Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #31
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
my kids, bless them, say that txt-speak is for poseurs. Their texts to me are short, but well spelled and even punctuated properly.
For a long time I refused to text. As the father of three young teens, I actually called to ask 'Where are you?', 'What are you doing?', 'What time will you be home?', etc.

They would always encourage me to text them instead because actually having to answer and talk was so ... they had no word, but the word they were looking for must have been profane if the looks on their faces while mentally searching for it was any indication.

We finally reached a compromise. I have one multipurpose text that asks all of these questions. I text ...

A

... and that means, 'Where are you?', 'What are you doing?', and 'What time will you be home?'. It worked well for years. So long as I get a response in a reasonable time, I won't call.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's even shorter than text code! But I suppose as it really is a code, as opposed to abbreviated-to-a-letter words, I'd be okay with that. (Shouldn't you be typing "W"?)

I'd try it with my wife, but she hates it when I check up on her. She's the kind of person who leaves her phone off until she wants to call someone... turns it on, makes the call... and turns it off again, even if she only left a message. Texting her is pretty much pointless.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #33
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
That's even shorter than text code! But I suppose as it really is a code, as opposed to abbreviated-to-a-letter words, I'd be okay with that. (Shouldn't you be typing "W"?)

I'd try it with my wife, but she hates it when I check up on her. She's the kind of person who leaves her phone off until she wants to call someone... turns it on, makes the call... and turns it off again, even if she only left a message. Texting her is pretty much pointless.
Where longer texts are required, I admit to the occasional 'r', 'u' and 'y'.

My kids use T9, or some similar function, that guesses at the word they're trying to text and completes it for them. This has resulted in some humorous (and not so humorous) misunderstandings.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #34
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
"Amercia" is a perfect reference to the later point in the article. I heard about that gaffe on Friday, and thought it was hilarious.

And it's so indicative of the concurrent lack of proofing and editing that's being done on documents. The one downside to the web and instant communications is that everyone wants to post their content NOW, they won't take the time to proof anything.
Very true, and posts in forums are an obvious example. I'm as guilty as anyone.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #35
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm not a texter, but when I do text, I'll take any avenue of brevity possible, because:
1. I don't have a keyboard on my phone...any text entry is annoying so I won't type two chars when one will do.
2. I don't have unlimited messaging, so it costs me money to send messages, and more if I go over 160 chars (or whatever SMS length is).
3. It's fun to see how few characters I can encode meaning into, like in the story about the Voltaire/Frederick dinner invitation.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #36
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Here are links to a couple of interesting articles (with links to more interesting articles) on "hopefully" as a shibboleth.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3982

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3983
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #37
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I actually got an email from a colleage at work recently with the subject line: R U in 2Day?

I almost hit the SPAM button because I thought it was just impossible that someone at work would use text-language for business! When I (not so politely) checked to make sure it really was from her, she said she was typing on her Blackberry and wasn't good at typing out long words.

Interestingly, she hasn't sent any more of that crap since I asked.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #38
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I can wait.

I mean, seriously. I'll be glad to wait a long, long time.
Ohhh I hear you, I hear you loud and clear.
Amen to that my brother.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #39
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Ok...but then by what standard does anyone claim to know "what a word means?" What informs your disagreement?
The point is that no English dictionary (that I know of) claims to be an authority. If the majority of English users start referring to cats by the word "dogs", the Oxford English Dictionary will duly change the definition. The "vox populi" is the standard, according to all the dictionaries.

I think that this can result in some useful distinctions between words disappearing. If 99% of the people start spelling lose as "loose", that doesn't necessarily require me to follow suit.

On the other hand, some of the old rules seem stupid. English infinitives consist of two words, unless clarity is destroyed, I feel free to split them. I see no reason not to put a preposition at the end of a sentence.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #40
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm not a texter, but when I do text, I'll take any avenue of brevity possible, because:
I don't always text, but when I do, I text Dos Equis.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #41
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
If I had any Karma left, you good sir (or lady), would be receiving some.

I hate misspelling. Still, I do it all the time. Self-loathing is a heartless bitch.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
da*n straight!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
A dictionary is just a useful tool, and it becomes a lot less useful if the meanings of words have shifted to the point where the dictionary meaning isn't in sync with the way the word is commonly used.
That's precisely why dictionaries are important, because they track the changes in the meaning of a word over time. A good example is the word "nice", which has radically changed its meaning many times over the centuries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
For a long time I refused to text. As the father of three young teens, I actually called to ask 'Where are you?', 'What are you doing?', 'What time will you be home?', etc.

They would always encourage me to text them instead because actually having to answer and talk was so ... they had no word, but the word they were looking for must have been profane if the looks on their faces while mentally searching for it was any indication.

We finally reached a compromise. I have one multipurpose text that asks all of these questions. I text ...

A

... and that means, 'Where are you?', 'What are you doing?', and 'What time will you be home?'. It worked well for years. So long as I get a response in a reasonable time, I won't call.
I used the T1. Was faster than translating to text . Now i have a smartphone, works better
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #45
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I use my cell phone exactly the same way. In addition, I have all texting blocked and never do it myself, which annoys my children to no end
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credibility, grammar, spelling, writing tips