Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #31
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomevegan View Post
desertgrandma, all three of those sites work with the Kindle?YES I am assuming since you have the Kindle and are recommending them. So all you do if you buy from a site other than the Kindle store is plug in the USB and drag and drop? Or do you have to convert?

I am starting to see the Kindle as a really good idea, just need to convince the family before the code expires.

Thanks to all of you who cleared up the confusion over the case! I hope I can be as helpful to other new users as you were to me.

Bob, That is a good point with the refund thing
YES! AND, you can download the MobileRead catalog, and Feedbooks catalog directly to your kindle and download from there to your Kindle if you choose, using Whispernet,.......otherwise, you can go to the sites with your computer, plug in your kindle and download that way, or download just to your laptop. Since the Kindle has whispernet, you can access mobileread from school or wherever, ( as long as you are in whispernet area) and check up on what going on in the forums. Has made many a boring doc appointment more cheerful for me!

Now, its up to others to tell you about buying books for the Kindle from other sites. I do know you just choose the "mobipocket" format, so there is no conversion needed. I haven't bought anything from anyone except Amazon, but I know you can.....I have over 250 books downloaded, most are free, but oh, mama, when I get extra bucks, I go to kindlebooks. And there are lots of books under the $9.99 mark, when a new best seller comes out, its sometimes priced higher, but just waiting a week or so will bring the price down.

I don't do audio books, or music, so I can't talk about that.

Good luck!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #32
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Yes I have seen the 2 main videos on the site and a few author comment videos. I like the fact that since it is from Amazon, and I have read you can buy the gift cards from CVS,(says so on Amazon) it will be easy to have friends and family help me fill it with some books

I was mainly concerned with:
The price (the $50 coupon should help)
what the case was made out of (apparently I was very wrong)
what file formats it can handle. (I guess I was wrong here too)

I will probably be getting most of the books from the Kindle store as it is the easiest way and can use the gift cards. That is if I do decide to go with the Kindle. I am trying to convince my family to buy one for me for the holidays (my bday is also in Dec. )

I do like many features on the Kindle. One being the dictionary lookup, the Sony does not have this if I am not mistaken.

I am very new to the whole ebook device thing. I have read a couple ebooks from my computer screen... pain in the eyes... and also have done audiobooks as well.

Does anyone know, if I have audiobooks on cd, is there any way to transfer them onto the Kindle? I have found a few at thrift stores, dollar stores etc I bought them before knowing anything about the Kindle or ereaders. If not there is always my iPod lol.
Not only that, but it seems like every few months, Amazon puts out a freebie book.

I do know that you can easily copy audio books onto the Kindle. I haven't done it, but that ability is specifically mentioned in the manual.

It really isn't important what you get, as long as it is something that you like and that suits you.

That said ... I second the idea of trying the Kindle out for a few weeks. Start out with the masses of free books that are available. If you don't like it ... return it ... and you won't even have spent a dime on ebooks.

Me .... I knew about five minutes into using my Kindle that it was absolutely perfect for me. I haven't changed my mind ... or even had a second thought about it since then.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Not only that, but it seems like every few months, Amazon puts out a freebie book.

I do know that you can easily copy audio books onto the Kindle. I haven't done it, but that ability is specifically mentioned in the manual.

It really isn't important what you get, as long as it is something that you like and that suits you.

That said ... I second the idea of trying the Kindle out for a few weeks. Start out with the masses of free books that are available. If you don't like it ... return it ... and you won't even have spent a dime on ebooks.

Me .... I knew about five minutes into using my Kindle that it was absolutely perfect for me. I haven't changed my mind ... or even had a second thought about it since then.
Exactly the way I feel......believe me, spending $359 for something I had never touched, or heard of before, wasn't easy. It took a lot of convincing for my husband, who isn't a reader, to agree.
I've never had a single regret, and even he agrees now........
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #34
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindleing since 11/4/08
I was browsing the guide for the Feedbooks use with a Kindle. I didn't realize I could just access them right through Whispernet so easily! I can also browse this forum and download ebooks from here over Whispernet?

I love you guys but you are making me really want a Kindle now! To think of all the harddrive space I save on my computer going straight from site to Kindle! I am really excited over the prospect of having my own Kindle. Even if I do get my family to order me one, I won't be able to have it until Christmas... 2 months! lol I didn't even know about them a week ago and now I want one so much!

If I can convince the family I will start with the Feedbooks and see how I like it. Great ideas everyone!
awesomevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #35
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I was browsing the guide for the Feedbooks use with a Kindle. I didn't realize I could just access them right through Whispernet so easily! I can also browse this forum and download ebooks from here over Whispernet? Yes.

I love you guys but you are making me really want a Kindle now! To think of all the harddrive space I save on my computer going straight from site to Kindle! I am really excited over the prospect of having my own Kindle. Even if I do get my family to order me one, I won't be able to have it until Christmas... 2 months! lol I didn't even know about them a week ago and now I want one so much!

If I can convince the family I will start with the Feedbooks and see how I like it. Great ideas everyone!
You don't have to start with Feedbooks, altho it is an excellent site. There are many outstanding books here. Look at the top, and click on "Ebooks". Select "MobiPocket" and then browse either by author or title.

Either site is wonderful, I just want you to realize what this site offers besides great help and info........
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

You will love it. Actually, if you keep an eye out and are open to new ebooks rather than have a specific list that you want to read, you could never need to buy an ebook. This is espesially true if you like SF/Fantasy as the baen free library will keep you reading forever. There are also Jeffery Carvers free books and every book by Cory Doctorow are free (on feedbooks) etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I love you guys but you are making me really want a Kindle now! To think of all the harddrive space I save on my computer going straight from site to Kindle!
I guess... but ebooks are pretty small espesially compared to music and pictures. I back up everything I buy on my PC.

BOb
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #38
awesomevegan
Connoisseur
awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.awesomevegan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You don't have to start with Feedbooks, altho it is an excellent site. There are many outstanding books here. Look at the top, and click on "Ebooks". Select "MobiPocket" and then browse either by author or title.

Either site is wonderful, I just want you to realize what this site offers besides great help and info........
I realize that this site has books as well. I think it is great that its a forum AND has books. One thing I like about the Feedbooks site is the ability to make lists! I am making a list on there now of some classics I would like to read.

Mainly romance, scifi, fantasy... that stuff. thanks again everyone!

Last edited by awesomevegan; 10-27-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #39
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You will love it. Actually, if you keep an eye out and are open to new ebooks rather than have a specific list that you want to read, you could never need to buy an ebook. This is espesially true if you like SF/Fantasy as the baen free library will keep you reading forever. There are also Jeffery Carvers free books and every book by Cory Doctorow are free (on feedbooks) etc.

BOb
I will look into those authors!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #40
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

You all were helpful in all your suggestions and with my misconceptions. I just wanted to let you all know that I heard from Amazon regarding the cover and you all were right! Here is the email they sent me! Very helpful and friendly!

Hello from Amazon.com.

Thanks for asking about the cover for Amazon Kindle. We're happy to answer any questions you have about this exciting new product.

The cover that comes packaged with Kindle is made from synthetic materials designed to imitate leather. There is no real leather used in the cover that we provide.

Additional information about Kindle's features is available in the Kindle User's Guide and on our Kindle Support pages at:

www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

To see the products available for Kindle, simply visit the Kindle Store at www.amazon.com/kindlestore.

I hope you found this information useful. Our goal is to help you get the most out of your Kindle experience.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle!

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=fdfhfbdf3246005584
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=fdfhfbdf3246005584

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section of our web site.

Best regards,

Sean C.
Amazon.com Customer Service
Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #41
Hit&Run
Hit&Run is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle wannabe
So colour me jealous!!! I just so want a Kindle: it's like I have a crush on the thing! But being outside of the US, alas I am denied access. I have this enormous Kindlebook wishlist on Amazon. It's pathetic, really. I have accepted that I may have to accept an interim alternative, and that even when I do get a Kindle I'll have to download books and load them via my PC, but I remain determined and I WILL get one!!!

Off topic, I know, and sorry for that, but oh, how I wish I could get one in my hot little hands!

HR
Hit&Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I also thought that the Sony was good for PDFs and didn't know that the Kindle could even do PDFs.
You were not incorrect - the Kindle will not read PDF files. They need to be converted, a process which may or may not work well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #43
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit&Run View Post
So colour me jealous!!! I just so want a Kindle: it's like I have a crush on the thing! But being outside of the US, alas I am denied access. I have this enormous Kindlebook wishlist on Amazon. It's pathetic, really. I have accepted that I may have to accept an interim alternative, and that even when I do get a Kindle I'll have to download books and load them via my PC, but I remain determined and I WILL get one!!!

Off topic, I know, and sorry for that, but oh, how I wish I could get one in my hot little hands!

HR
LOL I know what you mean... I want one too but I don't have one yet! Even if I order one, it will be a present from my parents so I wont get to have it in my "hot little hands" until Dec 25th!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #44
awesomevegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You were not incorrect - the Kindle will not read PDF files. They need to be converted, a process which may or may not work well.
Thank you! Is their a thread or a guide to learn how to do this?

I love all the other features of the Kindle so now I really want one. The PDF files arent that important, it was just something to consider.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you! Is their a thread or a guide to learn how to do this?

I love all the other features of the Kindle so now I really want one. The PDF files arent that important, it was just something to consider.
It's pretty easy. Just email it to your Kindle's email and Amazon will deliver it via Whispernet converted. IF the file is mostly text you get a pretty nice convertion. However, it is in Landscape mode. Now, if you want to go to mobi or text there are hundreds of threads on converting PDFs on this forum.

BOb