Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #31
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've used MS Word since about 1984 (or was it 83, hard to remember that far back.) I loved the DOS version of the program (and hated WordPerfect.) I use and know the Windows version of Word, I still have Word for DOS version 5.5 loaded on one machine here (and it still runs pure DOS.)

My wife retired about 10 years back (early out, buy out, call it what you want) and spends at least 2 days a week doing charity work. Recent projects have included making adaptive clothing for the disabled Vets and school uniforms for a poor country.

Me? I'm still working as there are mortgages to and bills to pay and the clients seem to want me to do something before they are willing to write the check (and not stop payment on it soon after.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #32
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I've used MS Word since about 1984 (or was it 83, hard to remember that far back.) I loved the DOS version of the program (and hated WordPerfect.) I use and know the Windows version of Word, I still have Word for DOS version 5.5 loaded on one machine here (and it still runs pure DOS.)
I never used Word that far back. I used to love WordPerfect, but it's had many interations since, likely. All I remember was that I though "Reveal Codes" was brilliant, against Word's (at the time) "I'm doing this in your table but I'm not giving you any explanation why or ability to reverse it without reversing something else". Likewise, I loved Lotus 1-2-3 (with "classic keys" and an understanding of how to easily create sheets-within-files that were "locked" together (in format).

Saying that, lest someone think I dislike all Microsoft products, well, aside from the usual suspects (security, format, cost, proprietary), I think Microsoft Outlook is a great email client/PIM. That's not to say I use it anymore (Thunderbird and Lightning here), but it did/does stuff very well for me at a work level, especially when combined with a Wondows Mobile phone and ActiveSync.

Quote:
My wife retired about 10 years back (early out, buy out, call it what you want) and spends at least 2 days a week doing charity work. Recent projects have included making adaptive clothing for the disabled Vets and school uniforms for a poor country.
Mine was a sort-of enforced retirement too. Financially very generous, though psychologically/emotionally crippling through feelings of betrayal and humiliation at the time (a long story you don't want to hear).

Please pass on kudos to your wife.

Quote:
Me? I'm still working as there are mortgages to and bills to pay and the clients seem to want me to do something before they are willing to write the check (and not stop payment on it soon after.)
Bastards. If only they could only, as we do, recognise your genius, Good Mister Wood, they'd be fighting each other to be first in line to pay you up front.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #33
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post

Mine was a sort-of enforced retirement too. Financially very generous, though psychologically/emotionally crippling through feelings of betrayal and humiliation at the time (a long story you don't want to hear).

Marc
mmmm - very similar - (not sure about the generous bittie though)...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness