Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
More memory.
Page turn buttons.
Books in Archive listed in collections so I can find them to redownload.
Compatible with Calibre Companion.

Don't really need fonts, line spacing, ect changes. Don't know why they wouldn't. It can't be hard to impliment.

Don't need waterproofing more than enough to hold up if it's drizzling.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #32
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
What I'd really like is to get rid of a bunch of features that add to cost and slow the device.

No light.
No 3G or Wi-Fi. Manage books by usb and calibre.
No dictionary or internal searching of books so no indexing to slow things down.

I would like compatibility with Calibre Companion and enough memory to hold my entire library. With Calibre I wouldn't need collections to find my books.

A SD slot would be nice

I really don't need bells and whistles just a really efficient device to manage and read my entire library.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #33
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
You mean the Kindle should imitate the way ADE lies about page numbers? No thanks -- I always considered this one of the pluses of having a Kindle.
Yes. It's one of the main reasons I might never try another e-reader.

I've gotten so used to the 2400 characters a page I've set for Count Pages, that I can now instantly see how 'thick' an e-book is, and I can immediately estimate the time a book will take me to read.

2400 makes my e-books mostly ~10-15% 'thinner' than standard paperbacks, as Count Pages does obviously not take whitespace into account, while it would lower the average number of characters per page. If I had to do it again, I'd use 2200. Ah well, it would only make the books look thicker, and I'm now used to 2400, so I'll leave it at that
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #34
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Water resistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'd happily settle for a real water-resistant case that wasn't either a glorified plastic bag or an expensive Fort Knox type contraption. Something like the old M-Edge Leisure Jacket for use near the pool. I can't find anything like this for the PW.
The Samsung Galaxy s5 smart phone is water resistant and can be submerged under water for a short time without problems.

Thus, it is possible to do that for the Kindles.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #35
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statch View Post
Physical page turn buttons. That's the only thing I miss from the device I had before the PW.
Count me in on this! I have thumb issues and not having to move my thumb to change the pages is most welcome on my K4NT. Yes, keep the touch screen, it would be very convenient for navigating, typing, etc. but for page turning I would like the option of page turn buttons just like the ones on the K4NT.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #36
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The kobo Aura flush screen just seems to me to be another layer between us and the screen. I don't see how a flush screen is possible without doing that, so I'd settle for a much smaller recess, say 0.25mm.
+1M

A flush screen will only increase the gap between the top layer and actual eink screen. The front lights have to be squeezed in between somewhere, right? If they go for flush screen, they'll be sacrificing clarity for style while adding nothing.

I hope the lab geeks are strong enough to say no to this.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #37
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
What I'd really like is to get rid of a bunch of features that add to cost and slow the device.

No light.
No 3G or Wi-Fi. Manage books by usb and calibre.
No dictionary or internal searching of books so no indexing to slow things down.

I would like compatibility with Calibre Companion and enough memory to hold my entire library. With Calibre I wouldn't need collections to find my books.

A SD slot would be nice

I really don't need bells and whistles just a really efficient device to manage and read my entire library.
I think you're looking for a whole new device altogether...
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 AM   #38
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I think he's hoping for a return of the 2006-2007 era readers...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:27 AM   #39
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
+1M

A flush screen will only increase the gap between the top layer and actual eink screen. The front lights have to be squeezed in between somewhere, right? If they go for flush screen, they'll be sacrificing clarity for style while adding nothing.

I hope the lab geeks are strong enough to say no to this.
The LEDs for the light are, AFAIK, not in the space between the screen in the bezel, but rather on the same plane as the light diffusing layer. The kobo aura does indeed seem as if they went the easy way and just filled the gap with another layer, but that doesn't mean it's only way to do it.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #40
frogette
frogette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Keyboard
- physical buttons (my number one wish by far!)
- better definition
- possibility to sideload fonts
- finer tuning of line spacing and font and margin sizes
frogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #41
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
For me :

- Perfectly even lighting, though that is already the case with my 1st gen Paperwhite.
- Higher resolution.
- 7" display.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
1. Same size device with larger screen. I've always felt the screen was too small. They could easily increase the height of the screen since the bezel is so large. They could also increase the width by reducing the bezel size. After no real upgrade in 2013 I think increased screen size would be considered a true upgrade for the PW. If you compared a 6.75" Kindle PW with the 6" screen competition, the PW would win out easily.

The optimum line length for a book is probably in the 80 to 95 characters per line range. Based on my preferred font size and the narrowest margins allowed, my Kindle only gets around 50 characters per line. If I do landscape I can fit more characters, but it would be nice to have more screen real estate.
A few/several years ago Sony PRS-9xx series had elongated 7" screens which were a great size for landscape reading. Don't expect that stick-in-the-muds at Amazon to ever offer anything that useful though.

Quote:
2. Faster processor. I still find the PW2 to be sluggish. It's not a deal breaker, obviously, but faster responsiveness would be welcome.
Meh.....eInk is what it is, a slow antiquated, low resolution screen whose time has come and gone.

Quote:
3. Greater control over line spacing and margin spacing. I'm used to Microsoft Word where you can control everything having to do with margins, spacing, font sizes, etc.
A simple firmware fix could give us this and much more as far as formatting goes. Amazon could update FW for existing readers, but the stick-in-the-muds won't do that. This has been the top request for years, but Amazon is stuck with their "we will give you what we want to and you can like it or not" attitude.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #43
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The Samsung Galaxy s5 smart phone is water resistant and can be submerged under water for a short time without problems.

Thus, it is possible to do that for the Kindles.
Great. But that's not what I'm looking for, nor do I necessarily think that's a worthwhile investment for Kindles.

I'm simply looking for a cover that will 1) work with the touch screen, 2) that is not either a glorified plastic bag or an armored fort like the expensive waterproof case. I'm trying to protect it from spills, sand, etc. at the pool or beach, not go swimming with it.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #44
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I would like a higher resolution screen and the ability to darken the fonts. A better margin adjustment would be nice as well.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yet again, Kobo has beaten Amazon to the punch when it comes to superior Reader hardware.

What I'd have liked to have seen hardware wise in a new Kindle, has just been done with the Kobo Aura H20.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote