Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Could touch technology improve your reading experience?
Yes 58 65.17%
No 12 13.48%
Maybe 19 21.35%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Harry, I hate splitting that hair (hi Nat )), but your original question was not whether the iLiad could support pressure information (IF you had the right stylus and IF the software supported it), but how the iLiad screen differed from the PVI screen. Clearly, there is a difference, in that the iLiad would require auxiliary devices to receive this information (by itself, it knows nothing about pressure), whereas the PVI screen has the technology built-in.
I completely agree with you that there is a difference. The PVI screen senses pressure from the screen itself; in the iLiad the pressure information is supplied by the stylus. No arguments there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #32
Jason
Jason began at the beginning.

video-pvi touch screen demo

Portalinks Epaper on Windows CE OS -- Part I
:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZsGnwTEN4
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #33
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
The question is interestingly phrased. I said yes, even though my reading experience will hopefully be completely unaffected by a touch screen. What will dramatically improve is my writing experience... which currently doesn't work at all. I imagine if I got the right pen I could write on my liseuse, but quite probably only once.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #34
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
The question is interestingly phrased. I said yes, even though my reading experience will hopefully be completely unaffected by a touch screen. What will dramatically improve is my writing experience... which currently doesn't work at all. I imagine if I got the right pen I could write on my liseuse, but quite probably only once.

actually i *already* have touch screen and writing capabilities on my eb1150 (but not handwriting recognition), but i voted "yes" because i found them unexpectedly useful : touch screen allows me to easily look up a word in the dictionary simply by touching the word (i can use the stylus to avoid getting fingerprints on the screen) and the note-taking feature is brilliant when i am reading a PG text which i have formatted myself : i can mark all the OCR errors or incorrect punctuation or format problems as i am reading, to correct them later ; then i can use the "search" feature to search for markups, and jump from one error to the next. it saves a lot of time and effort. i would love for my future e-ink liseuse to also have these features.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'm currently writing a paper about the pedagogical value of annotating text. Dennis Sumara makes a compelling case for reading and annotating as a focal exercise worth practicing. I've never been able to bring myself to feel comfortable writing in paper books, but I've found I love scribbling on my ebooks (though I can only currently do that with the PDF ones, which have their own limitations). That's why I keep hoping something like DotReader will eventually be ported to the iLiad. (Except that the DotReader website is still down after a week, leading me to wonder if that project is dead.)

Anyhoo, my point is that responding while reading is, for many, an integral part of reading, so having some kind of input can be seen as critical. I happen to prefer pen input, though many would be happy with the sort of keyboard in the Kindle, I'm sure.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #36
Walk Broad
Connoisseur
Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Walk Broad once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Tablet PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
By "don't work", I assume they mean "don't work well". I've owned a couple of Tablet PCs. Handwriting recognition is something that has to work perfectly, or it isn't worth it. At first you think it does, you start to use it, and then things start to go "Point Blimfark", to borrow a phrase recently exposed here.
They "don't work".
Although this is for reading devices, having owned and used tablet pcs for 3 years, I have to argue they "do work".

Nothing is perfect, put using the TIP in XP Tablet Edition and writing in cursive gives me a 90 - 95% accuracy rate with no training.

And any hand writing recognition enabled software (like OneNote) is 100% since it is capturing exactly what YOU write. WYSIWYG.
Walk Broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #37
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
One thing I'm curious about is that if the basic technology here could also be used in the "readius-like" device. Logically a fully flexible touchscreen would be too difficult right now, but I'm thinking that maybe you could embed sensors into the rigid backing?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:15 AM   #38
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I vote for a definite yes.

A killer feature would be to be able to flip pages / zoom and pan with the touch of a finger just like the iPhone picture viewer.

The touchscreeen must however be sensitively enough to allow handwriting with a pen.

A "real" touchscreen would allow us to get away of this WACOM stuff, with their redicolous pricing politics, and its pervasive writing gap.

Last edited by axel77; 05-26-2008 at 04:36 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #39
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'm currently writing a paper about the pedagogical value of annotating text....
A link to the final paper is posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25173
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #40
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
heck, i can't read shopping lists i wrote an hour ago unless i print them

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It can never "work perfectly", I don't think - or at least not if your handwriting is as bad as mine. I can't read my own handwriting a week after I've written something, so I wouldn't expect a machine to be able to .

Seriously, I think that "perfection" is a rather unrealistic goal.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 AM   #41
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't read my own handwriting a week after I've written something, so I wouldn't expect a machine to be able to .
I do expect machines to be able to do things I can't.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e ink, pvi, touch screen