Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-08-2008, 04:54 AM   #31
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Updated this feature. The problem with NYTimes and WSJ: they encode their HTML tags with HTML entities (which is plain ugly).

NYTimes: http://www.feedbooks.com/newspaper/287.mobi
WSJ: http://www.feedbooks.com/newspaper/10.mobi
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #32
iamnohs
iamnohs is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Hadrien - This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much. Whatever you did to fix the WSJ and NYT charset errors has also fixed several other feeds that were not working for me.

Now my challenge is to find some good full feeds. The partial feeds work well for getting a "quick-view" on the day from the WSJ, but I've discovered getting the first sentence of a commentary isn't going to cut it.

Does anyone have a good method for discovering full feeds? (Not for the WSJ, but just in general content that post full feeds.)

Again, you are doing amazing work.

Last edited by iamnohs; 07-08-2008 at 11:01 AM.
iamnohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 AM   #33
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnohs View Post
Hadrien - This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much. Whatever you did to fix the WSJ and NYT charset errors has also fixed several other feeds that were not working for me.

Now my challenge is to find some good full feeds. The partial feeds work well for getting a "quick-view" on the day from the WSJ, but I've discovered getting the first sentence of a commentary isn't going to cut it.

Does anyone have a good method for discovering full feeds? (Not for the WSJ, but just in general content that post full feeds.)

Again, you are doing amazing work.
For the BBC: http://www.barnesdmd.co.uk/stuff/bbc-full-feeds/
Otherwise you can try this script: http://labs.echoditto.com/fulltextrss

Don't know if a repository of full feeds exist, but it would be useful. Try several web 2.0 services and look for tags such as "full-feeds" otherwise.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #34
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Updated the links inside the file: http://www.feedbooks.com/newspaper/114.mobi
From the menu where you can access the Table of contents, there's links to the different sections of the newspaper. Those link will redirect you for the table of content of each feed. Should make navigation easier in a way similar to what mateo asked for.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #35
iamnohs

I am getting an application error while trying to get to my newspaper now...

Error 500
Application error :'(

http://www.feedbooks.com/newspaper/2275.mobi

I clicked on your link on the page for "This item is not working" as well.
Advert
Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #36
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
I am getting an application error while trying to get to my newspaper now...

Error 500
Application error :'(

http://www.feedbooks.com/newspaper/2275.mobi

I clicked on your link on the page for "This item is not working" as well.
It's a problem with mobigen on the first item of your newspaper. Can't do much to help on this issue (mobigen is still in alpha for Linux). Try the ePub and PDF output, you'll see that it works. If you remove the first item, the Mobipocket output will work.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #37
iamnohs

Thank you so much, Hadrien! I will know to only add one new feed at a time and test its compatibility going forward. It's up and running now.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #38
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Thank you so much, Hadrien! I will know to only add one new feed at a time and test its compatibility going forward. It's up and running now.
Nah, add a bunch of them and once on the page of your newspaper if you have a problem you can directly access those feeds and try them separately.

I'll see what I can do, but getting something that works with 100% of the feeds is pretty tough.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #39
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Added a section in the help page for the Kindle: http://www.feedbooks.com/help/kindle#rss

There's also new images/embed codes for the feeds and newspapers. You can put them on your blog/website if you'd like your visitors to read the feed in PDF/ePub/Mobipocket.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #40
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Hadrien, I'm trying to build a newspaper with 9 feeds from the L.A. Times (since my Kindle version doesn't have images).

After selecting MobiPocket/Kindle for my template, I clicked on "OK". Now I get this little swirly "I'm working" thing that won't stop. Have I added to many feeds at one time and it's just taking a while to build or has it hung on me. Here is my paper link if it helps.

http://www.feedbooks.com/newspaper/2432

Also, when I was building the paper I forgot to rename each feed from "Newspaper Item" to whatever. I tried to click on the little red "x" next to the feed because the image text said "edit" instead of delete. Logic does say that a little red "x" would mean delete, so bad on me but it would be nice to be able to edit as well without having to start over.

Thanks.

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-12-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Changed to "clicked on OK"
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #41
Tali
Tali began at the beginning.

Device: still bcowsing
Hey Hadrien,

I'm new, but this seems like it might solve my problem. Thanks so much!
Since you sound like you know you're stuff, maybe you could tell me, why images don't render in the final PDF?

Thanks
Tali
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #42
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong and got past the swirly thing and set up my feeds. Now, when I download them to my computer and transfer to my Kindle, I have feeds with nothing but headlines.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #43
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong and got past the swirly thing and set up my feeds. Now, when I download them to my computer and transfer to my Kindle, I have feeds with nothing but headlines.
So, what was wrong with the subscribe feature ?
I took a look at the feeds that you're using, aside from the title, there's nothing in it: http://feeds.latimes.com/latimes/news/local?format=xml

Quote:
Hey Hadrien,

I'm new, but this seems like it might solve my problem. Thanks so much!
Since you sound like you know you're stuff, maybe you could tell me, why images don't render in the final PDF?

Thanks
Tali
Downloading images for a dozen feeds could basically take a very long time and therefore timeout. I would like to avoid this mess as much as possible and will add support for the images once we're not sending queries to the third party servers anymore, but rather using a cache system.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
So, what was wrong with the subscribe feature ?
I took a look at the feeds that you're using, aside from the title, there's nothing in it: http://feeds.latimes.com/latimes/news/local?format=xml
As I said, I was selecting MobiPocket/Kindle for my template and clicking "OK", when I got the little swirly thing (see image). I thought that clicking "OK" was subscribing me to all of the feeds at once. Somehow, I figured that I had to click on each feed to subscribe.

I don't know why my pages are blank except for the titles. I'm going to scrap everything and start fresh but it will be a couple days before I can get to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fb.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	14320  
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #45
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
As I said, I was selecting MobiPocket/Kindle for my template and clicking "OK", when I got the little swirly thing (see image). I thought that clicking "OK" was subscribing me to all of the feeds at once. Somehow, I figured that I had to click on each feed to subscribe.

I don't know why my pages are blank except for the titles. I'm going to scrap everything and start fresh but it will be a couple days before I can get to it.
Probably a bug with the subscription on the newspaper. It would have created a subscription on the newspaper itself, which contains all the feeds rather than individual subscriptions on each feed.

As for the blank pages except for the title, it's normal, you're using feeds with nothing in them except a title. Scraping and starting again won't change a thing, you need to use feeds that contain something in them, not just the title.

Tags
rss kindle feedbooks