Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #31
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
It's incredibly easy to set up the nookTablet to install apk's from alternate sources. What, other than installing a different version of Android, would a permanent root of the device offer that you can't already do?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #32
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
It's incredibly easy to set up the nookTablet to install apk's from alternate sources. What, other than installing a different version of Android, would a permanent root of the device offer that you can't already do?
What I need to see is if the root access allows you to use all 16GB. Right now, the NT can only load 1GB of user content.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #33
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakura82 View Post
What I need to see is if the root access allows you to use all 16GB. Right now, the NT can only load 1GB of user content.
Root access wouldn't give you that, you would need to repartition the internal flash memory to adjust the sizes to your liking. That would require also a full installation of the OS afterwards, as obviously the OS would be wiped as part of the reformatting.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #34
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

It's still possible that B&N will set things up to allow store reps to repartition it, as they did with the nookColor.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #35
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Root access wouldn't give you that, you would need to repartition the internal flash memory to adjust the sizes to your liking. That would require also a full installation of the OS afterwards, as obviously the OS would be wiped as part of the reformatting.
Oddly enough there are reports at XDA that once rooted you can, in fact access all the memory.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
It's still possible that B&N will set things up to allow store reps to repartition it, as they did with the nookColor.
That's a big if. The Color also allowed easy root, but B&N stopped that this time around. If they were going to allow repartition, it should've happened coming out of the gate.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #37
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Oddly enough there are reports at XDA that once rooted you can, in fact access all the memory.
Once rooted you can "see" the data in the partition, but you can't use it for your own storage. Being able to see that data allows you do to backups, for instance.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #38
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You know, I need to test it more. I think some of the applications I am installing from the Good Market on my rooted device ARE going into the 15GB area. The 1GB limit might be for media (which still stinks).

Quote:
They wouldn't do it for me. I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The Best Buy tablets are sold out. The Transformer is an in store purchase only, and if you're not in line by now (or shortly thereafter), you can forget that one too.
My wife just bought two Acer Iconia Tab A100 for us from BB. She managed to magically get the $190 deals without actually waiting in line. One guy gave her a ticket and another one sold her one for a few bucks (which is pretty nasty, but whatever).

After rooting the the Nook Tablet, it is certainly able to do a WHOLE lot more. Now I need to see if I can actually read on this think. I still haven't found a reader app that will allow exporting of notes...

oh... and oddly enough... I can't seem to get copy and pasting to work on the NT. I have no idea why...

Okay. tired. Bed time.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
My wife just bought two Acer Iconia Tab A100 for us from BB. She managed to magically get the $190 deals without actually waiting in line. One guy gave her a ticket and another one sold her one for a few bucks (which is pretty nasty, but whatever).
good job. That makes three of us on this board (that I'm aware of) who have one - you, me, and DreamWriter. I ordered mine online, so I don't expect it until some time next week. We'll have to compare notes.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #40
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
This one is too much hassle. Just not worth messing with this time around. Instead, I'm getting a so-called full Android tablet at a cheaper BF price.
To be fair, it's just a batch file and some drivers. No more hassle than the NC was.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #41
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
You know, I need to test it more. I think some of the applications I am installing from the Good Market on my rooted device ARE going into the 15GB area. The 1GB limit might be for media (which still stinks).
That's how it works, applications, and their data, will be installed in the 10GB /data partition, unless you move them to the SD card.

The 1GB partition is akin to an SD card.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #42
jasonkchapman
Guru

Quote:
That's a big if. The Color also allowed easy root, but B&N stopped that this time around. If they were going to allow repartition, it should've happened coming out of the gate.
Technically, they didn't stop easy root. They just went with a locked boot loader, so root only gets you so far. The rooting process itself is pretty basic.

Based on comments at XDA, it's likely that the locked boot loader is a requirement of having access to Netflix's HD streams. If so, it's a case of DRM strikes again--this time from the studios. Considering the market space it's going into, I can understand B&N's going that way.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #43
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
good job. That makes three of us on this board (that I'm aware of) who have one - you, me, and DreamWriter. I ordered mine online, so I don't expect it until some time next week. We'll have to compare notes.
I will start a thread on it soon. I have used a lot of the functionality thus far, but I have yet to really test out the various reader apps I installed. Reader apps have always been a thorn in my side. I am starting to think that it's highly unlikely that any tablet will replace my PRS-950 (for reading that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
To be fair, it's just a batch file and some drivers. No more hassle than the NC was.
Rooting the Nook was easy. Unrooting was not easy. The script currently out there failed badly. So, i have to run the terminal and manually type out every command from the script. That sucked. It took at least 45 minutes to get it right. I feel bad for anyone who really wanted to unroot but was unable to due to a lack of technical know-how.

Btw, I returned both the Nooks I bought yesterday. I am so surprised with Barnes & Nobles' customer service! I expected a fight and to my astonishment, they reacted in quite the opposite fashion that I expected. So, double kudos to B&N!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #44
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
There is no rooting necessary to get full Android functionality...So there is no unrooting...I presently have downloaded numerous apps from Kindles app store with no probs and the Kindle reading app as well on my new Color Tablet..Do a search on "Enabling third party apps" All you have to do is un-check the box on the CT to load apps of unknown origin...
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #45
bakura82
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
There is no rooting necessary to get full Android functionality...So there is no unrooting...I presently have downloaded numerous apps from Kindles app store with no probs and the Kindle reading app as well on my new Color Tablet..Do a search on "Enabling third party apps" All you have to do is un-check the box on the CT to load apps of unknown origin...
Rooting for NT is simply a script that installs SU, GoLauncher, Gapps, and etc. With essentially one click on the PC, full functionality of Gapps intregration like a normal Andriod OS would kick in. You could sign with Google and get access to the Market and such. Singing on to B&N was bypassed and with Go, you never have to look at the B&N home screen. It essentially creates the Droid 2.3 environment.

Sideloading without this proved to be very difficult for me and sometimes just didn't work. I managed to get the Amazon app store on initially which allowed me to install GoLauncher, but I wasn't able to actually get the Launcher working right. I ended up having to remove all that stuff and do the full root.