Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #31
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by travfar View Post
Amazon has still messed up the pricing. The KSO should cost more, not less. Those special offers are just like Amazon handing you money. My Kindle 3 has paid for itself about 3 times over in the last 2 months.
That's exactly why I went with KSO K4s, I want to get in on some of the deals. Especially when I realized I haven't even noticed a screensaver on my K3 in the past 6 months.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I love using the physical keyboard to take notes on my K3. I'm not so sure that I would like having to use the directional pad to maneuvor to each letter. Sounds very slow and cumbersome.
That's how it looks, very slow. I was thinking of going for it, since it had the page turn buttons, but not when keyboard navigation is like that...
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #33
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
That's how it looks, very slow. I was thinking of going for it, since it had the page turn buttons, but not when keyboard navigation is like that...
Agreed. Out of the new ones, I think I would go for the touch 3G. I use the keyboard too much to suffer through the clunky interface for the new non-touch model.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #34
jermyzy
Enthusiast
jermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4
Okay, looks like I'm ordering the non-touch Kindle model. For my purposes, I think lack of keyboard/touchscreen will be okay, as I use it solely for reading (I don't take notes or anything). The only problem is if I'm trying to browse the amazon store while travelling, as I would download most of my books at home before travelling and I can probably do that on my PC. At $79, it's cheap enough that if I really want a touch model, I can purchase that next year
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #35
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
Okay, looks like I'm ordering the non-touch Kindle model. For my purposes, I think lack of keyboard/touchscreen will be okay, as I use it solely for reading (I don't take notes or anything). The only problem is if I'm trying to browse the amazon store while travelling, as I would download most of my books at home before travelling and I can probably do that on my PC. At $79, it's cheap enough that if I really want a touch model, I can purchase that next year
It does have wifi so getting books while traveling shouldn't be a problem.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #36
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Ok, just checked the Amazon website. The Kindle is $79 with Special Offers; and $109 without. Still good prices, but I'm not as excited as I was. It is available now. The others are on pre-order to be "released" on November 21.
I was always someone who thought that I'd never want a SO Kindle. I have a K3 with special offers and like it very much- I've used several of the offers already.

I pre-ordered the Fire and ordered the $79 Kindle. I was very impressed with all the choices and the price points- Amazon hit it out of the park this morning.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

I pre-ordered the Fire this morning. I initially decided to not go with any of the new eInk models as I have a K3 WiFi SO which I love. But then I thought why not order the non-touch SO and give it a spin around the block? Amazon has a really nice return policy and the price is right. Not sure I will like that silver bezel or the lack of a physical keyboard, but what the heck I'm giving it a try. Mine should be delivered tomorrow! it might go back Friday, but at least I can try it out.

EDIT: I definitely don't want a touchscreen model. Tried several but didn't like them. The non-touch does have physical page buttons.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-28-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #38
jermyzy
Enthusiast
jermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura aboutjermyzy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4
Which sleeve would you guys recommend? My first ereader so I've never tried any of them. Want to order at same time as I'm shipping to US and want to only make one trip. Do you guys recommend getting the ones from Amazon (e.g. the Built Everest neoprene sleeve) or just source a cheaper generic one locally?
jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #39
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Be aware that the non touch kindle appears to lack TTS and indeed any audio capability. This really kills it for me.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #40
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Be aware that the non touch kindle appears to lack TTS and indeed any audio capability. This really kills it for me.
Good catch, thanks! I hadn't noticed the omission of those two features. No matter for me though as I've never used either one with my K3.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #41
jessejhein
jessejhein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX G
Also note the non touch kindle has half the battery life and half the memory space of the touch and even the keyboard versions. That still gets you a claimed 1 month of life and 2 GB of memory, but it should be noted.

*EDIT* Of course it's also about 1.5 oz lighter. So that's to the good.

Last edited by jessejhein; 09-28-2011 at 03:17 PM.
jessejhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #42
Zzyzx
Enthusiast
Zzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura aboutZzyzx has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Opus, Odyssey Frontlight, Kobo Mini
I have a K3. I use it for reading only. The only "extraordinary" thing I do with it is to look up a word in the dictionary, but that happens about once a month. I hate the keyboard, it's annoying as he**. I really need to sell the K3 and go for the nifty little non-touch one. It will suit my needs perfectly.

How much can I get for a K3 nowadays?
Zzyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #43
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
For some strange reason, people on eBay are paying more for used Kindles than they would if they purchased them brand new! Its crazy!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #44
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
I have a K3. I use it for reading only. The only "extraordinary" thing I do with it is to look up a word in the dictionary, but that happens about once a month. I hate the keyboard, it's annoying as he**. I really need to sell the K3 and go for the nifty little non-touch one. It will suit my needs perfectly.

There are a lot of diehards who prefer the keyboard, so I bet you can get a decent amount. The screen should be as good as the newer models.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #45
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Very tempted to get the 79$ model and sell my k3 wifi...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote