Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #31
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I can't find any reference to the use of pumice (which is mostly silicon dioxide) in papermaking. I would have expected to find a mention in this article at least. And it would be very surprising if it was used in paper but not mentioned here.

But talc (magnesium silicate) is certainly added. Did you mean talc?
I took a papermaking course sometime in the 1960s, I think. Or maybe the early 70s. That's when I learned about this. I remember them saying pumice but maybe I remember it wrong. I'm not sure.

I just did a bit of googling about this and I can't find any reference to pumice in paper so I'm not sure if the problem is with my memory or of I'm just out of date. Probably the former since if papermaking had simply changed I'd probably have found reference to that.

There are still some things I'm sure of. Toilet paper doesn't scratch my glasses. I've been using my current bifocals (reading and computer lenses) for about 6 or 7 years and they get cleaned at least once a week with toilet paper, the rest of the time with water and a microfiber cloth. They're still just fine. My trifocals are at least 12 or 13 years old and are still clear as can be. They don't get used as much or washed as much though.

As a whittler I often used Kleenex for the final smoothing on my carvings and I had to be careful not to overdo it because there was the risk of changing the shape. It's very rough stuff.

Also, another fact I picked up in that papermaking course which has proven itself true over the decades: if you get a cold and use Kleenex your nose gets red and sore. Use toilet paper and it doesn't.

So right or wrong (probably wrong) the thrust of what I said is probably still valid.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #32
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Raising hand. Jumping up and down. Yelling yes.
Cinisajoy is hereby removed from my list of probable geeks.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #33
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Cinisajoy is hereby removed from my list of probable geeks.

Barry
You have to understand Cinisajoy would read the toilet paper package if it was the only thing available.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
You have to understand Cinisajoy would read the toilet paper package if it was the only thing available.
As one of Heinlein's characters said:
"Anything, just as long as it is words in a row."
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #35
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i clean all screens, large and small with apple's iKlear. whatever is in it is a closely guarded secret, that not even google could crack for me, but it does a far better smear-free job that any other cleaner or sachet I have tried.
Knowing Apple, it'll be water. Special water.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #36
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Wife and I have had Kindles for several years. Both get cleaned regularly with a microfiber coth slightly damp which removed most. If that doesn't work its a microfiber with a spray of Isopropyl.

The wife's screen gets filthy, I clean that way more then mine (in fairness she reads way more then me) both screens are in pristine condition and show absolutely no signs of degrading.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
Wife and I have had Kindles for several years. Both get cleaned regularly with a microfiber coth slightly damp which removed most. If that doesn't work its a microfiber with a spray of Isopropyl.

The wife's screen gets filthy, I clean that way more then mine (in fairness she reads way more then me) both screens are in pristine condition and show absolutely no signs of degrading.
That's wrong. You should use a dry microfibre cloth and if that doesn't work, use some water with your cloth. But do not use any isopropyl.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #38
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i clean all screens, large and small with apple's iKlear. whatever is in it is a closely guarded secret, that not even google could crack for me, but it does a far better smear-free job that any other cleaner or sachet I have tried.

the bottle itself only confirms what is NOT in it - no alcohol, no ammonia, no sodium laurel sulphate..

as per the instructions i spray a little onto a microfiber cloth, NOT onto the screen then polish away..
it comes in various sized bundles, some with cloths &one time use sachets also bundled,
i use it on my glasses, my tablets & readers, PC monitors and TV screens.
Me too and it's absolutely excellent
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post

Or just take her chocolates away from her while she reads.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote