV vendors, which makes me think they are FP's , these are Avira and F-Secure,,
the latter uses Aviras signatures , so they are not independent detections

Last edited by banana22; 01-23-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi JSWolf, I have no intention of disabling or uninstalling Avira, all AV programs have false positives, lets hope that's what these are. I've been using it for many years and it is very good.
I remember several years ago when hackers inserted code into Ccleaner installation file and was downloaded by many people from the legitimate website. I will wait to see what Avira say
The rule is that if an AV finds a clean Calibre to be infected, then the AV in question i garbage and needs to be uninstalled forever. Avira is a very poor AV. Why would you want to keep using it when it thinks Calibre is infected? Give it up, Avira is not worth the hassle.

Quote:
Hi ownedbycats , uploading the installation file to VT results in no detection by Avira, it is only after execution that 4 files are detected, thankfully these files are only detected by 2 well known AV vendors, which makes me think they are FP's , these are Avira and F-Secure,,
the latter uses Aviras signatures , so they are not independent detections
The FP's are found by two of the worst AV out there.
Advert
Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM   #36
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi ownedbycats , uploading the installation file to VT results in no detection by Avira, it is only after execution that 4 files are detected
See Post #9.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #37
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
The FP's are found by two of the worst AV out there.
No, they are neither Norton or McAFee.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, they are neither Norton or McAFee.
But Avia and FSecure are just as lousy.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #39
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

It seems that the best free AVs right now are BitDefender and Kaspersky. I've not tried either of them myself, though.

Unfortunately, Avira's seem to gone down the same adware resource hog that both AVG and Avast did a few years ago.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:55 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That's what happens when Windows addon antivirus becomes unnecessary.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:36 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It seems that the best free AVs right now are BitDefender and Kaspersky. I've not tried either of them myself, though.

Unfortunately, Avira's seem to gone down the same adware resource hog that both AVG and Avast did a few years ago.
But why bother when Microsoft supply a good AV with Windows?
Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
I wonder, though, what change was made so at least two antiviruses are flagging it.

VirusTotal notes that calibre.exe does write to a file inside of the Windows folder (udhisapi.dll, universal plug & play), which may be seen as a red flag. But I think older versions did this too.

Executable compression, perhaps? Antiviruses also like to complain about that as they're often used by bad actors.
No version of calibre including the present one has ever touched any files in any windows system folder. In fact I dont even know what udhisapi.dll is. And grepping the calibre source ode for it shows no references whatsoever.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:05 AM   #43
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

You can see it here. Under "files written."
Old 01-24-2021, 12:12 AM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
You can see it here. Under "files written."
Yeah most likely whatever system they run it on has some DLL injected that they use for instrumentation and that DLL is doing the writing when triggered by some innocuous event like calibre querying the system for connected USB devices, and they assign it to the exe, that is about the level of competence I would expect from antivirus vendors.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:10 AM   #45
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you upload that calibre-64bit-5.10.1.msi to VT?

I just uploaded the calibre-64bit-5.10.1.msi I got from github this morning, and I got this from VT ==>> https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...c1797/behavior

Nothing written to Windows only user Local\Temp

Note - I didn't get the Microsoft Sysinternals Sysmon option (the one your link goes to), I only got the VirusTotal Jujubox option. I have no idea why.

The only malware I've had in a decade came with Piriform's CCleaner soon AFTER it was bought by Avast, VT didn't find it, MS Defender found it. And it wasn't a false alarm, the CEO of Avast published a mea-culpa - speculation was it was put there by a disgruntled Piriform exec who didn't get to keep their job.

BTW check out the Registry Keys opened (there's a down arrow expander) - 300 of the beggars

BR
Closed Thread