Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #31
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The last person I saw attempting to write a cheque at a grocery store was about 3 years back and that was an American tourist couple who had trouble understanding why Safeway would not accept their cheque. The clerk spent way too long trying to explain that Canada Safeway does not accept cheques from local residents never mind citizens of a foreign country trying to write a cheque on a foreign bank and she did not care if they had a Safeway cheque cashing card (I think that was the ID they tried to use).

It reminded me of the episodes of Border Security where Americans try to bring their handguns into Canada and have trouble accepting that the CBSA does not care if you have a concealed carry permit or that you need 2 handguns in the car to protect your wife and children, etc. Generally, most of the episodes involve people who seem to have trouble understanding that they are no longer in the USA and the rules are different.
Even in the US a concealed carry permit does not give you the right to carry a gun in every state. You are legally entitled to carry a concealed hand gun in your state. And if your state has a reciprocity agreement with other states you can legally carry one in those states. But, you must obey the laws and rules of that state which can be different than the laws in your state. No state has reciprocity agreements with all 49 of the other states. Some may surprise you. Georgia and Nevada do not have a reciprocity agreement. Nevada has the most liberal gun laws in the US but a resident of Georgia can not legally carry concealed in Nevada. People who believe they can carry guns into foreign countries are either stupid or...……………….lets just go with stupid.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
I should have emphasized that I'm considering flash drive delivery as an ALTERNATIVE option. People will still be able to buy my books via conventional methods. I just wondered if there might be a significant percentage who would want to do the flash drive thing - enough to warrant offering it as an option. Of course, I can always try it as an experiment.
If nothing else, it is going to be fun attempting to deliver a DRMed ebook on a flash drive.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #33
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
A long time ago, we lived in the frozen north of Marquette Michigan near the Air Force base there. We knew a young couple, a stupid young couple, who went into Canada via the crossing at Sault Ste. Marie with weed in their car. This was in 1978, and he was in the Air Force.

When told of the trouble they could have been in, they seemed surprised. We didn't take trips with them after that.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:54 PM   #34
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At the least he would have been court martialed.
Apache
Old 12-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Is that the cost to run the EV?

We have tiered rates where I live and I think it's around $0.22/KWh here. During summer with AC running (thermostat at ~78-80°F, just enough so we don't get heat stroke), our electric bill is $200-250 per month.
We have a City run Utility, ~12cents per KWh +fees. the City hall payment drop is just a little over 5mi round trip. I get ~5mi / KW (city speeds)

An, yes, our rate beats PG&E easily. 35Years here, and I just got my first window A/C (we had more 100 degree days last year, than the previous decade). Even running that, our electric (portion) bill was only $140 before taxes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
At the least he would have been court martialed.
Apache
We had a misguided Marine from our ship get caught by the local Istanbul police with/smoking weed. We left port with him AWOL (in jail, with no chance of release).
Everyone was warned about breaking Turkish law before we hit port.Some folk don't believe the rules apply to THEM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #37
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
This couple also held stuff for other single airmen that lived on the base. Some of the guys kept weed in their cars and drove on base all the time. We were never stopped, but it was well known that they could search your cars at any time before letting you drive through the gates of the base. This was a nuclear base...

College protestors were hosed down with fire hoses, in February, when they wanted on the base to protest. Average temps were probably around 20 degrees F that time of year. They were stupid college students.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
This couple also held stuff for other single airmen that lived on the base. Some of the guys kept weed in their cars and drove on base all the time. We were never stopped, but it was well known that they could search your cars at any time before letting you drive through the gates of the base. This was a nuclear base...
One of my nephews had an in-law join the USMC. When he and his wife purchased a used car, they had the MPs check it for drug residue before driving it around. He wasn't sure if it was an apocryphal story but rumour was that after one NCO at the base had purchased a used car, drug residue was detected during a random check and he spent some "quality" time under arrest before the investigation cleared him.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:52 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
An, yes, our rate beats PG&E easily. 35Years here, and I just got my first window A/C (we had more 100 degree days last year, than the previous decade). Even running that, our electric (portion) bill was only $140 before taxes
That seems pretty high to me. I pay £47 a month for electricity (about $60), and I'm projected to end the year with a small surplus in my account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #40
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That seems pretty high to me. I pay £47 a month for electricity (about $60), and I'm projected to end the year with a small surplus in my account.
Harry, the only proper way to compare is to compare heating costs + electricity costs. Different climates have different electricity usage patterns. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic

Where I live, Southern US, our winters are January and February. March and half of April are Spring. The last half of November and December are Fall. Every thing else is Summer. And Summers generally are upper 90's to even low 100s with 100% humidity. It is December 30 and the high today is 75. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 77. I am still using my AC because the humidity is 99% right now. I guarantee you do not want to pay electrical bills here.
Apache
Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 AM   #42
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Where I live, Southern US, our winters are January and February. March and half of April are Spring. The last half of November and December are Fall. Every thing else is Summer. And Summers generally are upper 90's to even low 100s with 100% humidity. It is December 30 and the high today is 75. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 77. I am still using my AC because the humidity is 99% right now. I guarantee you do not want to pay electrical bills here.
Apache
It's really fascinating to read how it is in other climates (I'm not much of a traveler). Here it's winter in November through the first half of April, basically. The second half of April till the middle of June is spring (leaves appear on deciduous trees in mid-May, usually). September and October are autumn.

We see daylight for only 4-5 hours or so in November, December and January. 3 hours in the middle of this period. And even then the light is gray and watery, no direct sunlight. The artificial lights are on most of the time indoors. OTOH, in the middle of summer there is no real darkness at all. The sun sets for 3-4 hours, during that period it's twilight.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-30-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #43
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Harry, the only proper way to compare is to compare heating costs + electricity costs. Different climates have different electricity usage patterns. . .
Yep. We only use gas/heater for water. As such, our gas bill is always $10-15 regardless of season.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #44
Apache
Readaholic

My in-laws lived in Huntington Beach California. The weather never got below 50 or above 80 and the humidity was mostly zero. The sea breeze kept them cool during the day and the breeze off the land kept them warm at night. No AC and the only time they needed heat was mostly in early morning to take the chill out of the air. About 9:00 AM they would open all of the windows and enjoy perfect weather. I remember their utility bill being around $20.00 a month.
Apache
Old 12-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
To be complete, then, my gas bill (heating and hot water) is £34/month, so I'm paying a total of £81/month ($103) for all my fuel use.

With both gas and electricity it's a fixed monthly payment, although usage of course varies through the year. They estimate your annual usage based on previous years and divide that by 12 to get a monthly amount (which is generally pretty accurate). I use nearly all my annual gas use between about October and May, when I have the heating on. In summer, I use gas only for hot water, which is a negligible amount.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flash drive